cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving spam phone calls from different numbers each time

xbournex
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello, 

I'm recieving automated fraud/phisihing phone calls, all from 236 area codes. They are the ones who tell me I have a court order/CRA/etc.

Jan 07/2020

2:17pm - 2364808069

2:27pm - 2365345950

2:37pm - 2368637694

2:50pm - 2369059124

3:10pm - 2364418120

3:23pm - 2361894202

I'm already on the Do not Call list. 

I just decline the call, but they keep calling. If I let it go to voicemail, they don't leave one and continue to call back. What do do now?

9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@cgougeon : That's kind of a mis-direction by the moderator. It's not about how the call looks to you. It's that you're getting all these junk calls. Spoofed or not.

On a previous number I had, I got lots of junk calls. I would diligently block them. Eventually they died down. Then I moved and picked up a never used number. Nothing. I even cleared out the blocked list.

Using a voip app is a workaround but then you need the internet. Unless you're using one of them with a cell service as well. But then you'd be paying for a service you're not using. Or go find a data-only plan somewhere.

cgougeon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have had the same problem, but no one ever answers, they just hang up after a delay. I'm on the Do Not Call list, but the calls got worse as soon as I added myself to that list.

Here is what my Moderator told me about the problem: 

The situation you are faced with is called "Spoofing", fraudsters spoof someone's number and call people.  

Your caller identification (Caller ID) display normally indicates the phone number and name associated with the line used to call you. Unfortunately, fraudulent telemarketers may change the information that appears on the Caller ID display (a practice known as Caller ID spoofing) to misrepresent themselves and to trick someone into answering the call.

Since you have received calls with a spoofed caller ID, or calls that you feel are fraudulent, you can report them to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre by calling 1-888-495-8501 or by visiting the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre website.

Unfortunately for the moment, we do not have a way to block these calls.

I understand that changing your phone number would not be something you would like to do since you had it for a long time. A possible solution that came to mind could be to try the "Do not disturb" function for a few days. The feature is available on iPhones and Android phones as well. It will send all incoming calls to voicemail, and perhaps after a few days of the calls not being answered the fraudulent calls will be discouraged. 

--------------

If I do decide to change my phone number, I probably will terminate with Public Mobile completely 😞 I don't have this problem with free apps like TextNow or WhatsApp, so I will use an app instead, and I'll notify Telus that their lack of progress with Universal Network Call Blocking (UNCB) is why they are losing me as a customer.

XionBunny
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I use trucaller / youmail to block spam calls my self.

@ChuckYeah wrote:

Ha Ha, oops! Thx @dabr 

@ChuckYeah   New year, new name, yeah!

Ha Ha, oops! Thx @dabr 

@ChuckYeah wrote:

@dabrIs this a new phone number, or have you had it for many years? You could option to change your number. You may have some of the same issues with another number and maybe more. Note: You can only change your number once every 30 days.

@ChuckYeah   I think you meant to respond to @xbournex  post?

@dabrIs this a new phone number, or have you had it for many years? You could option to change your number. You may have some of the same issues with another number and maybe more. Note: You can only change your number once every 30 days.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@xbournex wrote:

Hello, 

I'm recieving automated fraud/phisihing phone calls, all from 236 area codes. They are the ones who tell me I have a court order/CRA/etc.

Jan 07/2020

2:17pm - 2364808069

2:27pm - 2365345950

2:37pm - 2368637694

2:50pm - 2369059124

3:10pm - 2364418120

3:23pm - 2361894202

I'm already on the Do not Call list. 

I just decline the call, but they keep calling. If I let it go to voicemail, they don't leave one and continue to call back. What do do now?

@xbournex   Unfortunately, spam and nuisance calls seem to be getting worse these days, we all seem to receive numerous calls from unknown numbers.   If your phone settings allow, you can block these numbers, however, that doesn't stop them as they use different numbers to keep calling so you have to keep blocking.  Otherwise ignore any call that you don't recognize.

Need Help? Let's chat.