cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting postpaid Koodo phone number

Bottomshelf
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi,

Looking for up to date information on porting spouse's Koodo postpaid phone number.

Is one option better than the other? 

Is there a better option?

I'm guessing either option will get me the same result but is one option better to use than the other?

I am looking at a post from "sy" dated Aug 20/19.

Option 1:

- buy sim card

- click on "Activate" link and follow instructions

Option 2:

- create new self serve account

- buy sim card

-  go to self serve account and click on "change number" and follow steps

I am currently a Public Mobile customer.

I will give my spouse the referral code to enter.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

That's a great update, @Bottomshelf , thanks for providing!

And re the SIM card fingerprint, here's some additional info which may be helpful, however if the SIM appears to function fine, I'd leave it alone.

Gently rub an eraser or cotton swab along the gold contacts on your SIM card. Continue to make light strokes until your SIM card is clean.

Using rubbing alcohol can remove oxidation.  Dampen one end of a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol. Then gently rub the alcohol against the gold contacts on your SIM card. Continue cleaning the contacts until all of the oxidation is gone. The cotton swab should be damp but not soaking wet with alcohol. 

Bottomshelf
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to give you an update on porting my spouse's phone number.

Success!

As per everyone's suggestions and links it worked. 

Here is one link provided by @HALIMACS

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

FYI for everyone else that is porting a Koodo post paid phone plan, here is what I did:

• Keep old sim card in phone (also account is still active)
  • Have all your info ready - porting phone number, old provider's account number OR IMEI number, credit card info, creation of user id and password
  • Go to Activate link (on the top of the Public Mobile site) and input requested information
  • Enter credit card info. "Auto pay" by default is automatically checked off.
  • Enter referral or promo codes
  • Once registration is complete, in my case, within about 10 minutes or less, a text message was sent.  In my case, the Koodo text requested a confirmation of the transfer.  Answered 'yes".  You will have 90 minutes to respond.  If you do not respond, text will be repeated a few times after which you will have to contact customer support.  

From the website noted above: "Note, that if you are transferring an existing number from TELUS Prepaid, TELUS Postpaid, or Koodo Postpaid, and have missed the 90 minute window to respond, we will automatically resend you the SMS text to validate the transfer up to 5 times between the hours of 11 AM and 8 PM ET. If those attempts are unsuccessful, we will send an SMS with instructions on how to reinitiate your number transfer request."

Some more tips: from the above referenced link:

• Your old SIM card must be inside your device and your account with your previous provider must still be active so you can receive and respond to the SMS and authorize the request. Please do not replace your old SIM card with your Public SIM until you have responded to this message.
  • Be sure to check all texts that could go to any other members on the old account and any junk or spam folders.

"Please note, it may take up to 2 hours to complete mobile number transfers, and up to 3 business days for landline number transfers. You may experience mixed service during this time until the transfer is complete."

After the above is complete:

• turn power off on your cell phone
  • remove old sim card
  • add new sim card 
  • power on 
  • see if Public Mobile service has been activated (keeping in mind the range of activation time period)
  • phone your number from another number

My final concern was installing the small sim card and fretting over the fact that I may have put my fingerprint on the sim card and perhaps impairing it efficiency/usage or inoperable.

Appears to be working fine so far!

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Take care and stay safe!

@Bottomshelf 

Canadian Cell Supplies is currently offering a free sim card ( or $5 refund) and up to 50% off your first month if you activate with them. You may want to consider their offer.....

When activating I would just port in upon activation.  Check the authorized to port box and enter the following:

1. Full name on koodo account.
  2. Koodo phone number.
  3. Koodo account #.
  4. Your phone# as alternate number.

Keep the koodo sim card in the phone until you recieve the porting authorization text. Respond to it. Once koodo recieves it the porting process will begin. You can then put the pm sim card in the phone and reboot. The port should complete within minutes but may take up to 2 hours to complete. Once you can recieve texts and calls from all providers customers your port is complete and the koodo account is closed.

If it does not complete in two hours your port is stuck. Contact the moderators or call the telus porting department to complete your port. I will send you the phone # via private message. Welcome your wife to public mobile from us!

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Bottomshelf 

Refer to this link below for more details on the porting process:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

Here's the complete process:

Getting Started with Public Mobile - What to Do

Start with reading the get started section of the public mobile website.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-started

Essentially the first step is getting a Public Mobile SIM card (can usually get FREE at Walmart if they do the activation there, or through Public Mobile, London Drugs, or Canadian Cell Supplies).  

Make sure to use a referral code on the referrers self serve page  (if you know someone currently using Public Mobile) so you both get rewarded for doing so.  See pic below where that is on the self-serve page:

HALIMACS_0-1615585023731.png

If porting a cell number from another provider, be sure to get the account number from the previous provider before beginning the activation process.  See link below on specifics regarding porting & changing a number:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

Once your all set to go, click on Activate on top of Public Mobile website, and if you need help, see link below for live assistance throughout the process:

https://chat.telus.com/chat/publicmobile/chat-pm.html?portal=publicmobile&language=en

Need Help? Let's chat.