cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting from Fido

min3
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'll be porting my phone number from Fido. Is there a day in the billing cycle that I should be doing it on, or will my monthly fee be prorated?

Do I have to contact Fido to close my account after having ported over, or does the account automatically close?

Thanks! 🙂

6 REPLIES 6

JL9
Mayor / Maire

When I came back from postpaid Koodo and their bs price increases... It was prorated, so the sooner the better for you as it is less you have to pay Fido 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@min3 

• Porting automatically closes your account. Do not cancel your fido account ahead of time.
  • Porting from a prepaid account should be done near the end of the 30 day cycle with a couple of days to spare in case you encounter a problem porting in your number.
  • Postpaid accounts are prorated so porting in earlier in the monthly billing period if you are on a more expensive plan with fido than the plan you activate with pm will save you money.
  • If you are on a contract with a device subsidy porting in within the first couple of days of the last month of your contract will pay off your device subsidy in full at the prorated monthly amount of your monthly bill and avoiding an ECF (early cancellation fee).

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@min3 

It depends if your Fido is prepaid or postpaid plan. If it is a prepaid plan, port your number on the day before your renewal date.

If it is postpaid plan, it would be something that you will need to confirm with Fido if it is prorated. 

Your Fido account must be activate to port your number over to PM so don't close your account when you call them.

@min3 wrote:

I'll be porting my phone number from Fido. Is there a day in the billing cycle that I should be doing it on, or will my monthly fee be prorated?

Do I have to contact Fido to close my account after having ported over, or does the account automatically close?

Porting out from Fido will automatically close out the service attached to that phone number at Fido.  

As for prorating, these really are questions to ask Fido, but I will say that prorating only happens for postpaid accounts.  You will not receive any refund if you're coming from a prepaid account at Fido.

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@min3 

Your Fido account will be prorated if it is post paid.

Porting will close your Fido account

Anonymous
Not applicable

@min3- Most importantly, do not contact Fido to cancel.  It will be done automatically when you port/transfer your number to Public Mobile.  Your Fido number MUST be active in order to transfer it.  As for best time to do the transfer, it depends on your Fido plan.

Need Help? Let's chat.