cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public Mobile failing to deliver terms of offer to switch to Koodo

mgphd
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was sent an offer to "transfer" my account to Koodo under the same plan I had with Public Mobile, and they promised to pay one month of my new service with Koodo. As it turns out, I went ahead and transferred my number (and I was assuming, my account) to Koodo. The Koodo side of the story worked. However, the amount I had already paid for my Public month wasn't prorated into the Koodo service (as one would expect from a "transfer" as opposed to me independently canceling the account), whereas Koodo did prorate me in the opposite direction, having to pay for the partial month with them. What's worse, there is no follow up at all on the promise to pay one month of my new service. Tried to contact Public but not surprisingly it was useless to send an email request (the 48 hours response is clearly a lie), and they wiped my account after the "transfer" so I don't have access to the phone service I used to have.

This pretty much looks like a double billing strategy by the parent company Tellus, considering they own the two companies and how egregiously hard it is to get a hold of Public people. I kept asking the Tellus guy what was the incentive behind this, and here's probably the answer...

I'm very frustrated with how Public has handled things. I'll be filing complaints elsewhere unless I get this resolved soon.

26 REPLIES 26

Saray_O
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hi @JulieH

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. If you send me your phone number via private message I will gladly assist you!

*Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

@JulieH wrote:

For not having the same problem, I cancelled the transfer to Koodo, just on time I thought. They said that my publicmobile number will be automatically activated once again.

Unfortunatley, that isn't how number porting works.  If the number transfer to Koodo had been stopped in time, your Public Mobile service would have never stopped working.  Since it stopped working, that means your phone number already transfered over to Koodo.  By telling to Koodo to cancel the transfer, I highly suspect all that did was cancel your service and put your phone number into unassisgned status.  And since your phone number appears to have already transfered to Koodo, there is no automated process that would have made your Public Mobile service start working again.  You would have had to port your phone number from Koodo (when the nubmer was still active) back into a new Public Mobile account, or,  you would need the help of Public and/or Koodo customer service/technical support to use work-arounds to manually put things the way they were before.  Koodo and Public being both owned by Telus just might make the process at little easier for that to get accomplished.

JulieH
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

For not having the same problem, I cancelled the transfer to Koodo, just on time I thought. They said that my publicmobile number will be automatically activated once again. That did not work. And as my number is cancelled, I cannot contact Public mobile anymore. Koodo told me that they will just reactivate it, but there is no possibility to join them. I would like to keep my number and do the transfer to Koodo at the end of my plan. Thank you for helping me!

@makkahn28 what is the "Death of Scones"?

Cat Indifferent

@makkahn28 wrote:

I am aware of how the game is played, & quite frankly, I am sick and tired to the Death of Scones of Postpaid Carriers

mgphd

@Shazia_K Thanks for the quick response and further reassurance, I appreciate it.

And fair enough if the prorated aspect was a loss out of naivete on my part.

Cheers!

mgphd

@Luddite Thank you for posting the info and helping me clarify! I'll make sure to verify this works out as intended.

mgphd

@TheOldVR

Thanks. To be fair I never had issues with PM before this. I was frustrated by the lack of follow through information, the fact that my account got wiped and not "transferred", and how hard it had been to get a response until posting here. But if the credits do appear, then I guess it was all done withing the terms.

I hope PM doesn't do that.

If PPL are happy with what they have, why Chuck it?

Just my take.

Also, as I try to have the best technical mind, I do try to keep up with many things, as also my Parent's A/C's, to ensure smooth running

All I care about knowing is if Pm can get rid of these old "expensive" legacy accounts, will that result in cheaper, bettter rate plans for the rest of us?

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Luddite wrote:

@makkahn28 is their call centre! He's much better than *611. Robot LOL

Well, if @makkahn28 actually handles account issues for his parents, then there's even less reason to stick with the legacy plan.

@makkahn28 is their call centre! He's much better than *611. Robot LOL

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@makkahn28 wrote:

@Luddite wrote:

@makkahn28 Isn't Public Mobile's current 90 day offer for Canada/US calling, global texting, and 6 GB data for $150 is better than the legacy $60 + $3 plan? 

Yes, BUT for my Parents and Uncle, they're happy, and the fact that the Cost is always consistent, Better than Shockfulness

So your parents' current plan is $60 for Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 2GB Data?

PM's current plan for the same is only $46 after $2 autopay and $2 loyalty rewards.  Even if PM were crazy enough to do a $3 increase every year (unlikely), it would take at least 6 times this "shock" for the current plan to exceed the cost of your parents' legacy plan.  Meanwhile, your parents would be missing out on the (currently) $17 per month savings until that happens.  Additionally, every year they stay with PM on their in-market plan is another $1 off per month for loyalty, up to another $3, so that would offset at least one or more of those potential increases.  If I were an insurance company betting on which plan would end up saving more over the next fifteen to twenty years, I'd be taking PM's current plan, hands down.  And since it would be a switch from PM to PM, no change in quality whatsoever, except the loss of call center access.

@Luddite wrote:

@makkahn28 Isn't Public Mobile's current 90 day offer for Canada/US calling, global texting, and 6 GB data for $150 is better than the legacy $60 + $3 plan? 

Yes, BUT for my Parents and Uncle, they're happy, and the fact that the Cost is always consistent, Better than Shockfulness

Having 3 Legacy plans, $19, $25 and $60, My Uncle has the $19, My Dad the $25 and my Mama using my Old $60, I have the 90 Day, I can't complain, as I have the best of both worlds, and a Price that I feel GRRREEEEEAAAAAAATTTTTTT

@CaNuCk07 wrote:

Thanks for the clarification @Luddite.

Reading between the lines means PM can no longer make any changes, it would have to be Koodo now?  Correct?

Correct. 

That's why I primarily prefer to remain with PM

I am aware of how the game is played, & quite frankly, I am sick and tired to the Death of Scones of Postpaid Carriers

Besides, the $3 Increase won't hurt too much, AS LONG as PM doesn't make a habit of raising it every yr

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hello @mgphd

I'm truly sorry to hear about this, I myself know how important it is to have everything in order financially.

Let me reassure you right away that as @Luddite mentioned, the credit for the free month will be applied in the third month of service. 

Lastly, you had until April 1st to move over to Koodo and you must keep in mind that since we offer a prepaid service only, once you port out your number to another service provider, the account is automatically deactivated. 

I am sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you. 

Thank you, 

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

Thanks for the clarification @Luddite.

Reading between the lines means PM can no longer make any changes, it would have to be Koodo now?  Correct?

In the "fine" print it's the third month with Koodo that is free. Keep an eye on it as you MUST now deal with Koodo on all your account issues. I think you will find all the gory details on the offer/transition here: https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/serviceupdate.

Anyone making the transition should pay attention to Koodo's pricing. Maintaining the legacy price will not be permanent. I think it's best to think in terms of 1 year; i.e. is it worth the effort to switch for the savings to be had over 12 months.

Finally, for now anyway, this IS NOT a Public Mobile offer. It is an offer FROM Koodo to a selection of Public Mobile customers. Public Mobile's offer to those same customers is "pay us $3/30 more for your current plan".

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Just bringing a MOD in on the loop.... cause @Shazia_K can fix anything. (no pressure there...)

I thought I read in another thread that credits would appear three months after the transfer.... but don't quote me cause I am probably wrong.

Regarding the billing practices of our Telcos.... well yeah, it's pretty scary what they are allowed to get a way with Man Sad. PM however seems to be pretty good on this item - can't speak for the mothership.

np! goodluck, let us knwo how it turns out!

mgphd

Thanks for sending the link!

Cheers

@mgphd  Not to worry, everyone needs to vent sometimes, the mods are great on here and they cna help you out for sure.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Contacting-our-Community-Moderators/ta-...

These are some guidelines for contacting the moderators, it should help!

mgphd

Thanks for your reply and tips. Maybe you are right and I'm overly frustrated and jaded with telecommunications providers in Canada. That said, it would not be the first time that "glitches" like these work out to overbill people in one way or another, and somehow there is a heavy assymetry on who the glitches benefit,  whether it is Bell, Rogers, Tellus, or their acquired companies. So yes, I accept your point that it probably wasn't a blatant attempt to take those additional bucks away in this instance, but the default protocols are probably set to work against the customer in the hard-to-track cases, unless one goes out of their way to fight these things. 

CaNuCk07
Mayor / Maire

@mgphd  I understand your frustration with what would be an annoying glitch, however I'm usre Telus was not offerring this offer in order to shaft clients out of a few bucks.  Just doesn't make good business sense to do that for such a small piece of their overall business.

With that said, if you are having issues reaching PM via contact us form, send a private messaged to opne of the moderators and im sure they will get your problem fixed up.

Need Help? Let's chat.