cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem porting number from postpaid Koodo to PM

frank44
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

(all times Pacific PST)

About 1045pm Jan31 I completed the PM account setup and porting from a regular postpaid Koodo account, however now 19 hours later (5pm Feb 1) my iPhone 8 doesn't yet work on PM, when I try to make a call I just hear 3 short beeps.  However it still works on Koodo if I go back to the Koodo SIM.

Here is what I did:

- on Koodo a tab for the iPhone 8 was paid off early over a month ago, and just in case I paid latest Koodo bill in advance

- set up PM account for a new number, as instructions indicated this should be done if user is coming from Koodo. Correct PM fee was taken from my bank VISA debit account

- I shut off the iPhone and swapped in the PM SIM, it was a new one I bought 4 years ago and unused until now

- I powered on the phone and received a SMS confirming the PIN for my PM account

- then I did the PM procedure to transfer my old Koodo number to my PM account. I did this on my computer and it seemed to work, there was a popup box on the computer within a miinute, indicating number transfer was done OK.

- I was then unable to send or receive calls or text messages and the PM cell signal level looked low and fluctuating. It's unlikely but possible there was a PM or Telus cell tower problem as a wind and rain storm happened and there were power outages in the area (but not at my place)

- Feb 1 9am there was 1 text message received from PM saying acccount setup had happened and listing $2 prepay discount etc.  However the phone remained essentially not working on PM, although signal looks OK at 2 - 4 bars.

- many iPhone reboots were done but PM still not working.

- Feb 1 1 pm I swapped back to the Koodo SIM and phone works OK on Koodo

- I checked on computer my PM account data and it indicates my correct requested old phone number is the setting.

- Feb 1 5 pm I swapped back to PM SIM and phone still not working.

What to do now?  Maybe it was a bad idea for me to do the Koodo to PM switchover late at night since there might be human actions required somewhere at Koodo or PM (and they had gone home)?

10 REPLIES 10

@frank44  thanks for accepting my answer as the solution . Glad that we could help you . Have a great week . 

The price matching sounded like me and Rogers over matching a  Fido internet offer. Lol. My internet is now with Fido.

frank44

Phone number port has now completed, it took more than 2 days (roughly 52 hours). Not really a problem for me as I'm not currently too dependent on a cellphone, but the delay could be an issue for others.

I wanted to get the Lunar New Year deal before it ended so I started the account setup and porting late night Friday which might have delayed things due to reduced tech employees at PM and maybe Telus.  Probably it would be better to start an account setup/port on a weekday morning.

Re the Koodo tab.  I got the iPhone 8 for 0$ on a Koodo medium tab ($15/month for 24 months) a little over 5 months ago, this was about 10 days before the end-August date they changed their rules about the phone subsidy.  Also there was a $200 bonus from BestBuy, reducing my phone cost to as little as $15x24 - 200 = $160.  I paid off the remaining tab balance early December.  In my Koodo contract there is a $485 activation bonus listed however the contract only says the remaining tab balance must be paid off if cancelling, so I think they will not charge me anything for the phone at this point.  That was the procedure at Koodo until end-August.  I have read stories of some people abusing this loop-hole and buying several (10+) phones on low tab offers and immediately cancelling and then paying off the tab and then reselling the phone for a large profit.  For unknown reasons Koodo allowed this to happen for at least 2 years.  I don't have my final Koodo bill yet, will update this thread later.

BTW I would have stayed at Koodo if they would try to price-match Public Mobile or at least offer some kind of low price plan, but they never gave me a callback when I requested this several times in the days before I did the switch.

@frank44 wrote:

- I powered on the phone and received a SMS confirming the PIN for my PM account

- then I did the PM procedure to transfer my old Koodo number to my PM account. I did this on my computer and it seemed to work, there was a popup box on the computer within a miinute, indicating number transfer was done OK.

This is something that I've long believed that Public Mobile should change. That message that you saw on your computer screen does not mean that the transfer was done, nor does it give any indication of the success of such a phone number transfer.  The messages about it being a success is only of a phone number change and that the phone number has been assigend to your Public Mobile account. It does not mean that the number has been transferred.

I recall another thread recently where someone had a stuck port from Koodo and moderators had to push it through. Likely the case for you to. 

However two things out of curiosity...

Regarding your tab balance that you paid. Did you get your phone on the tab after August 25th 2019? ( I think that was the date) when Koodo changed the tab policy balance where you must keep tab for 24 months. If you cancel before then your required to pay off rest of tab balance PLUS the phone credits you got. Just speculation but maybe if you started tab after that policy change they're holding your number till the phone credits are paid.

Second question (likely will not work since you said phone still works on Koodo) but did you try PM sim in phone and plugging it into iTunes to see if any updates are pushed to phone?

In any event I am sure moderators will get back to you in a timely manner and resolve your issue.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi @frank44 

You said you paid off the tab early.

When were you supposed to be free from it?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@frank44 wrote:

Many thanks gblackma and Dunkman I will try contacting moderator.  Yes, my account profile indicates my desired old Koodo phone #.

***UPDATE*** moderator ticket 122???-?65 issued (in case moderator wants to look at details i wrote in first post).  I am PM account user dog????@??????.com

You can reply to your moderator support ticket private message about this thread and ask the moderator to read this thread for additional info about your issue.

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Port is not complete and it may take several hours or a day to do so. Continue to use Koodo sim until it stops working at which point the port is complete. Insert PM sim to continue service.

frank44

Many thanks gblackma and Dunkman I will try contacting moderator.  Yes, my account profile indicates my desired old Koodo phone #.

***UPDATE*** moderator ticket 122???-?65 issued (in case moderator wants to look at details i wrote in first post).  I am PM account user dog????@??????.com

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@frank44 

Lots of good details about your situation.  

You will likely need to contact moderator to help.  Likely account provision issue.  Koodo and Public mobile use the same Telus towers.

Click on the question mark on the right lower corner of website to start ticketing process to contact moderator.  Type: Contact moderator. Follow the prompts to submit ticket.  

Your probably will receive a response sometime tomorrow.  

For now, continue to use your Koodo SIM card.  

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@frank44  your port may be stuck. Is nothing working on the phone with the PM SIM?  The number you ported is shows as your new PM number in your my account right?

Contact a moderator and explain your problem . Click on the green questionmark in the white circle at the bottom right of your screen.  This connects to the autobot Simon. Type moderator and follow the prompts to get to one (CLICK on account specific question and human and submit a ticket )

@frank44 wrote:

(all times Pacific PST)

About 1045pm Jan31 I completed the PM account setup and porting from a regular postpaid Koodo account, however now 19 hours later (5pm Feb 1) my iPhone 8 doesn't yet work on PM.  However it still works on Koodo if I go back to the Koodo SIM.

Here is what I did:

- on Koodo a tab for the iPhone 8 was paid off early over a month ago, and just in case I paid latest Koodo bill in advance

- set up PM account for a new number, as instructions indicated this should be done. Correct PM fee was taken from my bank VISA debit account

- I shut off the iPhone and swapped in the PM SIM, it was a new one I bought 4 years ago and unused until now

- I was then unable to send or receive calls or text messages and the PM cell signal level looked low and fluctuating. It's unlikely but possible there was a PM or Telus cell tower problem as a wind and rain storm happened and there were power outages in the area (but not at my place)

- Feb 1 9am there was 1 text message received from PM saying acccount setup had happened and listing $2 prepay discount etc.  However the phone remained essentially not working on PM, although signal looks OK at 2 - 4 bars.

- many iPhone reboots were done but PM still not working.

- Feb 1 1 pm I swapped back to the Koodo SIM and phone works OK on Koodo

- I checked on computer my PM account data and it indicates my correct requested old phone number is the setting.

- Feb 1 5 pm I swapped back to PM SIM and phone still not working.

What to do now?  Maybe it was a bad idea for me to do the Koodo to PM switchover late at night since there might be human actions required somewhere at Koodo or PM (and they had gone home)?

Need Help? Let's chat.