cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving texts while in airplane mode

GeorgeBest
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I recently switched to "Public" while my wife remains on Telus (at least for now). She needs access to phone and text while we're away from home but I don't so my phone has been in Airplane mode since we left Canada.

I'm wondering why I received a text today while in the airplane mode? My wife just used her phone to call me and as expected it went straight to my holiday voice mail but when she sent me a text it came through? I do have wi fi "on" of course and I am using the secure wi fi network at the house where we are staying.

17 REPLIES 17

Jonsaunders6
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So long as you have wifi texts will go through 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GeorgeBest wrote:

And so were I to be in Mexico for a month for example and needed a phone I'd just get a SIM card down here & use that?

Yes. As long as your phone is unlocked and compatible with the system of the SIM carrier.

GeorgeBest

And so were I to be in Mexico for a month for example and needed a phone I'd just get a SIM card down here & use that?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GeorgeBest wrote:

Also good to know! 
But if I were to turn off airplane mode and receive calls or texts wouldn't Public bill me for those?

No.

GeorgeBest

Got it, thanks!

GeorgeBest

Also good to know! 
But if I were to turn off airplane mode and receive calls or texts wouldn't Public bill me for those?

GeorgeBest

Ah ha! I just checked & yes I do have that function checked ... thank you; makes sense now!

i assume I can also send texts to other iPhones using WiFi also without charge; excellent! Thanks again!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GeorgeBest wrote:

So you're suggesting my iPhone 7 is the problem? Any fix solutions you might know of?
Can you also let me know if I will be charged for the incoming texts?

Not really a problem...just doing something it's able to do. It has a messaging app called iMessage. It can send and receive to/from other iphones using wifi (or cell data). It can also use the normal texting system. But for that it needs cell service.

There are no extra charges here.

GeorgeBest

So you're suggesting my iPhone 7 is the problem? Any fix solutions you might know of?
Can you also let me know if I will be charged for the incoming texts?

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@GeorgeBest   where on vacation did you go?  Public Mobile only has romang service inside the USA.  anywwhere else you will not get any service as the sim will not connect to any network.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@GeorgeBest  If you are both using iMessage that would explain it since you are on WiFi that is why you can receive her text. If you turn WiFi off and try it again you will not receive the text.

Staliger
Mayor / Maire

@GeorgeBest wrote:

I recently switched to "Public" while my wife remains on Telus (at least for now). She needs access to phone and text while we're away from home but I don't so my phone has been in Airplane mode since we left Canada.

I'm wondering why I received a text today while in the airplane mode? My wife just used her phone to call me and as expected it went straight to my holiday voice mail but when she sent me a text it came through? I do have wi fi "on" of course and I am using the secure wi fi network at the house where we are staying.

@GeorgeBest If it is Iphone, the problem maybe in iMessage app. If it is not Iphone, there probably an issue with the phone.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

Either way, it is never a concern with Public Mobile as prepaid means never having to worry about bill shock.

@popping wrote:

@GeorgeBest 

Are you using iPhone with iMessage enable to receive message over WIFi?

That's what I was thinking

Also I was wandering if anything can be given permission to keep the radio on in the background

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

What kind of messaging app are you using? 

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@GeorgeBest 

Are you using iPhone with iMessage enable to receive message over WIFi?

@GeorgeBest wrote:

This is a device software issue. This is on your phone manufacturer. It should not be possible to receive any text messages while in airplane mode.

Need Help? Let's chat.