cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting number to new carrier

jmal71
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am having trouble porting my number back to my old carrier, they made me an amazing offer, the number port doesn't seem to be going through. Then I want to use this sim for my husband so he can keep this account on his phone, is that possible to do ? 

6 REPLIES 6

@DennyCrane wrote:

Virgin let you re use an old sim? That surprises me. As far as I was aware every carrier requires a new sim once the account is closed. 

Carriers could always do it but generally don't as a matter of policy, at least when it comes to when a custoemr ports out.  Carriers will reactivate an old SIM card if the nuber wasn't ported out and if it's activated to the same account/phone number that it was just cancelled from. This could happen when a customers change their minds about cancelling. In the case of Virgin Mobile doing allowing re-use of a SIM card for a phone number that was portied out before, I suspect that they may have reversed the porting process as it being previously done in error.

@DennyCrane it is possible.  I heard of that. Myabe just a grace period before a sim can be reactivate, maybe be the sim can be reactivated as long as it is the same account

Virgin let you re use an old sim? That surprises me. As far as I was aware every carrier requires a new sim once the account is closed. 

jmal71
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks , weird that I could use my old virgin mobile sim when i re-ported back to them ... was hoping I could do the same here, but I am not paying another 10 dollars for a sim card, will just use lucky. 

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@jmal71 

If you port out to your previous carrier, your PM account will be permanently closed.  Unable to keep the PM account for your husband.

You will need to contact your new carrier to re-start the port process.  You will need to provide the carrier with your PM account number, phone number and account holder name.  Ignore IME information. Your PM account needs to be active (not suspended).  Keep your PM SIM card in your phone to respond to the Port request text.  Respond yes to the request.  

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Once you port out the account is closed and the sim is useless. Your husband will need a new account and a new sim. 

Need Help? Let's chat.