cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile has launched Name Display

shawnie_boy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Just wanted to inform everyone that PM now officially supports name display like Koodo and Telus. I am seeing the name of the caller on my phone now.
43 REPLIES 43

raphster
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It's called a feature.  😀

@Luddite wrote:

Maybe it's bug! What's a good bug called? Robot LOL

@LEGO wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

Luddite, what's a good bug called????

A quirk, perhaps?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

LEGO
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Luddite wrote:

Luddite, what's a good bug called????

Michael77

@computergeek541 wrote:

@kav2001c wrote:

I have yet to see any name display on my accounts?

Is Public name display landline only?

(Why no cell names?)

I tested this with someone whom I know by temporarily changing my contact lists, and I am receiving name display information when Rogers customers call.

Yes, Rogers has name display.  

@kav2001c wrote:

(Why no cell names?)

I tested this with someone whom I know by temporarily changing my contact lists, and I am receiving name display information when Rogers customers call.

(Why no cell names?)

perksplay
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just received a call from my chiropractor and only the number showed up. No name. Had both when I was with telus. Haven’t changed any setting on my phone. Unless something wasn’t set up correct on my activation 

@jpar wrote:

Name display appears for me now as the call comes in, but afterwards the name isn't shown in the call log, jsut the number.

I just tested this by removing my home and other contact from contact list. Both names appeared when i called and also stayed on my call log. I am on Android 7.1.2 rom. 

jpar

@computergeek541 wrote:

@jpar wrote:

Name display appears for me now as the call comes in, but afterwards the name isn't shown in the call log, jsut the number.

That's the way the phone's software is programmed and doesn't relate to the Public Mobile service.  Likely, the phone's software is set to save the phone numbers only in your call log. Any name that is shown is dependent on your contact list.

I'm just using stock Android and the stock dialer; 7.0

@jpar wrote:

That's the way the phone's software is programmed and doesn't relate to the Public Mobile service.  Likely, the phone's software is set to save the phone numbers only in your call log. Any name that is shown is dependent on your contact list.

jpar

@Michael77 wrote:

@zhadj030,

Are any of them in your phone contacts? If so, you would have to remove the contact phone number for the name display to show.

@Michael77 I did remove the work phone number before hand and this the first time I receive a call from Putolator 1800 number.

Survalex
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
That's great news, would be nice to know what other upgrades are coming up in the future. Thanks PM

Michael77

@zhadj030,

Are any of them in your phone contacts? If so, you would have to remove the contact phone number for the name display to show.

Doesn't seem to be active with everyone so far. I called my self from a work phone , then received a call from Purolator and none of them showed up :(.
I will wait more

Michael77

It worked. I just did a test and I have name display too.

Acekiller

I noticed it yesterday.  It's about time!

skmkenn

If and or when we have access to VoLTE I will be happier than... well you can probably put the rest together. Smiley LOL I've had a chance to use it and the sound quality difference is pretty impressive, even more so than HD voice. 

Regarding the outgoing call display from our phones CNAM needs to be enabled in that direction from the TELUS network (and likely enabled for Public Mobile customers specifically). With the rollout of this on an incoming basis they may choose to do this in the future, or leave it as is since a lot of folks don't necessarily want their name attached when they make an outgoing phone. If CNAM data was enabled on an outgoing basis from TELUS/Koodo/Public Mobile lines I think it would be a good idea to add an option in Self-Serve to turn it on or off as per customer preference.

shawnie_boy

@denkom wrote:

I can confirm that I've had the feature since August 18th. Next up: Visual VM *crossing fingers*

I'm sure VOLTE will come before Visual Voicemail. 

denkom

I can confirm that I've had the feature since August 18th. Next up: Visual VM *crossing fingers*

PhoneSeeker

@shawnie_boy wrote:
Just wanted to inform everyone that PM now officially supports name display like Koodo and Telus. I am seeing the name of the caller on my phone now.

This is excellent news Smiley Very Happy! I wasn't expecting a budget carrier like PM to get name display. I found it frustrating when people would call me without leaving a message and assuming that I would have NameDisplay (like on Rogers/Fido/Telus/Koodo) and could figure out who's calling.

CenturyBreak

@shawnie_boy wrote:

@CenturyBreak wrote:

@shawnie_boy,

I think you read it backwards: my tests were from my land line calling my PM line.

The land line correctly sends caller name (CNAM) as part of the caller ID, as evidenced by other carriers' phones displaying it... but not my Public Mobile line.

Have you tried any other service to use to call your PM number? So far everything I have tried worked but it is possible Telus doesn't work with everything. 

I haven't. I'm at home today, while my friends are working... so I don't want to bother them with (what they'll see as) a frivolous request: "Call my cell so I can see if the caller ID is working!!!" LOL. Smiley LOL

shawnie_boy

@CenturyBreak wrote:

@shawnie_boy,

I think you read it backwards: my tests were from my land line calling my PM line.

The land line correctly sends caller name (CNAM) as part of the caller ID, as evidenced by other carriers' phones displaying it... but not my Public Mobile line.

Have you tried any other service to use to call your PM number? So far everything I have tried worked but it is possible Telus doesn't work with everything. 

CenturyBreak

@shawnie_boy,

shawnie_boy

Don't expect sending of our name to other people. Do you even want that? I don't believe Telus does that at this time. 

CenturyBreak

@shawnie_boy

That's why I tested it with my home phone: CNAM is sent as part of the caller ID and received correctly by others who have name display as part of their plan... i.e. Bell landline subscribers, Start and Cogeco Home Phone subscribers, etc.

However, not by PM... not yet, anyway.

Ah well, I guess I can't complain too much... we're getting "Less for less", after all! Man Wink

shawnie_boy

It only works if the person calling sends their name. ie. they are a business, home phone thorugh specific provider, or rogers/fido customer. 

You can easily test with fongo since you can make you name whatever you want with the fongo app. 

Michael77

It is not working for me. 

CenturyBreak

Does this have to be activated somehow for an account?

I just called my PM line from my land line and the caller ID only showed 011905xxxxxxx.

And here I thought there was a useful new tool that would come in very handy! Man Sad

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

It is working for me.  I have my work number in the address book simply referred to as work.  When I called myself from the office phone, I get the company name displayed instead of work.

Need Help? Let's chat.