cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card question: Can I re-use Public Mobile Sim that was not used for 3-4months?

Appletina88
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I was with Public Mobile until early Jan 2022. (I ported the number out) I am planning to return to Public Mobile (port number back) in mid April.

My question is, can I re-use the Public Mobile SIM card that I used up to early Jan 2022? so it would had been inactive for 3.5 months. Or do I need to go get a new SIM?

Thank you in advance!

9 REPLIES 9

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Appletina88 

Re SIM's, it's all about the protections the carrier has in place. SIM's can be duplicated, copied erased, as long as you have the equipment to do it.   Depending on the carrier (and the way they have it set up) it is impossible to reactivate a SIM because the mobile company doesn't get to sell you another SIM card.

SIM's are just encoded memory chips, nothing more nothing less. 

So, in a nutshell, NO, you cannot reactivate a SIM once the cell carrier has DOA'd it in their database.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Canadian Cell Supplies has the best price by far and quickest turnaround time if you don't get a free sim for an instore activation.

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Appletina88  You may be able to use same email if you ported out from PM to another provider the account would have been closed. If system doesn't allow you to use same email than you would have to use an alternative one.

• Buy a sim card
  • Go to this link to activate the sim https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/portal/activation
  • On the link during the activation steps you'll be able to port your number over (keep old providers sim card in phone as they will send you a text to authorize the port), you will be able to add a referral code for signup bonus, add you personal info, setup a pin code etc)
  • Then you're done and just have to wait a few hours for your number to be ported over completely

DUE NOTE On January 25th 2022 Public Mobile implemented a new Points Reward system and got rid of the old rewards your were on in the past. So there will be no more discounts that you have been used to in the past like $2 off for auto-pay, loyalty,etc. You will be on the points system with your new account. You get points back for the amount you spend. You'll get 10 points per year you are with PM. 1 point equals$1 and you can cash them in once you accumulate 15 points.

You can read more about points system on link below.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/reward-rules

@Appletina88 wrote:

Thank you for your quick reply.

So if I understand correctly, even though I am porting back the same number, I can't "reactivate" my old account.

No, you cannot reuse the SIM card, it is not an reactivation of the old account

@Appletina88 wrote:

And when you say "activate a brand new account", can I still use the same email account that I had before or do I need to create a new account with different email?

Yes, PM allows to use the same email address to open this new account now.  It is new as it will have a different account number and you need a brand new SIM for this new account

Appletina88
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you for your quick reply.

So if I understand correctly, even though I am porting back the same number, I can't "reactivate" my old account.

And when you say "activate a brand new account", can I still use the same email account that I had before or do I need to create a new account with different email?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Appletina88  No, you cannot reuse the sim.  

However, when you are ready to activate again, check store activation.  Many mobile stores will give out SIM for free if you activate with them.  the only thing to consider is that if there is a promotion going on, make sure if the promotion is good for instore activation as well and you can decide should you take the free SIM or take the promotion

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Appletina88   Any activated SIMs cannot be reused.  Yes if never used before.

Edit:  If you're account has been without payment for more than 90 days from the last payment due date, then it will have been closed and your number lost so you would need to start with a new SIM and new activation.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Appletina88   old SIM used on old account cannot be re-used to activate on another account

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Appletina88 Not possible. You need to buy a new sim card and activate a brand new account. Don't forget to use a referral code for a sign-up bonus 

Need Help? Let's chat.