cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing cell number between two phones with esims?

splunker
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I presently use an esim with my PM. I am planning to get a new phone and will keep my old phone as a backup. Is it possible to order a new esim on my new phone with the same cell number and disable the esim on my back up phone until i need it in case my new phone breaks or is stolen.

7 REPLIES 7

eddieO
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@splunker no problem. You can order a physical SIM card from Public Mobile but depending on you experience with Canada Post it can take 1 week and worse case up to 3 weeks, OR you can order from Amazon.ca for $4.99 with free shipping with a Prime account (typically a few days) OR you can go to a TELUS/Koodo or Mobile Klinik store and pick one up for $10 

splunker

I already use textnow as by backup burner cell number! LoL

splunker

Sounds good. I think i may splurge for a physical sim instead for the new phone. So i can go back and forth based on my mood without having to involve a PM request everytime. I am experimenting with a new z flip 6. Will be my first modern flip phone but i may want to go back to my old s21 ultra. Thanks for the recommendations.

eddieO

@splunker for your new phone to work with the eSIM you will need to install the Public Mobile app on it, then order a new eSIM which will be free since you already had one but once you install it on the new phone the old phone's eSIM will no longer work but you can continue to keep the phone for back up purposes. If your new phone breaks you will then need to order another eSIM but this time on the old phone using the Public Mobile app again. Each time you change to a new phone it will be the same process but the service can only work on one phone at a time, whichever one has the latest eSIM

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@splunker 

The only option to have the same number on two different phone is to download the TextNow app on both phones and pick a number then login under the same account. The only drawback is you need to connect to wifi to get free calling and texting.

Rastin

No you can only have 1 esim per account at a time. But if you ever lose or break your phone you can just get a new esim and active on the old one

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@splunker 

download the free PM app to your new phone, then request a new esim and activate it with old account and number..

Need Help? Let's chat.