cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming

Ckk_2194
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi when I am in the USA can I still receive texts messages? Without an data and text add on?

and if I don’t have the add on am I able to leave airplane mode off and it will connect to a provider down there? 

4 REPLIES 4

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Ckk_2194 

my experience traveling in US was I could receive texts but couldn't respond to them unless I had the text add-on.

Having airplane mode off doesn't change anything...leave it alone actually. You need a Roaming add-on to have any service whist in US.

The PM 15 day US Roaming add-on will allow you to send texts while in US. You'll have some data, depending on which add-on you select. You'll have unlimited calling to US and Canada as long as your cell connects to T-Mobile....but ....some areas have very little or no service, depending on the particular area you're in.

If you are a recent new PM customer, you might find you're able to use volte in US, but again...watch for and connect to T-Mobile only. It's the only one that might actually work.

You might be able to get away with just getting free voip app like TextNow which uses free wifi at motel, resorts, cafes and even McD's in US...you might just have to ask for their password.

Make sure you have Roaming Data enabled in your settings.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Ckk_2194 

You can still receive text in US without any roaming add-on 

You CANNOT turn on airplane mode.  

You have to leave your mobile network on.  You might be able to levae it with Automatic and let the phone to try to connect to T-Mobile itself

If it cannot connects, you will have to change the network selection to Manual and select T-Mobile from the list

And again, while you can receive text for free, you cannot reply or send text without roaming addon

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Ckk_2194 

Nope you can’t get text with US Roaming.

I would suggest you use WhatsApp or TextNow for free calling and texting through wifi.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Yup

I would recommend always leaving roaming on with Public Mobile because it's prepaid and you never have to worry about overages because if you don't pay for the service it simply won't work. But yes, incoming texts will work in the US without a roaming add on.

Need Help? Let's chat.