cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: so my phone broke, I wanted to put my service in a different phone but I need a new sim card

thestephensx5
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My sons phone broke. We didn’t autopay so account is suspended but still able to be reactivated. We have a replacement phone for him.  Struggling to find out what we can do but I saw this link for replacement sim but it doesn’t work for me. Anyone able to advise?  Unsure if we need a new sim or can use what we have and reactivate account. 

8 REPLIES 8

@thestephensx5   Due to sim swap fraud the ability to change your sim has been temporarily disabled.  You would need to submit a ticket to have a moderator add the new sim to your existing phone number.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/SIM-Swap-Fraud/td-p/650969

Camera4617
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@thestephensx5 wrote:

ok so turns out old SIM card cannot be retrieved from old phone it broke when phone was smashed. So heading to kiosk to get new SIM card.  At time we just removed the payment option as I couldn’t find option to suspend service.  So I do know I need to put payment on balance first then reactivate.  Note I’ve checked I have until June before the 90 days are up. Can we get the info transferred to new SIM card once we buy?   Is that what I do when I put in a ticket to swap SIM card?  Or how can I do it so we don’t have to change number a 3rd time. Thanks!

@thestephensx5 

- Yes, SIM swap will take care of keeping your existing phone number and keep all info the same as when you had old SIM. Nothing will change except now your new phone with new sim will work as old. When you create a ticket, make sure you have new SIM ready and contact them. Then they'll reach out back to you asking for more info to verify your account (that's new thing to prevent SIM hijacking). 

thestephensx5

ok so turns out old SIM card cannot be retrieved from old phone it broke when phone was smashed. So heading to kiosk to get new SIM card.  At time we just removed the payment option as I couldn’t find option to suspend service.  So I do know I need to put payment on balance first then reactivate.  Note I’ve checked I have until June before the 90 days are up. Can we get the info transferred to new SIM card once we buy?   Is that what I do when I put in a ticket to swap SIM card?  Or how can I do it so we don’t have to change number a 3rd time. Thanks!

@thestephensx5 

If the service was suspended only due to lost/stolen being implemented, you simply have to only put the old (if usable) SIM in the new compatible device, then remove lost/stolen status.

If the service was suspended due to not renewing on renewal, then you'll have to arrange payment for the full amount of the plan amount, then reactivate service.

It is recommended to reboot device after either of the above options are completed.

@thestephensx5 wrote:

Phew thanks!  We had just replaced the sim bcs he had lost the phone for awhile and it became too long before we reactivated it.  So I really didn’t want to purchase another new one. 

should I reactivate his account before moving the sim over?  Does it matter?  Thanks for your help. 

@thestephensx5 ,

Ensure the SIM fits, then reactivate, I would say.

NOTE: after 90 days in suspend, your account will be deactivated permanently (then you will need a new SIM to activate a NEW number) so be sure to reactivate before the 90 days is up.

But if this was less than 90 days, you are all good.

thestephensx5

Oops ignore that I saw your other info below the sim image.  Sorry I missed that first time! Thanks!

thestephensx5

Phew thanks!  We had just replaced the sim bcs he had lost the phone for awhile and it became too long before we reactivated it.  So I really didn’t want to purchase another new one. 

should I reactivate his account before moving the sim over?  Does it matter?  Thanks for your help. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@thestephensx5 wrote:

My sons phone broke. We didn’t autopay so account is suspended but still able to be reactivated. We have a replacement phone for him.  Struggling to find out what we can do but I saw this link for replacement sim but it doesn’t work for me. Anyone able to advise?  Unsure if we need a new sim or can use what we have and reactivate account. 

Hi @thestephensx5 ,

You only need to remove the SIM card from the broken phone and insert it into another phone, if the SIM slot is the same size.

The phone number follows your SIM card. So yes, you can use what you have, as long as you have another compatible PM phone.

If the SIM slot is larger you can obtain a spacer (for free probably) at a cell shop to put around it.

If the SIM slot is smaller, gently snap out the outer parts to fit.

esjliv_0-1603577624495.png

You may already know this part...once you put the SIM in another phone.

1. Add Funds to your Plan Amount (through SELF SERVE or by calling 611 if you have a card registered)
  2. Method through Self-Serve account: Go to “Plan and Add-Ons” > Lost/Stolen Phone
  3. Select Resume/Reactivate Service
  4. Reboot
Need Help? Let's chat.