cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reduction/Change to Service Area?

RachelE
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just wondering if anyone has noticed a marked reduction or change to their service area?

I've had great service at my house (Eastern Ontario) but as of 10 days ago I have no access to phone service in my house at all - A huge concern as it means I don't get calls from the care home where my mother lives, and also, I can't call 911.

My brother-in-law is with Rogers. He has zero issues making/taking calls at my home, and my work phone is with Bell, it also works perfectly. (My sister is with PM parent company Telus and she can't use her phone at my house either.)

If this is a known glitch that Telus/PM is working on, that's one thing, but if they're reducing their service area I'll find another  provider. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

43 REPLIES 43

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@RachelE 

Its probably temporary and we may be getting VoLTE calling by fall......? If you give us your area we can check your local cell towers for frequencies. Your workaround at the moment would be to download a voip provider like textnow or fongo. Once you are in an area that has 3G service (voice calls work) call forward your unreachable setting to your voip phone #. Then when you are in an area of no 3G service your calls will ring thru to your voip provider app on your phone. This will work on wifi or mobile data ( 0.5mb=1min). 

RachelE

No, no changes to the house. As I mentioned, the phone works in other locations. There must have been some sort of signal change. (The loss of service predates the windstorm, so I doubt that's connected.) Sadly, it looks like a move to Rogers or Bell will be required, because it's dangerous, not just inconvenient,  not to have phone service at home.  

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@RachelE - so 10 days ago you house was got into some kind of force field...What changes have you made in your house lately, panic room, other..?  😃

It does seem localized (structure-related ?) since this is recent, and your sister with telus has the same issue. Has there been new construction or changes in your home?

Have you tried to toggling into airplane mode, then back again?

Or, maybe try to perform a Reset of your device's Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

Iphone:

To Reset Network Settings, begin by opening the Settings app. Next, tap General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. and enter your passcode.

Your iPhone will reset network settings and restart itself.

android:

Find and tap Settings > System > Advanced > Reset options > Reset network settings.

RachelE

Yes, internet, SMS are fine, but no ability to make or receive calls. I can make calls in other areas, but obviously it usewd to work in my house but now it doesn't. My house hasn't changed and other call providers work, so it's def a Telus/PM issue. I did try the 3G option but it didn't change anything....A wee bit frustrating!

@RachelE wrote:

I suppose that is possible. We didn't have any outages in my area at all, but that doesn't mean a network wasn't affected. Unfortunately there is no way to ask Public Mobile so I'll probably have to switch providers.

@RachelE   did you try changing to 3G Only option?  It might work as a workaround for now.

If you want to confirm with PM Support, you can still open ticket with them:

1. If you have access to My account: At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you don't have access to My Account or have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply you there

@RachelE wrote:

Out in the street works fine, but that's a ridiculous option when it's raining or -20. It has to work INSIDE my house, too.

That is your clue something in your house blocks signal. It is possible other companies' have stronger coverage in your area but Telus is either doing some maintenance or its equipment is failing and they are not aware of it.

Definitely it is not an option to go out of a house to make a call...

Does SMS works in/out? Internet?

RachelE

I suppose that is possible. We didn't have any outages in my area at all, but that doesn't mean a network wasn't affected. Unfortunately there is no way to ask Public Mobile so I'll probably have to switch providers.

RachelE

Out in the street works fine, but that's a ridiculous option when it's raining or -20. It has to work INSIDE my house, too.

RachelE

She pays monthly - Some massive plan 🙂. I tried the 3G option but sadly that didn't help. I have been getting texts and social media stuff, but that's probably piggybacking on my wifi. I just can't make or receive calls in my house anymore.

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

It could be equipment maintenance. Did you try using PM/Telus services outside of your place, for example 100-200m away from it? Do you or neighbours have any new gadgets which could cause interference?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@RachelE 

Is your sister on a prepaid plan with telus? If the issue was with pm only then I would say its related to equipment upgrades affecting the 3G network. But pm and telus share their network with bell so your voice services should still work. Try switching to 3G only in your phone settings and test all of your services to see if they work.

RossN
Mayor / Maire

@RachelE hi it's unfortunate that you are having issues it probably has more to do with the major storm last month they are probably fixing damage from that storm 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@RachelE I wouldn't think it is reduced service area, it is more some equipment issue with network towers in your area

Is your Mobile data working?  how about text?

try to reseat your sim (power off the phone, take sim out for a minutes, then put it back and power up)

If issue persists, try to change your preferred network to 3G ONLY or WCDMA ONLY  and see if it works

If still fail and you have another phone around, try to put your PM SIM there on the 2nd phone and it could force a sim re-provision and it might resolve your issue

Lastly, if you are going out today, check if the reception is better in another area way from where you are now

Need Help? Let's chat.