cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Someone is using my phone number to make calls without my knowledge

Guannan
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

For some reason I could not submit a ticket as it keeps saying there is an error in submitting my ticket.

I received a call today and the lady said her husband keeps getting phone calls from my number. Her husband acturally picked up today but onlt heard noises.

I do not know them and can confirm I did not call them from my phone. 

I am trying to figure out what is going on, is my phone number involved in some kinda or scam or spam? 

8 REPLIES 8

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Guannan wrote:

Hello,

For some reason I could not submit a ticket as it keeps saying there is an error in submitting my ticket.
I received a call today and the lady said her husband keeps getting phone calls from my number. Her husband acturally picked up today but onlt heard noises.
I do not know them and can confirm I did not call them from my phone. 
I am trying to figure out what is going on, is my phone number involved in some kinda or scam or spam? 

Here's what I'd recommend, @Guannan .

DON'T answer calls from ANYONE who isn't already on your contact list. (unless it's a number you recognize or one you're expecting a call from)

Even these people claiming they're getting 'calls from your number', could be spoofing you by gaining information from you during such calls.   It's a very elaborate process and one which can fool many people into subtly giving out seemingly harmless information.

My rule of thumb is simple:

NEVER answer any calls from numbers/people you either don't recognize or are not on your contact list.  It can be difficult to ignore a call, but you will get used to it.  

If the person calling you needs you that badly, they will leave a voice message; if they don't bother leaving one, you likely didn't need to hear from them in the first place.

If the person bothers to leave a message saying you called them (and you know you didn't - check your outgoing call record to make sure you didn't mis-dial them in error), you don't have any obligation to return their call.   

Just don't do it.

HI @Guannan 

sorry, nothing you can do to avoid 😞

@Guannan 

First, NO worry.  This is Caller ID spoofing.  You didn't have anything compromised

On the other hand it is not something you can do or PM can do.  It is happening to many people, and even CRTC has nothing effective to stop this

Sorry, nothing you can do to stop it really.   I always say it is like letter mail.  People can send mail to something else but put your address as the return address.  Not something you can do to stop or not something Canada Post can do or validate

Guannan

Thank you for your reply.

Is there anything I can do to limit the exposure of my number being used in such activities? I have been very selective in giving out my number.

@Guannan wrote:

Does this mean someone has access to my text msg and contact list?

HI @Guannan 

no, they didn't get access to your phone, not your text or contact

they just Program their caller id to look like yours. 

Guannan

Does this mean someone has access to my text msg and contact list?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Guannan 

this is call Caller ID Spoofing.  They didn't really use your number, they just program thie number to yours.  They were even trying to target you.  It is just they are calling someone else in your area code with the next 3 digits same as yours. They program the number like a real phone number so people would thought it is a valid phone number and pick up

In short, you are ok.  Not something you can avoid, but you didn't lose anything

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @Guannan 

This happens often. It's called Number Spoofing. Someone is using your phone number to spoof others. If you want, you can, at no charge, go to your account and change your number to avoid this from happening with this number. No need to create a ticket as there really is nothing anyone can do.

If you wish to change your number, log into your account, go to Profile, then on the right side you'll see a block My Phone Number. Click on the pencil and the next screen it takes you to allows you to change numbers.

Need Help? Let's chat.