cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Problems with Plan to use up Data

Stelawrat
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Over the years that I've been with Public Mobile, I've accumulated gift rewards totalling 1500 minutes of Long Distance calling & 6 GB data, which remain pretty much intact because, with one negligible exception, I've never used more than 2 GB data per month. I understand these rewards are account bound, i.e., not dependent on the plan subscription. 

I still have 103 days left to use the recent Loyalty Bonus of 240 GB data that I received, which I know I'll lose if I downsize my current plan subscription, but clearly I'll never use this data. 

I've never had any problems with Public Mobile, so in order to make the best use of the upcoming switch to the points system, I'm thinking of changing to the $15 per month plan at my next renewal date in May. 

I understand that my current plan will no longer be available to me, as it no longer exists. At the same time, I realize that when my data is finally used up, there might not be an interesting, cost effective plan to switch to, but I'm willing to take that gamble. 

Somehow, it seems a bit too easy a solution, to finally using up all of the data I've accumulated. 

So people, am I missing something? Are there any holes in my plan? 

Stelawrat_0-1714320594278.png

17 REPLIES 17

Stelawrat

Posting this just to update the thread with a final comment. 

As anticipated, after the transfer from my old to this new plan, my previously earned gift rewards 1500 minutes of Long Distance calling & 6 GB data, are still available. The Loyalty Bonus 240 GB data has been removed, which I knew would happen & was okay with that. I use my phone pretty much only at home, with wi-fi, so will be using very little data.

Tax included, I was paying $28.74 per month, now reduced to $17.25, a monthly savings of $11.49 for a plan with the same benefits as my old one, with an increase in speed from 3G to 4G. 

Checked my bank account & the transaction was correctly updated. I've tested calling, sending messages, texts, pictures, all fine.

So for me, this has been a really good experience. Thanks to everyone here & take care now. o/

Stelawrat_0-1715687635233.png

Stelawrat

@SandyC wrote:

This is the case for me! I think they should at least give me the 5gb that others who were on the $15 plan prior to the Rewards points program switch got. But they removed the 240gb and did not add the 5gb. Just as u said. 

I do have some banked bonus data from before but that is besides the point. The principle of the matter is that the agent promised that if I switched plans I would not get the 240gb removed but then it was. 

they say that currently they are slow to respond because of high volume of tickets. 

I'm sorry @SandyC . I wasn't on a $15 plan prior to this, so I'm really not familiar with your situation at all.

I really hope that my original post didn't mislead you & if it did, then as I said, I bet if you reference this thread in your ticket, then it would probably help. Good luck. o/

SandyC
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is the case for me! I think they should at least give me the 5gb that others who were on the $15 plan prior to the Rewards points program switch got. But they removed the 240gb and did not add the 5gb. Just as u said. 

I do have some banked bonus data from before but that is besides the point. The principle of the matter is that the agent promised that if I switched plans I would not get the 240gb removed but then it was. 

they say that currently they are slow to respond because of high volume of tickets. 

Stelawrat

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Stelawrat wrote:

I'm guessing that you must have 5 GB data, since that is what you've said in this latest post. If you're like me re: typical use, then that 5 GB data should last a good long while as well. 

When the 240GB bonus gets removed,  customers do not then get the 5GB bonus that was given to some customers in conjunction with the announced change to points.  Customers who downgrade would get neither bonus.

I don't remember a bonus offer like that, when the change to points was announced. I guess I felt good enough with my plan at the time, that I didn't pay close enough attention, that or I've since forgotten!  🙄 

If @SandyC had no banked data, then Sandy, I'm really sorry.

If that's the case, if you were relying on the 5 GB data that @computergeek541 is referencing here, then I feel if you were to open a ticket & use this thread as proof of what you understood, then they'd help you out. 

All the best everyone. Take care now. o/

@Stelawrat wrote:

I'm guessing that you must have 5 GB data, since that is what you've said in this latest post. If you're like me re: typical use, then that 5 GB data should last a good long while as well. 

When the 240GB bonus gets removed,  customers do not then get the 5GB bonus that was given to some customers in conjunction with the announced change to points.  Customers who downgrade would get neither bonus.

Stelawrat

@SandyC wrote:

My plan just renewed and They removed the 240gb bonus. Their reasoning is that the $15 plan only gets 5gb bonus or something like that. So our plan did not work 😭 

Hi Sandy, 

"I still have 103 days left to use the recent Loyalty Bonus of 240 GB data that I received, which I know I'll lose if I downsize my current plan subscription, but clearly I'll never use this data."

As I said in my original post, I knew that I'd lose that Loyalty Bonus, but I was okay with that, given how little I use per month. I have 6 GB banked data to use, which will last me a good long time. 

Sorry for any confusion. 😟 All the best now! o/

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@SandyC - File a CCTS complaint because Chalupa_Batman did one here due to them switching to the $15 plan: Re: Upcoming Changes to our Old Rewards Program - Page 3 - Community (publicmobile.ca)

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/complaint-form/

And before contact CS_Agent:

Submit a ticket via Chatbot:

fixin1_0-1715219848091.png

If you just want it quick and easy, here it is:

⬇️  Click the link for an Agent * ⬇️

https://urlshortner.tiia.ai/xYpc_I

If the link above doesn’t work correctly OR you don’t have access to Log In, please go here to create a ticket to CS_Agent: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

* - CS_Agent will typically get back to you within 48 hours. They work 7 days a week from 9 AM to 10 PM EST.  You will be required to login to your Public Mobile Community Account to contact CS_Agent. Once you are finished making the ticket with CS_Agent, please ensure that you monitor for one of the agents responding back to you because they may notify you asking for some information via Private Message, in your community mailbox by clicking this link here: Mailbox

SandyC

My plan just renewed and They removed the 240gb bonus. Their reasoning is that the $15 plan only gets 5gb bonus or something like that. So our plan did not work 😭 

Stelawrat

Sandy, I believe that the only time your add-ons become incompatible, is when your plan features exceed your add-on features.

For example, if the plan you're switching to has unlimited data, then your banked data is "incompatible", as you'll never have a need to use it.

But your banked data is account bound, not plan, so you'll never lose it. 

If you're changing to the plan I've just changed to, that has no GB data, then you'll be fine. You'll just have to watch how much you still have banked, but like me, I'm thinking it's going to last you a long time. 

Good luck! o/

SandyC

this is my exact plan, especially as I am switching to work from home exclusively for the next 6 months and I have wi-fi at home like most people and have never used up more than 1 GB of data per month except when I was moving. 

In the fine print it says if you change your plan, "add-ons may become incompatible" so this is the part I am worried about. 

Stelawrat

This is the first time since joining Public Mobile years ago, that I've ever changed my plan. I've never had any problems to date, so hopefully all goes smoothly with this transition as well.

Thanks again to you three! @fixin1 @BKNS27 @Chalupa_Batman 

Done!

Stelawrat_0-1714350071723.png

Stelawrat

@Chalupa_Batman Thank you for the reply. I see that you're in the same situation as I am, with lots of old reward minutes & data ready to use up. 

I agree with everyone who was compensated with the bonus data, especially those of us with 240 GB, that it was a backhanded method for Telus to use, guaranteed to foster disappointment & anger as a result. 

I've not gone down the complaint route, but I wish those of you who have the best of luck. o/

Stelawrat

Yes, that's how I see it as well. It would take me a lifetime to use 240 GB of data. In fact, it may me that long to use the 6 GB I've already accumulated. 😳 

And I agree, this new $15 plan is a definite improvement over the old one. It matches exactly the benefits of my current plan re: the calling features, including international text & messaging, & at 4G.

With 6 GB of data just sitting in my account, I shouldn't have to buy any data add-ons for quite a while, so it's really a decent choice at a great price.

With my current Loyalty Rewards, I pay $25 per month, so even losing these with the transfer to the Points system in May, I'll still be saving $10 per month for the exact same plan features.

I think it's a great plan for anyone who, like me, has banked GBs of data ready to use. It seemed too good to be true, that's why I posted. I thought maybe I was missing something. But I guess I'm good to go. 

Thank you @BKNS27 !  

Stelawrat

Thank you for reply but, I think there's been a misunderstanding.

I wouldn't want to change to a plan with 3 GB data, as that would defeat the purpose. For sure then I'd be stuck with all of my unused data already accumulated forever & I'd actually be adding to it. 😮

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @Stelawrat 

Due to recent events, I went from the $34 Can/US 50GB plan down to the $15 250mb plan. I have 2500 minutes to use plus 8GB of data. When all that is used up, and it may actually take years to do it as this is my back up phone, guess we'll see what happens. And yes, I lost the 240GB of loyalty data. I have filed a complaint with the CCTS over the loss as I felt what they did was extortion. The 240GB of data was a gift for being loyal to Public Mobile, not for staying on a certain monetary plan. But by them forcing you to stay on a higher monetary plan to keep this "gift", that's extortion. I am however currently in talks to get the 240GB placed back on my account. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Stelawrat 

Since you are will to lose the 240gb of data when you download your plan. The new $15 plan seems to be better than the old one. Instead of 100 minute outgoing call and 250mb data in 3G…it is now unlimited calling and texting across Canada in 4G.

This will be a good plan for those who are connected to home wifi or free wifi and just talk & text.

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Stelawrat - Yes, your more is merrier data bonuses, existing data bonus except the 240GB and LD minutes will stay unless it has an expiry.

You could also ask CS_Agent for the $21 3GB plan or get the $29 ($75 90 days with 60GB) 20GB plan.

⬇️  Click the link for an Agent * ⬇️

https://urlshortner.tiia.ai/xYpc_I

If the link above doesn’t work correctly OR you don’t have access to Log In, please go here to create a ticket to CS_Agent: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

* - CS_Agent will typically get back to you within 48 hours. They work 7 days a week from 9 AM to 10 PM EST.  You will be required to login to your Public Mobile Community Account to contact CS_Agent. Once you are finished making the ticket with CS_Agent, please ensure that you monitor for one of the agents responding back to you because they may notify you asking for some information via Private Message, in your community mailbox by clicking this link here: Mailbox

Need Help? Let's chat.