cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Issue - Can't hear other side mid-call

new1op
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all--

In the last 4-5 weeks, I've had issues almost daily where the other side's audio cuts out mid call. This has happened regardless of whether I place the outgoing call or if it's an incoming call. The other party is always able to hear me. The audio does not come back, and I have to hang up and call back. 

I have used public mobile on my current phone (an iphone 7) for about two years, and have not had this issue before. I did move about a month ago (within a highly urban area), but unfortunately, was having some different phone/audio issues in the few weeks leading up to my move, which may have been related to my bluetooth headphones--  so I'm not 100% sure if the current issue is just because of the new location. I have tried to make calls outside of my building to test if the issue is tied to my location, and those calls have been stable. 

The LTE signal strength in my new home is -107. I've tried turning LTE off for voice/data, but it hasn't helped. (I did go from getting 1 bar of LTE signal to 4 bars of 3G signal). I've also reset my network settings on my phone several times to no avail. 

Does anyone have any suggestions/solutions? I'd prefer to stay with PM, but I use my cellphone for work calls, and need more stability!

14 REPLIES 14

@new1op 

Are you in a concrete building? There is a work around....download the fongo app and call forward your pm number to it so you then use your WiFi for calling when you are home. Your outgoing calling can be thru pm or your fongo number but at least you know your incoming callers won't have the issue of not being able to hear you. It also works on mobile data in case you leave your WiFi zone in the middle of a call. (0.5mb=1 min)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@new1op 

i suggest you to keep selecting the network to "3G ONLY"

for iPhone visit Here link 

or Here link 

do one thing Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

and do rebooting your phone take your SIM card out and waiting for a 2 minute and put it back and turn on -This one is quick and simple.

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

and check here Coverage Map Here .

or Here 

and check it out is enough Towers Map in your area...

and do you can test your SIM card in another device, to you know the issue from SIM card network, or your device settings issue, or the area issue not enough Signal...

you need to test it with another device and or test your device in different area...

@new1op   also try calls with speaker phone.. as well as with headset plugin or Bluetooth headset.    This is to confirm if it is a device issue .. 

also, you try putting your SIM in another phone and make calls and see how it goes?

On the other hand, you can also try to put other SIM on your iphone and make calls 

new1op

Thanks! I've already tried a network settings reset a few times, but will do the full iphone backup. My problem is that the other side's audio stops coming through to me during a call, but they can always hear me. I think my mics are probably fine, but appreciate the detailed explanation!

new1op

Yes, unfortunately it definitely happens when calling other PM customers...

new1op

Signal is bad anywhere in my (tiny) apartment, but it's fine on the balcony. TBH I stick to wifi at home, so not actually sure how data/cellular performs. I'll test it out-- thanks!

new1op

I'm by a window when the audio from the other side stops coming through.

I definitely have better reception from my balcony. Haven't placed any long calls there, so I'll try that to see if the audio drops continue. Thanks! 

new1op

Tried already & didn't work - thanks though!

@new1op 

Or maybe not.....

The iPhone has three microphones. On the screen side, the one at the top allows your to hear a caller, the one at the bottom allows the caller to hear you, and the one below the camera on the back of the iPhone is used for recording video. 

Before testing, check that none of the three microphones are covered or dirty, and make sure that your phone is not connected to a wired or wireless headset. 

• To test the microphone at the bottom of your phone, which is also the primary microphone, open Voice Memos and tap the record icon. Record yourself speaking into the microphone, and then play it back. If the microphone isn't working properly, you won't be able to hear your voice clearly.
  • To test the microphone at the top of your phone, open the Camera app and record a selfie video. 
  • To test the microphone on the back of the phone, record a video using the back camera. As with the voice memo, you should be able to hear your voice clearly when you play back both videos. 
  • If you discover one of the microphones isn't working you can troubleshoot it.
  • Ensure that the microphone isn't covered. Take any protective cases off of the phone. Make sure that your fingers don't block the microphone when you're on a call. Unplug accessories and disconnect any devices that are connected via Bluetooth.

• Use a compressed air can to blow air carefully into the microphone. This will remove any small debris that may be blocking the sound.
  • Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS installed on your phone. If you're having trouble updating your phone to the latest iOS, you may have to follow a few other troubleshooting steps.
  • Lastly, try resetting your network settings. Note that by doing so, you're also resetting Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN.

•  

Lastly, try resetting your network settings. Note that by doing so, you're also resetting Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and APN settings, so you'll have to re-enter any previously stored Wi-Fi passwords. 

If this doesn't work you can try simply restarting your device. And if all else fails, contact Apple Support to figure out the problem. But read this first and see if it helps....

https://www.ikream.com/iphone-7-cant-hear-callers-callers-cant-hear-microphone-stops-working-issues-...

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious 

Hmm, true!  I seem to be overlooking many things today (not just here!).  With that in mind, @new1op - how is your Data connection?  Is it always stable on the "LTE" network?  The basic test of voice calls in/around different parts of the home may help give more clues (and whether Public Mobile is ideal or not).

@BlueB 

You are forgetting the difference between PM and telus/koodo. Pm uses the 3G network for calling while telus/koodo use voLTE.

@new1op 

Your issue is related to calling but it may be on the other side of the call that is the issue. If your 3G signal is good inside and you have no issues outside I wonder if it's the weak 4G LTE signal causing your callers to lose call quality. Does the same thing happen when you talk to another pm customer?

BlueB
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@new1op 

I've heard of similar issues before and was linked to a signal issue because there are two sides to the signal, both receive + send.  The towers can have stronger signal and easier for you to receive, as opposed to your phone with a lower signal may not be able to communicate back.  If calls are stable outside your building this could be the issue.

What if you're in another part of your building indoors, in another room or near a window?  Since the weather is nice, do you have a balcony or window you can open to test?  There are signal boosters out there if this is the issue (Amazon) for <$200 that could help.

Telus owns Public Mobile and Koodo, so all 3 providers are using the exact same network.  If you're looking to switch, you'd be looking at Rogers or Bell most likely (although Telus uses some Bell towers depending on the area).

@new1op 

You could also try the SIM card in another working phone.  This helps determine whether hardware issue versus PM Service problem.  

Which city do you live in?  Winnipeg and Brandon customer have had issues with PM.

You can also check the nearest cell towers.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html

Triguy
Mayor / Maire
  • try resetting your network settings
  • 1. From the home screen navigate to Settings>General>Reset
    2. Tap Reset Network Settings
    If prompted enter your passcode
    3. Tap Reset Network Settings
    4. Restart your phone
  • turn the phone off and remove the sim, maybe it's loose. then turn on your phone and reinstall it
Need Help? Let's chat.