cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM card not working

hongduong
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My < 1 year-old Sim card is not working. I got a new one at a store but again it's damaged. Finally, I made a purchase via PM website and it's working

It cost me over $30 to get just a SIM card. Ridiculous!

16 REPLIES 16

angelaho

Im having issues as well! I cant seem to get mine to work at all. Im glad you found a solution.

@hongduong wrote:

I just tell the fact and not blaming any party. The one that I got from the vendor stays intact and the first one stopped working after 8 months.

I doubt the quality of the PM Simcard

That's understandable. You don't have confidence in the Public Mobile brand, and now that you've lost some time and twenty bucks you've also had bad experiences with the brand.

What I was trying to say is that the brand is legit - you may not have heard much about it before but it's a Telus company and it services perhaps a million Canadians who (mostly) don't have any problems with it. Because they bought their PM SIM cards directly from (and they make their payments directly to) PM instead of dealing with third-party vendors and retailers. Most of the middle men are legit, they just want some business and some customers, but there's always some who just don't know what they're doing (unprofessional) or who want scam the customers (unethical).

Your problems weren't caused by the brand, they were caused by the shop which took your money (twice!) without even bothering to help setup your phone service and confirm it's working properly before you left. Competent and respectable businesses will give refunds or exchanges, and they won't repeat a mistake (or let a customer repeat a mistake) which makes them look bad or costs money. Especially in service industries - they know people can just go online and do all this stuff for themselves, so they know they have to offer real service (something more) to add value if they want to attract and retain customers.

hongduong

@Korth I just tell the fact and not blaming any party. The one that I got from the vendor stays intact and the first one stopped working after 8 months.

I doubt the quality of the PM Simcard

@hongduong 

Don't blame Public Mobile for the defective SIMs.

Blame the vendor you bought them from. Especially since they refuse to refund or exchange the product. (This is, incidentally, disallowed by Canadian Consumer Law, but they do it because they know nobody will take them to a small claims court for ten bucks.)

If the vendor isn't ethical and you never saw the original official packaging then you might have even been scammed - the SIMs could be already-used and now deactivated - the unique SIM card numbers could've been copied for future SIM fraud.

You can buy PM SIMs directly from PM for $10, sometimes for even just $5. They're sent through Canada Post and arrive (in sealed package) within a few days. If you buy PM SIM cards from any other source then you could be paying for problems introduced by middlemen (and even by criminals).

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

This is a duplicate thread.  Can @computergeek541 , @mimmo merge the threads ?

@hongduong  they have up to 48 hours to respond. Ususally they respond within  2 to 4 hours. Stay safe. 

hongduong

hey

it did not even show the signal (have tried on 3 phones)

Nothing happened to my account and the 3rd sim is working. Even the 2nd one got from the store, they confirmed it's dead

Already submitted but no response

@hongduong contact the moderators and ask them to nicely for a credit for the defective SIM cards. They are under no obligation to give you one. But if you explain what happened that you had 2 dud Sims they may help you out. There are 2 ways to contact the Moderator Team:

• Faster response- Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to the Moderator Team. Click here to get started.
  • Slower- Alternatively, you can send a private message to the Moderators by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Once connected to Simon, you will be asked to log in again with your community user name and password.  Please do, this allows you to continue and send your message.
- Check your private message sent box (click on the envelope top right of your screen) to make sure the message was sent.

- Keep an eye on the envelope top right of your screen.  The mods answer will show up there.  When it does, you will be asked to verify your self service account, with your password and login. Doing so allows the process to continue. Stay safe. 

@hongduong 

Sim card don't often become defective.  

When your account first stop working after 8 months, it could have been another issue with your PM account (besides SIM card).  By changing the SIM cards, you could have re-activated your account.  

You likely need to submit a ticket to moderator anyways to see what exactly happened to your account.  Moderator response is a few hours usually.  

hongduong

@hongduong please answer the following questions.

1. the first one was not working after 8 months
  2. Brought it home and switched it within my self service account, then brought it back to the store but they refused it
  3. Yes

hongduong

have tried all

hongduong

it's not working in every device and when I brought it back to the store, they refused a refund

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@hongduong please answer the following questions.

1. What do you mean your first SIM wasn't working? Do you still have it?
  2. Was your second SIM activated by the store? Or did you bring it home and switch it from within your self service account. 
  3. Did you switch the 3rd SIM from within your self service account?  Thanks.

@hongduong wrote:

Got a defective SIM at Jarry store and they denied a refund

What makes you think it's defective ? What kinda phone you using ? Is phone unlocked or still locked to previous cell provider ?

It is rare that a sim is defective.  Have you tried removing and reinstalling the sim ?  If you have another phone then try swapping it.  You could try submitting a ticket to a moderator by clicking on the question mark on the bottom right corner.

hongduong

Got a defective SIM at Jarry store and they denied a refund

Need Help? Let's chat.