cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Ontario-Quebec cell service

TheKaburagi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I'm in the Ottawa region, and some of my past carriers have had a lot of trouble getting cell service when i'd go to the Gatineau suburbs and park areas, with my friend's videotron services faring much better for google maps, calling, and etc. Just wondering if anyone had any anecdotes on how public mobile fares with what i assume would be videotron cell towers. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

Your service will depend on Telus coverage. Coverage map has been provided on Telus /PM site.
Some areas might be in Dead zone even though map shows there Is coverage. Even one side of the street might have perfect coverage while other side none.

TheKaburagi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks, i actually never thought about using VoLTE, that sounds like a neat tool. i guess i never had enough data to consider it. I have an Iphone 13 pro so i think it would support it. The service is there on the PM coverage map, but what i've found in the past is that there are dead spots in park areas and roads, highways where videotron cell service users can cover fine. some of my friends with rogers back in the day had the same issues. Just a thought, next time i head out in that area i could see for myself if public mobile is better at using their towers.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@TheKaburagi PM uses Telus network and Telus shares network towers with Bell

So, check any of your friend using Telus/Koodo/Bell/Virgin/Lucky and see if they have the same issue in Gatineau area.  But we have many Quebec members and I do not see much complaints about network issue there

And what phone do you have?

if you have an newer phone, a VoLTE compatible phone, maybe you can use VoLTE for voice and could have better connection

Also, with 5G now available, even you have a 3G or LTE plan, you can use the 5G networks (except with capped speed) and that could change your experience.  

Need Help? Let's chat.