cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: US Roaming Data not working with $34 Can/US plan

EddyB
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you to all of you!  I was wondering why my pixel 7 wasn't seeing the US providers.  I guess PM's agreement with them was to provide only 4G to us.

5 REPLIES 5

EddyB

So, in summary for anyone else having problems accessing the US networks (with Can/US plans), it appears that the settings you have on your respective phones is key to getting proper access.  I believe I came into this blind thinking it would just automatically switch over and let me on their networks.  Thank you again to all for steering me in the right direction.  Thank you DennyCrane, Thank you softech!

EddyB

Thank you DennyCrane, I was over last week in Michigan.  That was the first time I had tried the new Can/US plan.  Will update after I go over to try it out again.  See my reply to softech.

EddyB

Thank you softech, I believe I see my problem now.  I will be back over to the US in a week or two and will try it then.  Last week I was there, and it was the first time with the new Can/US plan.  So I wasn't aware of what settings I needed on my phone.  Sitting at home on the Canadian side, I turned off the auto-network setting, then a list of available networks came up.  I saw Verizon from the US, but T-Mobile and AT&T may not reach over the border.  I'll hook on to Verizon and play around to see what I can use.  But when I cross over to the US in a week or so, I'll look for T-Mobile/AT&T.  Then we'll determine what all I have access to.  Thank you everyone for the help!  

@EddyB 

Supposingly both 4G and 5G works, but we suggest to connect to 4G networks for more stable connection.  So, you were able to connect on 4G or not at all?  Also, if you phone network mode set to Automatic, it should downgrade to 4G if there is no 5G network available in your area

Some general note with roaming:

Critical part to US roaming depends on T-Mobile/AT&T coverage and whether you can connect successfully onto either network.

If the phone is not connecting to T-Mobile/AT&T, change the Network Connection from Automatic to Manual and select and test both T-Mobile and AT&T and see which one you can connect.

If your issue is with data, make sure your Roaming Mobile data is enabled and you have disabled your mobile data limiter.  Also change your network mode to 4G (and don't try 5G until you can connect and works on 4G)

If your issue is with voice, make sure VoLTE is enabled on the device setting.  And if it does not work, try to change the Network to T-Mobile ONLY, and change  Preferred Network Type or Network Mode to 2G and see if the calls go through.
Also, you can download VoIP app TextNow as a workaround to make calls and text if you have Wifi or if your roaming has data component and data  is working

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

When were you there? I was there a week ago and had 5G AT&T working this time, on a Pixel 6a. Your device is certainly capable, it's just a matter of whether they've configured the back end properly.

Need Help? Let's chat.