cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming/data/calls/texting

lynn1995
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all, I am going to Las Vegas in Sept, will my phone work there? What plan should I buy in your opinion?

I was thinking about doing the roaming, talk, data, and texting as 4 different things, I want unlimited calling and texting for sure. How does it work to call home to Canada while there, do I need another package for that?

Also we will land in Canada on the 10th day so we should be good right lol

oh sorry 1 more question...do I buy the plans when I land in Vegas or can I buy it the day we leave so I can use my desktop and not phone to do it?

Thanks in advance for any info

5 REPLIES 5

lynn1995
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks so much for all the help! I haven't been to the US since going with PM so I was a little nervous since I need my phone to order a Lyft lol And we will have to call our daughter and son back home in Canada.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

US add-ons migth work or not. Do not be disappointed if they do not due to US shutting down 3G.

US ROAMING ADD-ONS

US Roaming for 10 day packages

Unlimited U.S. Talk, Text and 250MB Data Bundle = $20

Unlimited U.S. Talk and Text Bundle = $15

Unlimited U.S. Talk Only = $8

Unlimited U.S. Text Only = $8

U.S. Data Only for 10 day packages

250MB = $10

500MB = $15

1GB = $20

You don't need to purchase US roaming text add-on to receive incoming texts while in US.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/us-roaming

1. Enable roaming.
  2. Reboot your phone.
  3. Manually select at&t or T-Mobile.
  4. Ensure you have 4G LTE connectivity.

@lynn1995   One more to add

according to 

https://www.gsma.com/coverage/#466 

Vegas has T-Mobile 2G network, so, voice should work

Again, Data works on 4G/LTE, so that part is good

and thanks to @darlicious for preparing a good summary to US romaing/3G shutdown situation and a "cole notes" for US Roaming: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

HI @lynn1995   Yes, PM partners with AT&T  and T-Mobile

Data and Text, roaming should have no problem

Voice roaming is a YMMV as US is shutting down 3G network and PM voice needs 3G or 2G.  Luckily T-Mobile still has the 2G network we can use 

So, overall, it should be ok.  Just couple tips

1. Make sure you enable Roaming Data on your phone

2. Make sure you manually select the network. Try T-Mobile first.  If that does not connect, then try AT&T

3. Roaming add-on are all 10 days length, so, buy it on the day you start the trip.  You can buy it the day before or the day you leave when you are still in Canada.  But once purchase, the 10 days, 240 hours countdown starts then

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Only PM option is to get the 10 Day (240 hours) US Roaming add-on. Get it when you land in US as it only last for 240 hours.

You can call most any US or Cdn number.

Other option is to use free voip app like TextNow...but you need wifi to use it.

Need Help? Let's chat.