cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMS not working unless on WIFI

ca_iancu
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, I recently activated a SIM card. I cannot send or receive SMS messages with the default Messages app, unless I am on wifi with Chat option enabled. My phone is a Motorola G Fast. I rebooted the phone, reinstalled the app, cleared the app cache. When routed through SMS it doesn't work. Please help. 

10 REPLIES 10

ca_iancu

For the record, in case other people read this thread later: the data was turned off in order to test without Wifi and data connection. 

The issues has magically resolved itself. On Friday morning it was working fine. I even received a message sent the day before. I didn't get to reset anything other than the cache. Everything is now working, so I suspect something was weird in the back-end. No changes were made in the phone. Thank you all for pitching in and trying to help.

@ca_iancu 

As mentioned before, is your data working fine? Is data turned on? What about network reset of phone?  Try a different messenger app?  

@ca_iancu wrote:

And yes, I tested with 2 different users to rule out the other end.

@ca_iancu   what colour are the message you try to send?   Just want to confirm

Chat-SMS.png

ca_iancu

And yes, I tested with 2 different users to rule out the other end.

ca_iancu

I only noticed it not working when used outside the wifi zone. My tests when I activated the SIM were done inside the house, and wifi was present. So it's fair to say that it never worked. I tested after by turning wifi on\off and the behaviour is clearly present. With the chat funcionality turned off and no wifi the SMS doesn't work. Calls are fine so the phone is registered on the network. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@ca_iancu   did the SMS , send and recieve, NEVER work since you activated with PM? or it worked and just stop working?

try to use Google Message app and see how it goes, of course, turn off Chat feature to assure a real SMS test.  

did you try testing to different people and not just 1 or 2 selected one?

if it still fails and if it never works since activation, it think you need to contact PM for them to look on the backend.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@ca_iancu wrote:

Hello, I recently activated a SIM card. I cannot send or receive SMS messages with the default Messages app, unless I am on wifi with Chat option enabled. My phone is a Motorola G Fast. I rebooted the phone, reinstalled the app, cleared the app cache. When routed through SMS it doesn't work. Please help. 

@ca_iancu Do you have Chat Features enabled? IF so, turn them off.

1. Open Messages.
  2. Tap More options > Settings > Chat features.
  3. Turn Enable chat features off.

Also, any android users that you would be texting in/out to would be affected if they have this feature enabled but not in a wifi zone.

@ca_iancu wrote:

The original SMS protocol doesn't (and can't) use Wi-Fi.  The chat features do require a working internet connection. Is your mobile data otherwise working?  If you disable the chat feature, does your text messaging work?

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@ca_iancu 

Can you reset your network settings.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@ca_iancu 

do one thing Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

and take your SIM card out and waiting for a 2 minute and put it back and turn on -This one is quick and simple.

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

or can you do try reseat the SIM card

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. wipe it clean SIM card,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and do again Rebooting your phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

How to reset network settings on an IPhone

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords,

or visit  Here link, 

and go Changing APN Settings On An IPhone

click Here link, 

How to reset network settings on an Android device
  1. Open the Settings app on your Android.
  2. Scroll to and tap either "General management" or "System," depending on what device you have.
  3. Tap either "Reset" or "Reset options."
  4. Tap the words "Reset network settings."

or visit  Here link,

and go Changing APN Settings On Android device

click Here link,

Ensure you have the correct APN settings by visit Here link,

Select the brand and model of your phone, After doing so, you will be provided with the exact APNs required for your phone on our network.

for iphone  go to Settings > Messages > To turn iMessage on or off, 

Turn your data on to send a Picture Messaging in world-wide,

if your data is off and your home internet wifi is on is not going through the Picture or a video Messaging, 

you have to do this to is going through you will need to turn your data on to send a Picture or a video Messaging in world-wide,

make sure your Data is on.

and do again Rebooting your phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.to refreshing your network...

Need Help? Let's chat.