cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If Huawei Honor 8X can be used for Public Mobile?

shaynecai
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

New comer. i wonder If Huawei Honor 8X can be used for Public Mobile? Specs as following in Pics. Thanks.

Honor 8X specs.JPG

11 REPLIES 11

lat34hat34
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

If you're buying it within Canada, I would say yes but if it's coming from somewhere else (for example, if I bought a phone that's specifically sold in India but using it in Canada), it may be a problem. Think of the way DVD players work here: Our DVD players work with Region 1 and 0 DVDs. However, if you were to put a DVD from the UK in your player, it would not work due to the fact that it's a part of Region 2. This is due to rights issues, pricing differences with films, and so on. The same goes for phones, in a sense. Different places use different specs for what we have. I hope that made sense.

shaynecai

@jimzhengli wrote:

Yes. That is what I am using with PM. No issues so far. 

Are you sure you re using the Honor 8x? It was the latest model, just released on September. Thanks.

jimzhengli
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes. That is what I am using with PM. No issues so far. 

Zhuoyu
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

It works as if it is not locked to some other carrier and it is not blacklisted.

@shaynecai wrote:

I did not find any UMTS band in this phone. So it can't be be used for voice?

It's listed on that site as 3g bands.  Either way:  In my opinion, it's a bad idea to get this phone unless there is a North American version that has different bands available.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

I see 850 Mhz on 3G but not 1900 Mhz.  On 3G, it will perform like a chair with a couple of legs missing.  On LTE, band 5 is the only compatible band.  It is not that popular.  As a suggestion when checking a phone for compatibility, look for band 4 LTE.  This band is used in North America and parts of South America and nowhere in Asia or Europe.  If this band is available on the phone, it is North America compatible.  There will be other North America compatible bands on the phone. 

shaynecai

I did not find any UMTS band in this phone. So it can't be be used for voice?

jp2
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Don't the Huawei phones spy on the users or something Smiley Happy

@NDesai wrote:

It's missing Band 7, so you will likely have limited compatibility. 

I find that Band 7 LTE is pretty useless where I am when indoors.  My phone will pretty much only connect to if I'm outdoors.

@shaynecai LTE isn't a requiement to use Public Mobile, although without it, you won't get the fastest possible data speeds.

For voice service at Public Mobile, a phone must have either UMTS Bands 2 or 5.  I wouldn't get a phone missing either one. 

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

It's missing Band 7, so you will likely have limited compatibility. 

@shaynecai wrote:

New comer. i wonder If Huawei Honor 8X can be used for Public Mobile? Specs as following in Pics. Thanks.

Honor 8X specs.JPG

Based on that, it'll work, but I wouldn't get it unless there is another different version of it catered towards the North American Market.  If the above specs are accurate and complete, this phone lacks Band 2 on 3g, which is very important for use with Public Mobile.

Need Help? Let's chat.