cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with voice and text messages

Bvereshagen
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

All of my incoming calls have suddenly started going directly to my voicemail although my phone is not showing that I have waiting voicemails. I am still able to make outgoing calls. In addition to this, I am unable to receive incoming texts although texts that I send seem to go through. Is anyone else experiencing a similar problem?

13 REPLIES 13

@Bvereshagen  interesting find.. I understand how Samsung Messenger might affect incoming text.. but affect incoming call as well.. really didn't expect. especially there is another Phone app for dialer.

But good find.. your deserve to assign yourself the solution and a big bravo to yourself 

@Bvereshagen 

Nice find. I 'm sure an Oracle will come along and assign a self solution with an explanation. As its as a little weird choosing your own solution. Good detective work that's how you help others when you don't know the answer. Research.... either use the the search bar or Google it.

BTW... to tag another member just tap the "@" key and type until you see the name pop up to tap.

Bvereshagen

I have fixed the problem. My phone is a Galaxy S6 with Android 7. The phone had the original Samsung messenger app installed. When I replaced the original app with the new Google Messenger app suddenly my incoming calls started working again as well as my incoming text messages. I searched around on the web and found this problem mentioned in a few places. So if this happens to anyone else the fix is to replace the original messaging app with the new Google app from the Play Store.

Bvereshagen

I have solved the problem. My phone is a Galaxy S6 with Android 7. The phone had the original Samsung messenger app installed. When I replaced the original app with the new Google Messenger app suddenly my incoming calls started working again as well as my incoming text messages. I searched around on the web and found this problem mentioned in a few places. So if this happens to anyone else the fix is to replace the original messaging app with the new Google app from the Play Store.

Bvereshagen

Okay oh, I have solved the problem. My phone is a Galaxy S6 with Android 7. The phone had the original Samsung messenger app installed. When I replaced the original app with the new Google Messenger app suddenly my incoming calls started working again as well as my incoming text messages. I searched around on the web and found this problem mentioned in a few places. So if this happens to anyone else the fix is to replace the original messaging app with the new Google app from the Play Store.

Bvereshagen

Okay oh, I have solved the problem. My phone is a Galaxy S6 with Android 7. The phone had the original Samsung messenger app installed. When I replaced the original app with the new Google Messenger app suddenly my incoming calls started working again as well as my incoming text messages. I searched around on the web and found this problem mentioned in a few places. So if this happens to anyone else the fix is to replace the original messaging app with the new Google app from the Play Store.

Bvereshagen

Okay oh, I have solved the problem. My phone is a Galaxy S6 with Android 7. The phone had the original Samsung messenger app installed. When I replaced the original app with the new Google Messenger app suddenly my incoming calls started working again as well as my incoming text messages. I searched around on the web and found this problem mentioned in a few places. So if this happens to anyone else the fix is to replace the original messaging app with the new Google app from the Play Store. I have a feeling other people will be encountering this issue.

[Thanks for letting us know ....... Luddite]

Personal experience.. outgoing calls and texts were good.. wasn't aware of the incoming issues until my relatives called home and told me they have been calling me for 2 days and my phone didn't ring but just VM.  As i said, I tried reboot multiple times didn't work... once I reseat, it worked.    

@softech wrote:

@Bvereshagen try reseat your SIM. 

Happened to me before and a regular reboot didn't solve it until I reseat the SIM (power down, take SIM out for a minute,  then put it back and power up)

It is possible that an incorrectly inserted SIM card could cause problems. However, I do not believe that's what happening here beause of the fact that ougoing calls and text messages are working. I would consider it unlikely that hte SIM card comes loose only when incoming phone calls and text messages are about to be received.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Bvereshagen try reseat your SIM. 

Happened to me before and a regular reboot didn't solve it until I reseat the SIM (power down, take SIM out for a minute,  then put it back and power up)

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Bvereshagen wrote:

All of my incoming calls have suddenly started going directly to my voicemail although my phone is not showing that I have waiting voicemails. I am still able to make outgoing calls. In addition to this, I am unable to receive incoming texts although texts that I send seem to go through. Is anyone else experiencing a similar problem?

Hello @Bvereshagen 

Have you recently changed/upgraded your phone? Or is this the same phone you have been using all along?

If a Reboot and a Reset of your device's Network Settings does not help, can you try the SIM card into another compatible phone to see if the same thing happens?

Also, check that your DND (Do Not Disturb) has not been accidentally enabled.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Bvereshagen 

Try these troubleshooting techniques but you can also try afterwards forcing your phone into using 3G but this would really only fix the problem if it only affected calling.....

There are two possible explanations to the trouble you are experiencing either ( but much less likely) your SIM card needs reprovisioning or is failing because it's an older SIM. Or you have a poor connection to the network. Troubleshooting both of these issues is very similar but with a couple of different steps. Usually the first two or three steps will clear up either issue but keep these in mind when you experience similar problems in the future.( Test after each tip.)

1. Reboot your phone. ( You should do this once a week anyways.)
  2. Toggle airplane mode on/off.
  3. Remove SIM card and set aside. Check for any dirt or debris in the SIM slot. Check the SIM card for dirt or damage and gently clean with a little alcohol and a cotton swab. After 10 minutes reseat the SIM card making sure the SIM fits snugly in the SIM slot. Use a paper shim or a little tape to secure it in slot/tray. Reinsert in the phone and reboot.
  4. Perform a network reset.
  5. Clear the cache of the troublesome apps. Perform device maintenance.*
  6. Add a payment of at least $1 to your account balance.**
  7. Log in to your self serve account. Go to the plans or usage page. Click on lost/stolen. Suspend your service. Log out/in. Resume your service. Log out and Reboot.***
  8. Contact customer support via Simple--Simon or private message.

*Will not help reprovision.

**Will not help a poor connection.

***Caution : Using lost/stolen w/active service even briefly will cause rewards to not apply upon renewal. You must contact the CSA's after renewal and ask for them to be applied manually. Also will not help a poor connection.

Need Help? Let's chat.