cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCS working for anyone?

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

PM launched RCS a while ago and I was enjoying while it lasted. For some reason it is not working as intended so I had to disable it completely. It still works fine as long as I have WiFi or Data enabled. If I don't have WiFi or Data enabled, it supposed to automatically send the text as SMS, but that is not happening on my Pixel 3. It should also automatically switch to SMS if the recipient doesn't have WiFi or Data at the time, but that is not working either. It just stopped working all of the sudden. I have tested RCS on Koodo plan on a Samsung phone (S9), and it is working fine. I am not sure of PM involvement in this since this feature is partially controlled by Google and Jibe Mobile service. PM/Koodo/Telus says that we need their plan to get it working, but I am not entirely sure.

So I would like to collect some feedback to find out if RCS is working for you. Those of you with a compatible device, can you please test this? It should work on Pixel phones with Google Messages app and some Samsung phones as well. Once you enable RCS feature and confirm working/connected, try to send a text to someone without WiFi or Data. See if the RCS text automatically gets sent as SMS after a few mins.  

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

@gpixel wrote:

@NDesai what is the most appealing option for you when using rcs?

Nothing so appealing, I am just trying to figure out if PM has any issues in the backend that might be causing this. If RCS is working fine for others on PM, it might just be the Google Messages app at fault.

@NDesai what is the most appealing option for you when using rcs?

@gpixel Still doesn't work. When I send a text without WiFi or data, it just sits there "Waiting to connect, tap for options". If i tap on it, then it will let me send as SMS. May be it's the Google Messages app not sending it automatically when RCS is disconnected due to no WiFi/Data. I don't see any option to enable automatic SMS if no connection is available like on Samsung phones. 

@NDesai 

1. Open Messages app
  2. Go to Play Store, search for "carrier services"
  3. Click on "Carrier Services" by Google LLC, which should be at the top of the results and show as installed
  4. Click on "Uninstall" and you'll be prompted as "Do you want to uninstall all updates to this Android system app?"
  5. Click "OK"
  6. Go back to the Messages app
  7. Go to Messages settings within the three dots "..." menu
  8. Go to the "Advanced" tab and click on "Enable Chat Features"
  9. You should see a small circle, followed by a bigger circle with a checkmark in the middle -- success!
  10. Go back to the "Carrier Services" app in the Play Store and click on "Update" to re-install any updates
  11. or test without the carrier settings being updated to the latest version

@Spudster wrote:

@NDesai 

Do you have this section set to "Resend undelivered chats" as texts or MMS messages?

No such option in the Google Messages app settings. 

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@NDesai 

Do you have this section set to "Resend undelivered chats" as texts or MMS messages?

Screenshot_20210327-160106_Messages.jpg

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@NDesai wrote:

PM launched RCS a while ago and I was enjoying while it lasted. For some reason it is not working as intended so I had to disable it completely. It still works fine as long as I have WiFi or Data enabled. If I don't have WiFi or Data enabled, it supposed to automatically send the text as SMS, but that is not happening on my Pixel 3. It should also automatically switch to SMS if the recipient doesn't have WiFi or Data at the time, but that is not working either. It just stopped working all of the sudden. I have tested RCS on Koodo plan on a Samsung phone (S9), and it is working fine. I am not sure of PM involvement in this since this feature is partially controlled by Google and Jibe Mobile service. PM/Koodo/Telus says that we need their plan to get it working, but I am not entirely sure.

So I would like to collect some feedback to find out if RCS is working for you. Those of you with a compatible device, can you please test this? It should work on Pixel phones with Google Messages app and some Samsung phones as well. Once you enable RCS feature and confirm working/connected, try to send a text to someone without WiFi or Data. See if the RCS text automatically gets sent as SMS after a few mins.  

Thanks

@NDesai ,

Last summer my and a family member had Chat Features enabled on our phones to communicate back and forth. One phone an LGQ6 and the other phone a Samsung A50. 

• LGQ6 plan included data, so it seemed to work okay back and forth to the Samsung A50 in WIFI zones.
  • Samsung A50 DOES NOT include data in plan, it seemed to work okay back and forth in WIFI zones.
    • BUT, NOT OUTSIDE OF WIFI ZONES.

After some testing back and forth we both disabled it. I do not recommend the Chat Features because of the experience we had.

Now, I don't know what changes in the past 7-8 months have been made, so maybe there has been updates.

@gpixel wrote:

@NDesai 

I'm still able to send as sms when rcs is enabled

what troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

try the usual network reset/clear cache carrier settings app. maybe mods can reset the sms network on their end

Does it automatically switch to SMS or you manually tap to send as SMS?

Cleared cache for the Messages app and other google services apps. Not sure if mods can do that, but worth a shot once I know it is working perfectly for others. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@NDesai 

I'm still able to send as sms when rcs is enabled

what troubleshooting steps have you taken so far?

try the usual network reset/clear cache carrier settings app. maybe mods can reset the sms network on their end

Need Help? Let's chat.