cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Not Supported

TofuBoy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I purchased an Apple iPhone 13 Pro from a friend. I checked the general settings on the phone and it says "carrier locked" - "SIM Locked". It was on a former Rogers network. Does that mean he needs to ask Rogers to unlock the phone before I can use it?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@TofuBoy 

That is a newer phone so it is illegal for carriers to lock phones now.

There is also no expiry date on SIM cards so it is SIM locked.

You can contact a CS_Agent to get the code to unlock the SIM but try rebooting your phone first by powering it off and power it back on.

If rebooting your phone didn’t work you can contact a CS_Agent by private messaging above or create a ticket on SIMon Chatbot bottom of page.

Re insert SIM properly and reboot phone. 

Try SIM in another phone first. 

TofuBoy

Thanks for your suggestion.  I verified it with the IMEI # check it's not blacklisted. He contacted Rogers and they said the phone is unlocked. Rogers recommended that I get a new Public Mobile SIM card. My previous card was purchased 3 years ago. Perhaps, my the older SIM card is not compatible with the newer iPhones? I will give it a try and get a new SIM. 

TofuBoy

The iPhone is not blacklisted. I verified it with the IMEI # check. He contacted Rogers and they said the phone is unlocked. Rogers recommended that I get a new Public Mobile SIM card. My previous card was purchased 3 years ago. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Something is fishy here. 

That phone you bought would have been sold “after” the CTRC mandate that all mobile phones sold in Canada must be unlocked.  Are you sure it was on Rogers and was not purchased in a country other than Canada?   Do an IMEI check here. This check will tell if unlocked and what carrier it was purchased from. 

B0D6C42A-22FC-414A-8FA2-3F4B5293B52A.jpeg

C6538F33-82CB-484A-8CA3-7831C9D77B32.jpeg

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

@TofuBoy wrote:

I purchased an Apple iPhone 13 Pro from a friend. I checked the general settings on the phone and it says "carrier locked" - "SIM Locked". It was on a former Rogers network. Does that mean he needs to ask Rogers to unlock the phone before I can use it?

Thanks.

@TofuBoy i hope you know him well and hope it's paid for on his end or they "Rogers" will render it useless until paid for .

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

iPhone 13 wasn’t around in 2017… 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Your phone is locked to previous provider.

Call previous provider and ask them for unlock code.

When did you buy your phone or hold is the phone. All phones sold in Canada should be unlocked since 12/2017

Metal1967
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thought locked phones  was a thing of the past?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@TofuBoy , looks like it.  Your friend should be able to get Rogers to unlock the phone.  

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Yes.

Need Help? Let's chat.