cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shut down Public Mobile's network

mfizz55
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Do you know whether Telus will truly shut down Public Mobile's mobile network, I was wondering?

19 REPLIES 19

emdub

How would they just “shut it down”? Merge maybe. 

golfball
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

A merger with Koodo prepaid would make sense with those factors considered.

I also remember reading somewhere back in December about store management saying PM would be shut down in the spring, time will tell. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Ya know, it is kinda interesting to suggest this.   Why would PM move all it's customers to VoLTE and why in the heck would they allow thousands of PM SIM cards to be sent out for FREE a few weeks ago?

It kind of begs the question -   STILL, i don't believe (or maybe i don't wanna believe), TELUS is gonna offload Public Mobile.

emdub

I doubt it. If anything, maybe a merger of some sort. That's like when Wind mobile got purchased by another company and rebranded. It still sucks, but it's still around. Public Mobile network (since it's Telus) is way more reliable compared to Wind, now Freedom Mobile, so I doubt the network would be just "shut down".

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@softech wrote:

PM will last 🙂

They just enabled VoLTE, and updated My Account and Community site.  Hard to believe it will be gone soon. 🙂

Hard to say, but Koodo prepaid and PM both share similar components and their websites are identical...except for the logo and colors and the plans are almost identical in many ways.  I am more inclined to believe that Telus will merge Koodo prepaid and PM at some time.  Which brand remains is but a mystery! 😀

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@mfizz55 

Essentially, mobile service provider employees and agents always try to spread casual misinformation about other companies so they can make the sale to their own brand.

It's rampant.

And the vast majority of it is just noise and deception.

@will13am wrote:

@mfizz55 wrote:

That was mentioned to me recently by a Telus employee. She advised me to search for a different Network.

When you say Telus employee, do you mean a person working at a mall kiosk?  Those people are far removed from the cubicles that make these kinds of decisions.  I submit to you that any attempts by any carrier to remove perceived competition at this time would be ill advised.  The industry minister just approved the Rogers-Shaw deal which many perceive as a reduction in competition.  The timing could not be worse for such a rationalization of carrier brands.  Quebecor is supposed to be the 4th carrier in this country.  If this does result in actual increased competition, it is incumbent on the big 3 to leverage all their brand loyalties to fight the competition.  Public Mobile is not going anywhere.  There are much bigger headwinds in the Canadian landscape to be concerned about like an upcoming recession.  

It's also difficult to tell if someone is a Telus employee.  Retail locations using the Telus name can be franchised-owned.  Even someone in a Telus uniform/shirt may not be a Telus employee.

@mfizz55 wrote:

That was mentioned to me recently by a Telus employee. She advised me to search for a different Network.

When you say Telus employee, do you mean a person working at a mall kiosk?  Those people are far removed from the cubicles that make these kinds of decisions.  I submit to you that any attempts by any carrier to remove perceived competition at this time would be ill advised.  The industry minister just approved the Rogers-Shaw deal which many perceive as a reduction in competition.  The timing could not be worse for such a rationalization of carrier brands.  Quebecor is supposed to be the 4th carrier in this country.  If this does result in actual increased competition, it is incumbent on the big 3 to leverage all their brand loyalties to fight the competition.  Public Mobile is not going anywhere.  There are much bigger headwinds in the Canadian landscape to be concerned about like an upcoming recession.  

@mfizz55 you don't have to search for a different network.  Telus would not fold PM by unplugging everyone overnight.  Worst case is everyone got moved over to Koodo.  So, enjoy the saving now and worry it when the "rumour" really comes true (unlikely any time soon)

As to many people leaving, it happens to all providers.  People jump for good deal as porting is easy.  To me, it seems many activations everyday as well , probably offsetting each other.  And with good deals, I see people who hate the network so much still staying as well 🙂

Authorized or not, how high up is this employee? We all love a good whistleblower story. If they're a rep selling phones in a kiosk they would not know anything either. Smoking gun would be good. An email from an in-the-know employee for starters.

mfizz55

@mfizz55 wrote:

The other day, I heard that Public Mobile was discontinuing operations at Telus. So when I received the news, I was a little concerned. I considered it weird that they had only recently enabled VoLTE.

Employees at Telus wouldn't be authorized to share any informaiton (or misinformation) about this.  Not statements byTelus have been made by Telus concerning this topic matter. Sometimes, these statements are made by salespeople who aren't even working for Telus (and who wouldn't even have any information about this).

Did you hear that from a company executive or higher level employee who would know? Or did you see it on FB?

mfizz55

The other day, I heard that Public Mobile was discontinuing operations at Telus. So when I received the news, I was a little concerned. I considered it weird that they had only recently enabled VoLTE.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

With the way they seem to run the place and how it seems that many people are leaving due to how they run the place, one could easily imagine they're just running it in to the ground. Then they can plead to the regulators that - see we offered a cheaper alternative but nobody wanted to stay. Oh woe is us.

Other than that, whatever you're hearing out in the world is all rumour. No one knows.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

PM will last 🙂

They just enabled VoLTE, and updated My Account and Community site.  Hard to believe it will be gone soon. 🙂

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@mfizz55 

wonder no longer. PM is here to stay.......for now !!

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@mfizz55   That rumour has been circulating around here for a long time and so far Telus has chosen not to shut down PM, so I'm inclined to think not, however, who knows what happens in the future in a couple of years?

@mfizz55 wrote:

Do you know whether Telus will truly shut down Public Mobile's mobile network, I was wondering?

Public Mobile doesnt' have a network. The brand uses the Telus network.

Need Help? Let's chat.