cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving abundant calls from a call center that is bouncing calls around the world.

Hmieb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Recently I've been getting numerous calls from a call center that is bouncing calls from all around the world. When the line picks up, it sounds like it's a call center from India, from the way the voices and music sounds in the background. After about 5 seconds they hang up.  These calls are being bounced all around the world and show up on my call display.  When I call the numbers back they usually say that the number is not in service.  If I get a live person on the other end, I'm telling them about what is going on and suggesting that they contact their service provider, that maybe there is something that can be done about this.

Is there any way to stop the prank calling I'm getting?

Thanks in advance for your advice. 🙂

9 REPLIES 9

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Hmieb 

You can change your phone number up to 4 times per 30 days. You can change it to an Alberta phone number and make a manual top up payment saving up to 10% in provincial sales tax and then change your phone # to one from your preferred location.

Hmieb

I didn't realize I could do this myself, thank-you, I will definitely do this. 🙂

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Hmieb wrote:

Should I ask to have my phone number changed?

You can do this yourself through the self serve portal.  Log into your account, go to the profile tab, change phone number, select your city and choose one of the available numbers.

Hmieb

Yes, very much so it is a bit frustrating when they call every two minutes for a half hour at 2 am. lol.

If I turn off my phone, I can't receive any calls in case a family emergency happens and I need to be contacted.

Should I ask to have my phone number changed?

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Hmieb - this is very frustrating I imagine. If you do not recognize any numbers and suspect this is one of these calls, I'd suggest not to pick it up. It may go to voicemail, but just delete them if this is one of those calls.

Your number is with them somehow, but usually these calls eventually stop. But then just move onto the next person 😕 .

Nothing can be done on Public Mobile's side of this to prevent these. If coming from same numbers it is easy to list these numbers as blocked on your device...a little trickier if coming from a lot of different ones.

Hmieb

I wish I could do that, but I need to be able to receive calls from business numbers that are also unlisted or are also unknown callers for call display that are legitimate calls.

pmbc

@Hmieb wrote:

Yes, I have hundreds of phone numbers that they have called from now blocked. But they keep bouncing the call using new phone numbers all within the span of a minute.

That is indeed challenging.  Are you able to config your phone to only allow calls that are in your contacts?  It's not the perfect solution, but maybe do this temporarily to get some relief from these SPAM calls.

Hmieb

Yes, I have hundreds of phone numbers that they have called from now blocked. But they keep bouncing the call using new phone numbers all within the span of a minute.

pmbc

@Hmieb Have you attempted to just block the number on your phone?  I'm sure Android and iOS have that function.

Need Help? Let's chat.