cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service in US

Jck1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

This may be a silly question, but I’ll put myself at the mercy of the community. I am travelling in the US dot a few weeks and will be back in a couple months. I was thinking about getting a SIM in the US and taking out my PM SIM for the duration of my trip. Then, upon returning to Canada, popping my PM SIM back in. Is this a thing? Is the only downside, aside from paying for service twice and having to remember a new number while in the US? Am I missing anything? Apologies if this has been asked and answered.

5 REPLIES 5

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Jck1 
As others have pointed out, you can suspend your account with nonpayment up to 90 days without having your account closed, SIM will be useless and you will lose your number.

By removing your SIM will not suspend your account. You will need to login to account and disable AutoPay.

The other option is switching to the $15 plan so you won’t need to worry about losing everything.

I would suggest you put the SIM in a ziplock bag and put it in a safe place so you won’t lose it.

If you are down in the USA longer than a month. Pickup a Mint Mobile, Tello Mobile or Visible mobile SIM. Just check their website for rates that will suit your needs.

Also download WhatsApp ( both parties must have app too) or TextNow app for free wifi calling and texting.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Jck1 

Here are you options for your account while away. If you are considering #6 on the list make sure you remove your Sim card after call forwarding your phone number to your voip phone # before you leave Canada. Getting service with a local Sim card from mint mobile for example will work well with this option and will cost you $15/30 days for your pm service and US $15/30 days (US$45/90 days) for mint mobile's cheapest plan or look at T-Mobile's low cost plans starting at US$10/30 days.

1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. CSA contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your voip number (textnow or fongo)  before you leave Canada.. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your voip number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your voip #'s voicemail for all voicemail messages.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 89/90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Do not leave reactivation to the last day leave yourself at least 2 days of leeway and plan to reactivate at the latest by day 87!!  Happy travels and Stay--Safe!

@Jck1 

I concur with above suggestions.

If I was going to US for longer than a few days, I'd do what you're doing and get a local sim and cheap plan.

Stop by Walmart is US as they have some low cost options for temporary usage.

Take your PM sim out (put in in a safe place )...put new sim in your phone and you're good to go.

You could also download free voip app like Textnow which uses your wifi to make free calls / texts to most any US and Cdn numbers. There's free wifi in most resorts, motels, cafes and McD's now.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Jck1 its good call to use local prepaid SIM in US. 

For PM service, you can remove Pre-authorized payments from My Account's Payment page.  PM will suspend your service at the end of this cycle.  Make not of that date , first date of suspensions n.  Come back around  85th days and resume the service for one month, assume you are still stay in US for longer.  Make sure no later than 90 days for your account will be closed and you will loss your number 

@Jck1 wrote:

This may be a silly question, but I’ll put myself at the mercy of the community. I am travelling in the US dot a few weeks and will be back in a couple months. I was thinking about getting a SIM in the US and taking out my PM SIM for the duration of my trip. Then, upon returning to Canada, popping my PM SIM back in. Is this a thing? Is the only downside, aside from paying for service twice and having to remember a new number while in the US? Am I missing anything? Apologies if this has been asked and answered.

The only thing you need to consider is if you miss a pyament on your Public Mobile account, the Public Mobile account can't be left in suspended state for 90 days or the account will get closed.  Othewrise, removiing your SIM card from your phone/not using the Public Mobile service will not affect your account.

Need Help? Let's chat.