cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam and Robo Calls

bnathanson
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Since I joined Public Mobile in 2019, I have been receiving unsolicited robocalls from various sources (800 numbers, +86 or +852, numbers, etc). These are mostly in Mandarin and appear to be from banks from what I can tell. Annoying but as they are infrequent I just ignore them.

Recently I began receiving spam calls from a variety of different (437) 345 xxxx (i.e. Public Mobile Toronto numbers) at 1 hour intervals 2 or 3 times per day. 

Does anyone have any info about what this could be and more importantly how to put a stop to it? Surely Telus/Public Mobile must have some idea of how to prevent spurious and flagrant violations of the do not call register from numbers within its own number registry?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

@bnathanson 

If your phone number has some kind of "history" which makes it a target - the previous owner signed up for all kinds of spam you don't want - then just change the number. No guarantee a new random number will be better than an old random number, but it certainly can't end up much worse, lol. PM allows you to change your number through Self-Serve at no cost (once per 30-day billing cycle, anyhow).

You can install dialer and texting apps which allow number blocking with wildcards and ranges.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@bnathanson wrote:

Since I joined Public Mobile in 2019, I have been receiving unsolicited robocalls from various sources (800 numbers, +86 or +852, numbers, etc). These are mostly in Mandarin and appear to be from banks from what I can tell. Annoying but as they are infrequent I just ignore them.

Recently I began receiving spam calls from a variety of different (437) 345 xxxx (i.e. Public Mobile Toronto numbers) at 1 hour intervals 2 or 3 times per day. 

Does anyone have any info about what this could be and more importantly how to put a stop to it? Surely Telus/Public Mobile must have some idea of how to prevent spurious and flagrant violations of the do not call register from numbers within its own number registry?

Thanks!

the first part of your issue, call from 852 and mandarin.. that sound like an issue with recycled number... unless the number you are using with Public now is a number you have been using before PM and you ported into PM

For the 2nd part about (437) 345 xxxx.. is your number from the same area code and exchange?  if so, this is the trick those Robo calls are using.. those ppl try to make up numbers from the same area code and exchange to make it more "real",  there is nothing we can do.  Not an issue with PM alone.  

@bnathanson 

If it is really bad, you could try to change your phone number.  However, no guarantees that your new number won't have the same issue.  

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@bnathanson wrote:

Thanks!

THese are all just random and not targeted.  I get them on my work phone as well and just as often and it is on Bell

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@bnathanson , I don't believe spam calls target specific carrier brands.  We all receive the annoying calls when our phone number lands in the spammers database.  All we can do is use the call blocking feature in our calling app.  

bnathanson
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Good idea but unfortunately they never use the same number twice...

@bnathanson wrote:

Thanks!

@bnathanson Your best option would be likely to block repeated calls from the same number. Unfortunately, rule breakers aren't going to care about the DNCL.

Need Help? Let's chat.