cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming in Mexico

tdotdee
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello! If I buy Roaming as an Add-on, will it work in Mexico? Or just the US? How can I get roaming (data) in Mexico? Or what do you recommend?

TIA 🙂

15 REPLIES 15

smh23
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I haven't tried it myself, but I hear Airalo is good. 

Thanks for the info on local sim @karber  .  I used Telecell before and it was good.. and important thing is it is cheaper than roaming if the option is there (on other provider)

karber

I agree 100% I did use WhatsApp and messenger when I had wifi and you can purchase a Telecell SIM card for your phone for the equivalent of 20 bucks Canadian which gives you Mexico,US Canada texting and calling for approximately a month at a time 

Hi @Mburyska let's hope they will start adding more roaming choices.  

You are there now? which local data sim you use??

Mburyska

As there a lot us of Canadians that winter in Mexico I hope this will be available soon with PM.

karber

Thank you for this! I actually thought it was going to be like this but wasn’t exactly sure of the whole change of SIM card 🤪👍

BV

One thing that will change is that you will have a Mexican phone number and if you call or text someone they will not know that it is you.  For texts, suggest putting your name somewhere in the text.  Also you will need to text with the +1 prefix to the area code if you are on cellular service when you text.

karber

thank you very much!! I truly appreciate it 

@karber 

Not a stupid question at all. As long as your PM plan is up to date and Active....you just put the PM sim in the phone and you're back in business when you get home.

karber

Hi,I have a question probably stupid, if I purchase a Mexican SIM card I just put it in my phone and everything stays the same,I can just make calls and texts and then when I get back to BC I just put my original public mobile SIM card back in? Sorry but I’m really not very up to date with all this stuff 

karber

Hi I have a question probably stupid, if I purchase a Mexican SIM card I just put it in my phone and everything stays the same,I can just make calls and texts and then when I get back to BC I just put my original public mobile SIM card back in? Sorry but I’m really not very up to date with all this stuff 

tdotdee

Thank you!

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

My personal preference is to download free voip app like TextNow. You can select a free Cdn number. You can send / receive free calls and texts using wifi. Most cafes, resorts and hotels have free wifi, you might have to ask for the password.

If you're going for a few weeks, I'd suggest you pick up a local sim card and a cheap 30 day plan...The one that I've used is Telcel Amigo Sin Limites...for about $20Cdn. I can call / text MX, US and Canada for 30 days. Plus I got about 3 Gb's of data.

They do have inexpensive pay and toss phones at most OXXO or KIOSKO stores (similar to our 7-11 stores)

ottawa
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

PM only roams in US (and arguably not that well). You could either look at a Mexican SIM, or possibly one of the US carriers with roaming in Mexico (for example, the more expensive TMobile prepaid plans include some roaming in Canada and Mexico).

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

@tdotdee hi you will need a local sim as there are no roaming addons for mexico with Public

Need Help? Let's chat.