cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile in Europe

kenchili
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am travelling to Europe in May.  Does Public Mobile work there?  What is option? 

20 REPLIES 20

public_mobile_1

Hello @chad2001, I am thinking of doing a similar approach (Fongo/Airalo e-SIM) with forward my PM number to Fongo...I wondered if you had a chance to try this out and if it was successful? Cheers!

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@kenchili 

That's why you get a local SIM card. Then you have access to your voip app 24/7. Or alternatively a global SIM card. But if your number is that important for business that any interruptions for service for even a couple of hours then it shouldn't be on pm at all then as it does not have the reliability of first tier service.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

kenchili

I need to keep my number for business purposes. Wifi is not always available where I am going.  

Perhaps an interested party would love the opportunity to take over an account on the rewards system.

For 3 weeks though you could just let it sit unused and then possibly pay again to renew. But then you wouldn't have your number.

So how about this, like the voip idea, get that other service, keep everything at Public, forward the number to the other service, go roaming, come home and let the other service expire and deactivate.

Again though if you wish to get texts then you would need to do the at-home and app idea to forward texts that come to your number.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@kenchili 

Do you not plan on using a local SIM card? $14/day×21 days=$294 capped at what should be $180 on top of your plan cost+SIM card and porting to a new provider and the loss of rewards. That's a lot to pay for the inconvenience of call forwarding your pm number and $20 for a local SIM card and plan. To each their own I suppose.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

kenchili

Sounds more hassle then worth.  I will cancel public mobile, change number over to virgin for a month and possibly purchase their roaming plan and when come home, port it back to public mobile.  Need to have phone and not rely on wifi. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@kenchili 

You need to call forward your pm phone # to a voip provider whilst still in Canada. Then you will will receive your incoming calling to your voip app on your phone while using a local sim card in Europe. Text forwarding requires the use of a third party app such as Mighty Text and leaving your SIM card in a phone connected to a charger in Canada.

kenchili

thanks for all that info.  good stuff.  

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

No you can't. But you can to a voip service with a Canadian number. Then you just need the internet somehow to use it. Don't let the Public service connect to a US tower though.

kenchili

I guess I need to weigh the importance of having good communication when I am away to the importance of rewards. I understand from others, you cannot call forward from pm number to european sim card.  

If you port out your number and you started here before late January then you would lose the rewards system. If you come back and sign up a new account then you would be on the new points system.

kenchili

good info.  Heading to croatia for 3 weeks.  Been there before and had a package for roaming with Bell and it was fine.  Hate to change providers for a month but maybe best option and then back to public mobile when I get back.  

@chad2001   I would disable to PM sim from settings first:

Go to setting:

Settings -> Cellular ->

In the "CELLUAR PLANS" section you will see both sim cards (plans), with "On" or "Off" by each. Click into the plan you want to turn off. You'll see "Turn Off This Line" and you can switch it off here.

chad2001

When I activated the call forwarding I did get a confirmation message saying SMS will also be forwarded, that’s why I wanted to ask.  My case is on so tight that it’s hard to get it off to remove the PM sim.  Lol.  And no I’m flying straight to Germany from Calgary.  In a dual sim phone, I have the option of turning one off in Settings, I think.  

@chad2001 

Forwarding of SMS isn't something that can be done.  I understand that there could be a third party app that could perform this task, but such an app would require the phone to first receive the message.

@chad2001   instead of Fongo, why not try TextNow.  TextNow has better voice quality and text is FREE.  Free to receive and Free to send to Canadian and US numbers

For sms forwarding, yes, it won't work.  People have workaround using app, but the PM sim has to be in a phone in Canada and turn on (basically plug in to the power).  Saver if you have someone to babysits  your phone  🙂

To take out the PM sim or not.  will you be routing via US? If PM sim is active while you are in US, it will try to connect to a US network (even you don't have roaming) and it will disable ALL your forwarding rule.  Not sure if it will try to talk to European network and would do the same.  For safety, I would suggest to take the PM SIM out.

A reminder, if you think you might need to connect to your bank network or email and 2FA text might come in, it won't work obviously, make sure you change 2FA to other type, like Authenticator app

chad2001

I’m going to test out Fongo (Canadian voip) and an Airalo e-sim.  My plan is to forward my PM calls and hopefully SMS to Fongo.

In order for Fongo to work, it needs a data plan, that’s where Airalo e-sim comes in.  It’s reasonably price, you can buy data only package for Europe or a specific country.  Btw Use WELCOME30 for 30% off or if you’re trying out a <10$ e-sim, use my referral code CHRIST0222 for $3 off.

Questions regarding call forwarding:

Once I activate call forwarding (*21*fongo_number#), can I just leave the PM sim in the phone while in Europe, or do I need to leave it at home (in network) and plugged in?

Some mentioned sms forwarding doesn’t work, is that the case even if I bought the Fongo Canadian text add on?  I’m on iPhone 13 Pro and wife on 8 Plus (e-sim is not possible on this phone so plan to buy a local nano sim).

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@kenchili 

Depending on how long you are traveling for will determine whether or not to suspend your service while away or schedule a change plan on next renewal to the $15 plan. Local SIM cards are cheap with plenty of data and almost all will come with free roaming in Europe. Depending on your entry country will determine the price with the UK being one of the cheapest with prices under $10 for up to 4gb. This is the one country you will need to check for European roaming but most SIM cards do come with it. You can check out prices below....

https://www.traveltomtom.net/travel-tips/europe-sim-card

https://toomanyadapters.com/buying-sim-card-united-kingdom/

https://toomanyadapters.com/buying-local-sim-cards/

As long as the plan has not been grandfathered then scheduling a change plan on next renewal to the $15 plan for 30 days of reactivation while you are away can keep the cost of maintaining the account as low as $45/350 days minus any rewards.

Just to sum up all of the suggestions and clarify a couple of points on the options for your pm account :

1. You can turn off autopay and allow the account to suspend at the of your current 30 day cycle but this is your least advantageous option. Pay and reactivate by day 85 or so.
  2. If you have an account balance that exceeds your plan amount then you need to suspend via the lost/stolen feature in your account before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal. Then on day 85 or so resume your service to pay and reactivate.
  3. Suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern will keep your voicemail active allowing you retrieve voicemail and any verification sent by phone calls. However your rewards will not be applied to your account. Moderator/CSA contact after paying and reactivating is necessary to have the rewards applied manually.
  4. Voicemail can be accessed by calling your pm number from a different phone by calling your phone # and pressing * once connected and entering your 4 digit voicemail pin #.
  5. If you don't have an account balance or enough balance to cover your plan amount you can suspend via lost/stolen after midnight but before 2 am eastern on the day of your renewal. Once your rewards have been applied (usually by 12:15 am et) then suspend your account. Voicemail access will be lost.
  6. Switching to the $15 plan with rewards helping to cover a partial or full amount of your plan allows you to call forward your pm number to your voip # like textnow/ fongo number before you leave Canada.. Now any incoming calling to your pm number will ring thru to your voip number while on wifi or mobile data (w/a local or global sim card) You can access your fongo voicemail for all voicemail messages.

Most important mark on your calendar day 85 of your suspension and day 90. Do not forget when you must unsuspend your account via lost/stolen and/or pay and reactivate your service so you don't lose your phone number and account. Happy travels and Stay--Safe!

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @kenchili  Sorry, No roaming service in Europe.    Get local data sim.  It is much cheaper to use data and calls there.  Enjoy the cheap data there and enjoy your trip

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Public does not work there. You could get a local sim and service. You could use voip apps when on the internet somehow.

Need Help? Let's chat.