cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q On Experiences with PM Roaming + eSIM Data From Another Service

dochok
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi all,

For recent US travels, I have been using the PM add-ons. I find that I tend to use the data more than talking/texting. I have an iPhone with eSIM capabilities and my question to the community is whether anyone has successfully installed an eSIM with data (i.e. with Nomad) and also concurrently purchased a PM add-on for roaming for talking? If yes, did it work well and what were any issues.

Thanks and cheers!

16 REPLIES 16

VK
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@dochok Recently, i have ported t-mobile # to Tello on their prepaid monthly plan which includes international talk & texting (with wifi calling & VoLTE enabled so it works in outside of US also) & their data (works only in US). Check their website, you might find it as better option than t-mobile.

VK

@dochok Try connecting to US vpn and see. It did work for me while being in Canada last month.

dochok

@VK I'm going to try T-Mobile. My understanding is that activation can only happen while you're in the US and not in Canada? Thanks again for responding to this topic.

Thanks @VK  for confirming.  I think I will  try that next time I go to US  🙂

VK

@bluejaywpg , I'm having an iPhone so it worked very well during US travel. Not sure about andriod phones.

VK

@hTideGnow , I too have heard but this option with e-SIM worked very well during my US travel.

@VK wrote:

@dochok 

Download T-Mobile's prepaid-eSIM app and you will get options starting from 10USD with 1GB data and valid for 30 days. Hope this helps.

HI@VK   But many people said T-Mobile coverage is very poor , even with LTE coverage.  I wonder if other carriers will be better

bluejaywpg
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

After further review, the T-Mobile eSim app is ONLY available for iPhones.

To T-Mobile - BOOOOOOOOOOO!!! 😡

dochok

It worked for me. I used VPN and a US server and disallowed access to location. I think it won’t work if it detects you’re not in the US. 

CA2046F4-6AA2-4674-8B7E-5AE64C1B7BA6.jpeg

bluejaywpg

@VK I downloaded the T-Mobile app just to look for curiosity & to see what I need to do if or when I go south of the border. I cannot see any other app available to download from T-Mobile other than the T-Mobile app. I cannot find prepaid plans using this app. What do I have to do to get to where the screenshot you posted is?

VK

@dochok 

Download T-Mobile's prepaid-eSIM app and you will get options starting from 10USD with 1GB data and valid for 30 days. Hope this helps.

IMG_3105.PNG

Alexandf

@dochok 

don't buy it add-ons US not working, buy sim from US

@dochok wrote:

@computergeek541 @will13am thank you so much for your replies. Yes, the idea to have PM active is so that I can receive calls and text. I found the roaming data add-on in the US very unsatisfactory, potentially due to 2g/3g issue. But, by in large, it was very unreliable cutting out in large cities.

I sense it is an implementation thing on this side of the border.  All traffic routes back to the home network and then back to the roaming network.  The metering is done by Public Mobile.  Somewhere along the route, there are problems.  This summer is the first time that I have seen so much discussion about iffy roaming in the US.  I sense the 3G shutdown is just a coincidence and not a cause.  

dochok

@computergeek541 @will13am thank you so much for your replies. Yes, the idea to have PM active is so that I can receive calls and text. I found the roaming data add-on in the US very unsatisfactory, potentially due to 2g/3g issue. But, by in large, it was very unreliable cutting out in large cities.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@dochok , I think the advantage of keeping the Public Mobile SIM active is to be able to receive calls when roaming.  Otherwise, it likely to be cheaper to shop local for a service.  As far as running two services concurrently is concerned, one does not affect the other.  

@dochok wrote:

Hi all,

For recent US travels, I have been using the PM add-ons. I find that I tend to use the data more than talking/texting. I have an iPhone with eSIM capabilities and my question to the community is whether anyone has successfully installed an eSIM with data (i.e. with Nomad) and also concurrently purchased a PM add-on for roaming for talking? If yes, did it work well and what were any issues.

Thanks and cheers!

Using an e-sim from another carrier wouldn't have any effect on the Public Mobile services other than the fact that different devices behave diffferently when it comes to which SIM card is actively being used at any given moment.  I wouldn't recommend Public Mobile for vocie service while roaming.  You'll be limited to the 2g network on T-Mobile for that.

Need Help? Let's chat.