cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: iPhone Update and APN settings

smilley0688
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am new to Public Mobile.  I tried to set up my iPhone 6, but my setting options are not the same as you have shown in the screen shot.  I see Mobile Data > Mobile Data Options > Mobile Data Network.  Is that what I want??

Also, I can send text messages, and I can send photos by iMessage, but I can no longer send photos by regular text/picture message.  Is that a setting that I must change as well?

Thanks for your help!!

17 REPLIES 17

@bowsandbrowns wrote:

I need to update my data settings on a iphone 4 anyone out there able to walk me through this, also were do I find my APN 

thanks morgan

@bowsandbrowns 

Have a look at @CalgaryBen 's excellent information here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323131#M2456

bowsandbrowns

telus

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Was this old carrier Freedom Mobile?

bowsandbrowns

Tried your suggestion but cant seem to get the old  carrier out of there

@bowsandbrowns @That’s what I found...

If you go into Settings -> General, and then you don't see a Profiles option, then you don't have any Profiles installed, which can define things like APN, VPN, etc.  If you do have one, then deleting it will ensure it isn't over-riding the required settings for data to work.

Furthermore, to troubleshoot your aunt's iPhone, I would check Settings-> General -> About, and see what is under "Carrier".  As of this writing it should be Public Mobile 32.0.  If not, then this is probably the problem.  You can update it by ensuring the iPhone is connected to and authenticated on a WiFi network, and then going into Settings -> General -Software Update to download the carrier settings.

bowsandbrowns

I need to update my data settings on a iphone 4 anyone out there able to walk me through this, also were do I find my APN 

thanks morgan

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
I always recommend updating to the latest software, at least for all the security patches. Glad everything worked out.

Great, thanks.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

smilley0688

@Luddite

I checked the settings that you and @TheOldVR mentioned to me, I updated to the latest software version, and then I turned it off and back on.

After doing that, I got a message saying something about Carrier Updates are available, so I had them installed as well.

I can now send MMS and iMessage picture messages, and use data.

Thanks!!

@smilley0688 wrote:

@Luddite

Thanks for your help!  Its all working now. Smiley Happy

How did you cure the problem? I'm sure others would like to know.

@smilley0688 Read your post again. Cellular data must be turned on and set up correctly for MMS to function. If you have data as part of your plan test its functionality with wifi turned off.

smilley0688

@Luddite

Thanks for your help!  Its all working now. Smiley Happy

smilley0688

Hey @TheOldVR

Thanks for your suggestions.  I did the update and the messaging seems to be fine now.  Smiley Happy

OK Suggest, you reboot your phone with the SIM installed and report if any services are not working, and any message on your phone other than just Public Mobile with some signal strength bars.

Normally all the necessary settings install automatically.

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey @smilley0688...

Suggest you update to 10.3.

Once you have updated.....

Go to:

• Cellular
  • Cellular Data Options
  • Cellular Data Network
  • Enter your APN info

Hope this helps...

(Have the same phone btw...)

smilley0688

@Luddite

Thank you for your reply.

I have software 10.2.1.

As for the settings that you mentioned in Message Settings, I have those all toggle switch on, and my correct phone number in the send and receive areas.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@smilley0688 I have iPhone 5 and do not see those Mobile Data settings; try rebooting your phone. What version of iOS have you installed?

Messaging settings: Settings >> Messages >> iMessage toggle on, Send as SMS toggle on, MMS toggle on, Send & Receive should show your Publc Moble number

Need Help? Let's chat.