cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skipping Payment For A Few Months

MOOLAH
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I plan to skip payment for a few months. I believe the most we are allowed to skip is 3 months? Please confirm.

How do I skip payment when I'm on auto-pay? Do I just turn off subscription in "manage subscription"... like this?

Unsubscribed.png

Should I also remove my saved credit cards just to make sure my card won't be charged because I'm on auto-pay, or is turning off the subscription sufficient to skip payment for a few months?

Thank you in advance. 

10 REPLIES 10

MOOLAH

@maximum_gato wrote:

The amount of times the bf has lost his phone really proves that lost/stolen serves that specific purpose as it completely cuts both the provider and the Sim card from the account and its services.

Yes, we can use the "lost/stolen" feature in My Account when we really lose our phone, but I doubt that your BF really loses his phone for 89 days lol

We are misusing or abusing "lost/stolen" and justifying it. PM really needs to change the label to just "suspend".

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@MOOLAH 

For example if you topped up your account with $40 for convenience but you only have the $15 plan. You renew deducting $15 from your $40 balance=$25. If you want to suspend your service disabling autopay  will only prevent renewal after you have exhausted any funds that equal or exceed your plan amount. If you don't suspend via lost/stolen the payment system will deduct another $15 on your next renewal from the $25=$10 left in your account balance. At this point if autopay is disabled then your following renewal will fail because $10 is less than your plan amount. If autopay is enabled the payment system will deduct the $10 and charge your autopay card $5. (This all not taking into account your $7 in rewards each 30 days.)

The amount of times the bf has lost his phone really proves that lost/stolen serves that specific purpose as it completely cuts both the provider and the Sim card from the account and its services.

The cat has not come back yet 🙂 - Some people deposit money into their account. Others are gifted "money" for surveys or customer participation. So you might end up with a balance on the account that is more than your plan cost. The plan will renew using that balance.
Those rewards would not cover a plan cost and they would stop paying in after a suspension for lack of payment or using the suspend feature before the last day (I totally agree with you on that wording).
I think it's called on hold now but the initial label still says lost/stolen. It also says report. Report what? Using this function does nothing to any blacklist or anything. It's just a suspend.

MOOLAH

BRAVO, @maximum_gato!  I've accepted your answer as the solution. It's so rich in experience and insight and strategy. I will never get this kind of answer from Public Mobile themselves lol!

"Unless you have an account balance that equals or exceeds your plan amount (subscription) then "unsubcribing" or disabling "autopay" will suffice to suspend your service on your renewal date. If you have a positive account balance as described above then self-suspending via lost/stolen is your only option. "

Could you please explain to me what this means? An account balance that equals or exceeds my plan? I'm currently receiving about $7 of rewards from Public Mobile. These rewards give me discount on my current plan. So, do I have a "positive account balance" if I skip payment?

I really wish they wouldn't call it "lost/stolen". It's our only option to suspend our account, but claiming that our phone was "lost/stolen" when it really wasn't is like... we are lying without a conscience lol. Maybe people can petition to have the "lost/stolen" button renamed to just "suspend".

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@dust2dust 

So far the 2FA works on the pixel 4 (only) for the 2FA code before the eversafe ID is created. After the eversafe ID is created so far it has worked on 6 different accounts I manage regardless of the brand of phone. All have been the phone # on the account (not an alternate # on the eversafe ID profile.)

RCS is using the phone # of the suspended account. This is by pure accident as I somehow have RCS enabled for some contacts and not others. Only one contact do I regularily text/chat with and as a new pm customer is still struggling to understand the glitches and to use my regular phone # for communication. ( The fact that the phone rings when he calls doesn't help matters?!!)

@maximum_gato- I have been wondering about the 2fa from here when suspended. Is that to the account phone number? Or a separate one (which I have on one account)?
And the RCS uses the phone number of the account? What about MMS?

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@MOOLAH 

Unless you have an account balance that equals or exceeds your plan amount (subscription) then "unsubcribing" or disabling "autopay" will suffice to suspend your service on your renewal date. 

If you have a positive account balance as described above then self-suspending via lost/stolen is your only option. However be forewarned that last I checked suspending this way causes callers to recieve confusing messaging or an immediate disconnect when calling your phone number depending on the source phone service provider of the caller.

Most commonly other pm customers will hear "You do not have a US Roaming add on to complete your call." I used to religiously suspend via lost/stolen but the results from my testing convinced me that using lost/stolen was too risky unless absolutely necessary. 

Currently the account I have suspended via "unsubscribing" rings thru to the phone number both in and out but disconnects when answered. Another account I manage that's currently suspended gets the US Roaming message when called and the "Your call cannot be completed as dialed" message when calling out. But when called from a voip rings thru but disconnects when answered on the pm end whereas the voip end then gets a fast busy signal. There's no rhyme or reason to it ....?

Depending on the importance of your phone number to callers that may call when suspended, your plan amount and/or the flexibility you may have to switch to the $15 plan and the amount of rewards you earn  ($$ rewards vs points) you may want to consider just downgrading your plan.

So far at least.....with my pixel 4 it's still able to send/recieve RCS messages while suspended and recieve the eversafe 2FA codes.

Unless you have easy access to vouchers keeping an active credit card on file whilst "unsubcribed" is a safer route so that reactivating before 90 days  (preferably around day 85/86) is less complicated given the high probability of an issue when reactivating that requires customer support intervention.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@MOOLAH - Nonpay/suspended within 90 days is allowed (as opposed to 3 months, that could make a difference here).

You may also choose to report your phone into Lost/Stolen status under your Profile section of your My Account. This will also prevent payments from being made from a registered card or taking from your Available Funds. 

But again, remember to come back to remove the lost/stolen status within the 90 day period and make a top up payment to get the status active again so you don't lose the number, public mobile account, and rewards or available funds, also access to My Account.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@MOOLAH 

Yes you are correct by unsubscribing to stop monthly payments.

Also note that it is not 3 months but rather 90 days just incase you missed enabling subscribed. To be on the safe side, enable subscribed payment on day 88 just incase of website shutdown due to maintenance or any unforseen issues.

Once you missed a payment over 90 days, your account will be closed completely, SIM will be useless and you will lose your number.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@MOOLAH , you are correct and account that goes into suspension for greater than 90 days will be deactivated.  The usual advice is to restore the account to active status a few days before just in case.

Need Help? Let's chat.