cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow/no data

Zero216
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just moved to PM from Fido. With Fido I was on a $35 LTE Plan with 20gb. With PM I'm on the $50 40gb USA/Can option. My data speeds/service with Fido were excellent, never an issue. I switched because of the USA roaming which is very beneficial for me.

The problem is very often I'm without working data or it goes extremely slow. I've wiped my sim clean, I've reset all network settings (android - Samsung galaxy s20 + 5g), and turned off and on my phone numerous times. I've also ensured APN is sp.mb.com. Am I missing something? I can't continue to have unreliable data so need to fix this ASAP or move back to Fido.

25 REPLIES 25

HI @Zero216 

and you have another phone to test? 

submit a ticket with agent and see if they can refresh your account and help

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

@Zero216  Maybe you should ask support to refresh your account 

private message   To CS_Agents click          

VVVVV      Link below    VVVVV

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Zero216

Didn't work. I do a speed test and at times I'm getting 55mbps but then a few seconds later it'll stop and nothing will load. It keeps bouncing between working and not working.

Zero216

My phone is fully up to date. The coverage map shows me in a 3g/4g area. 

HI @Zero216 

try this, someone said it works

instead of using Automatic for network selection, try to manual select Public Mobile and the 5G option might show

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Seems like what you are seeing differs from the options I was seeing available on the Samsung Support page. Is your phone fully up to date software wise? 

Also it might be worth comparing the PM coverage map in your area to the one that you had previously from Fido. Perhaps the Telus/Bell towers in your area might not provide as much coverage as Rogers’ based on what you are experiencing. 
https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/coverage

@Handy1 wrote:

Oops my bad sorry 

HI @Handy1  no worry, all good  🙂

Oops my bad sorry 

@Zero216 wrote:

Got it in Canada and have reset all networks.

HI@Zero216 

you want to test Reset the phone, too?

@Handy1- Did you type this reply before seeing his image? He's in the right spot.

HI @Zero216 

this is the one I am talking about

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Samsung-S20-5g/td-p/1035955/

S20, cannot access 5G.  But I think it is more a compatibility with the phone and PM

Try your PM sim in another phone and see if 5G shows up there and able to use

Zero216

Got it in Canada and have reset all networks.

HI @Zero216 

we saw posts about people don't see 5G network on S20 just yesterday

did you get the phone in Canada? or from US?

and you already tried Reset All networks?

@Zero216  that’s for data roaming . Leave that on is fine . Your looking for your regular cellular data network options 

Have you done all the updates for that phone? Just leave that setting there. That's it. You could experiment with the WCDMA only option for curiosity.

Zero216

This is what I see

Screenshot_20230822_111623_Call settings.jpg

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Zero216 
Those are the only options when you go into settings, connections, mobile networks, and network mode? 

In the network mode settings it should allow you to select 4G LTE. 

@Zero216  Not those settings . Your looking for preferred network settings for phone data 

add should see options for 3G 4G/LTE and 5G 

Is 5G an option on that list of networks? Just choose the one that starts with 4G LTE and see how well it works.

Zero216

I'm on a Samsung galaxy s20 I don't know if I can have 4g/LTE only. The options all include gsm and wcdma

HI@Zero216 

do you now if you were connected on 5G or LTE?

It could be an issue with 5G in your aread.  But try connect using LTE and run the speed test.  You can get good speed on LTE as well with your 5G plan.  

@Zero216 try the network to 4G/LTE and test see if it works better 

add when I go to my basement I can’t connect to 5G it will drop to 3G 4G/LTE 5G works best for me upstairs or outside 

Zero216

I'm on the 5g plan but I'm not getting speeds anywhere near the 4g plan even. Much of the time I can't do anything at all (no data) other times it's brutally slow (several minutes to load a web page). Other times it works fine. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Zero216 

did you try Reset All Networks?  It might help

and what network mode you are using? try Automatic, try changing to LTE

and you got the same data unstability everywhere?

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Zero216  Are you in the 4G CAN /US plan or the new 5!G CAN /US plan . The 4G one will only give speeds up to 100mbs the 5G one will give speeds up to 250mbs and even if your phone is not 5G compatible you will still enjoy 5G speeds on4G:LTE   With the 5G speed plan .

Adding when comparing Fido and PM 4 G speeds public is up to 100mbs and Fido is up to 150mbs. So right out of the gate Fido will send faster . But with 5G plan with PM up to 250mbs so it will feel much quicker 

Need Help? Let's chat.