cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming

sharoncorish
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My cell is roaming and I live in Canada.  Not inThe USA but I live near Lake Erie.

I cannot send texts o

13 REPLIES 13

lyardeni
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

True. And fair plan prices too!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@lyardeni 

That's the great thing about public mobile.....no surprise billing or bill shock. Everything is prepaid. If you don't buy it ahead of time it just won't work. If you get a message or warning like "Long distances charges may apply." Don't worry.....if it works its included in your plan or add on or its a lucky glitch otherwise it won't work. You will never incur charges or be billed after the fact.

lyardeni

Thanks for letting me know 🙂

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@lyardeni 

Public Mobile does not have the option to block data or roaming like other providers however since there are never overages, extra billing or fees at Public Mobile that is not an issue.

lyardeni

@sharoncorish turning off roaming can help. I can guide you where to find that, depends on what phone you have.

There might also be an option for the IT department to put a special code to prevent you from being charged for roaming due to living close to the boarder.

Thank you @NDesai . I did a little edit of my question. I don't think it's necessary to turn roaming data off. But of course in the case of the OP for this topic yes the network connection should be on manual. But roaming data on doesn't matter for this provider. It only matters when a roaming data add-on is purchased and you're connected to a US tower...intentionally. For the OP again, it doesn't matter because there's no sneaky extra charge. So just leave it on all the time.

@dust2dust @ wrote

@darlicious, @NDesai - Do all phones have just a straight roaming anything option? Or is it roaming data? My phone is just roaming data. The fact that there are no overage charges here makes it a moot point to turn it off. But if other phones have a general roaming option then ok turn it off.

iPhones for example have roaming data option that you can turn on/off. But voice and text is automatically turned on and the auto network selection is also turned on by default. The latest Android seems to have the same options. So you are right, there is no single Roaming option that can be turn on/off for data and voice/text. Some higher tier cellular providers sneak in daily roam charges automatically especially when you are flying over US and briefly connect to any network in the US. This just happened to my cousin last week. 
So its best to set the Automatic Network option to manual and always stay connected to Public Mobile unless you are opting in for roaming.  

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

@darlicious, @NDesai - Do all phones have just a straight roaming anything option? Or is it roaming data? My phone is just roaming data. The fact that there are no overage charges here makes it a moot point to turn it off. But if other phones have a general roaming option then ok turn it off.

nvm I did a little searching. I've always wondered about the advice of turning off roaming. When it is left on, it won't work in the states anyway. Nor will calls. Nor will outbound texts. So it doesn't matter. There is no default on, it's own charge, for the mere fact that you turned the phone in the states. Unlike some providers. Oh hello...well there you go thank you for the $15 or whatever per day. Wasn't that convenient of us to do that for you without you really knowing.

Not here.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@sharoncorish 

If you still have an issue sending texts after turning off roaming and manually selecting public mobile then try these and test after each....

1. Reboot phone.
  2. Toggle airplane mode on/off.
  3. Remove sim card for 10 minutes and/or place in another phone and send a text. Reinsert your sim card in your device and reboot.
  4. Clear your messaging app's cache.
  5. Change to the 3G network only.
  6. Reset your network settings but only if you can easily re-add your wifi networks and passwords.
  7. Make a $1 manual payment if you still can? 
  8. Suspend your service via lost/stolen. Log out/in. Resume your service. Log out. Reboot. ** If you are on the $$ rewards program this will cause your rewards to not apply automatically upon renewal. You will have to contact customer support after renewal to have them add them manually.

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Just to explain this a little, your phone is finding a better connection to a US network because it's on automatic. You need to turn off automatic and then scan for and select Public when it shows up. The scan could take several moments.

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@sharoncorish 

turn off roaming, 

and check out network automatic, change to manual and select Public Mobile, and rebooting device,

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @sharoncorish your network selection is now automatic, change to manual and select Public Mobile 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@sharoncorish Are you able to turn off roaming? Try searching for available networks and see if Public Mobile is one of them. If yes, connect to that instead of other networks like T-Mobile or AT&T. 

Need Help? Let's chat.