cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting a home number to cell

shskr
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

How easy is it to port a home number to a new activated sim card and new account? The person wants to close her home phone (landline) and activate a new account on PM and port her home number over.

What is the process and is it easy to do?

How long does it take?

My porting of a cell from a different provider over to public was fairly simple and it took about 10 minutes. I would think porting a home phone line would be more complicated.

Thanks

20 REPLIES 20

surreyboz

@sa7375 wrote:

@surreyboz wrote:

@sa7375 wrote:

@shskr

Hi,

You already have your questions answered. Based on the experience of a family member who just completed exactly the same thing - ported a landline number to Public Mobile (PM), these tips might help reduce your anxiety:

1. Expect about 7 days for the process to complete

2. During the porting process expect a hybrid phone arrangement, that is, you'll be able to call out from your PM number with your new ported number ID but the incoming calls may still go to your landline. Not definitely but possibly, this may last for 2-3 days.

3. Like everyone earlier has advised, do not cancel or talk to your landline provider. Let that account continue and once the porting is complete and working 100%, call them to cancel your service

Wish you a happy & quick porting Smiley Happy

Last Paragraph is Bad Advice, You never have to contact your previous provider to cancel the service. Once a Port is completed your service is Automatically cancelled 

Even the bad advice may not be bad: it may just be prudent. Read on.

In the case of the family member I mentioned above, she was surprised that Rogers (the landline phone provider) continued charging her for the landline even after successful porting. Why? Her landline worked through a Modem provided by Rogers which per Rogers' viewpoint had to be returned for cancellation of the service. So she landed up paying for a cancelled phone service till she returned the Modem.

Well obviously if you have any sort of equipment provided, it has to be Returned. Port out Cancels your service but it's your responsibility to call and find out what you should do with the equipment that was provided  

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@surreyboz wrote:

@sa7375 wrote:

@shskr

Hi,

You already have your questions answered. Based on the experience of a family member who just completed exactly the same thing - ported a landline number to Public Mobile (PM), these tips might help reduce your anxiety:

2. During the porting process expect a hybrid phone arrangement, that is, you'll be able to call out from your PM number with your new ported number ID but the incoming calls may still go to your landline. Not definitely but possibly, this may last for 2-3 days.

3. Like everyone earlier has advised, do not cancel or talk to your landline provider. Let that account continue and once the porting is complete and working 100%, call them to cancel your service

Last Paragraph is Bad Advice, You never have to contact your previous provider to cancel the service. Once a Port is completed your service is Automatically cancelled 

Even the bad advice may not be bad: it may just be prudent. Read on.

In the case of the family member I mentioned above, she was surprised that Rogers (the landline phone provider) continued charging her for the landline even after successful porting. Why? Her landline worked through a Modem provided by Rogers which per Rogers' viewpoint had to be returned for cancellation of the service. So she landed up paying for a cancelled phone service till she returned the Modem.

shskr

Great advice from everyone, this community has been very helpful.

surreyboz

@sa7375 wrote:

@shskr

Hi,

sa7375
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@shskr

Hi,

Gregmt
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Good catch Lieux. Never seen that miss when I proof read . I have it fixed now. Thanks again.

@Gregmt Is it more exact if you write: if you do NOT Pm will be able....??

Gregmt

Do not contact the landline provider to ask to have phone number released for porting. Once you go on the Public Mobile online account and ask to Port in your landline phone number, Public Mobile porting Dept will take care of all that. Do Not cancel your old Landline account. If you do, Public Mobile will  not be able to Port your old Landline number to their network. 

Gregmt

Porting a home phone number, as you have read from previous replys, is the exact same process as porting an old cell phone number to public mobile. I would however, before making the move check to see that my old landline phone number is able to be ported to Public Mobile by using Public Mobile online test. If it is portable then I would active service on Public mobile with a new number from them which is local to your area. Once that is up and working I would log into my Public Mobile online account and on that first page once logged in, on the right hand side you will see " my profile section" . From that section look for the " change my number" link. Follow the links from there. You will need the landline account number, phone number you want to Port in, old landline company name and check off the box staying you are The authorized account holder of the old landline account. Then you wait from 3 to 7 business days for the port to take place. 

shskr

@Anonymous wrote:

@shskr wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@shskr wrote:

How easy is it to port a home number to a new activated sim card and new account? The person wants to close her home phone (landline) and activate a new account on PM and port her home number over.

How long does it take?

My porting of a cell from a different provider over to public was fairly simple and it took about 10 minutes. I would think porting a home phone line would be more complicated.

Thanks

It is the same process.  I would activate a sim with a new number.  Once service is up and running you can then login to self serve and go to change number to start the port.  It is the same steps but it can take upto 7 days to complete the port.  As usual you shouldn't contact your previous provider and close your account.  The porting out of the number will close the account for you.

Thank you this clarifies it. Can I make this post the solution? Didn't see this til I reread the post and made another post as solution.

Oh man..:)

Click the three dots in the upper right to switch things around.

Sorry @Anonymous

shskr

@wetcoaster wrote:

@shskr wrote:

Do you need to contact the landline provider to  ask to release the number for porting? 

So if it takes a week to port a landline number over does the landline not work til it get ported to a new activated sim on the cell? 

I believe the person needs her home phone  for emergency calling if need be.

That's why I would activate the Public Mobile account with a random number - so that is available even if there are hick-ups in the porting process.

The landline number should be working until the port is completed.

Thanks @wetcoaster

shskr

@Anonymous wrote:

@shskr wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@shskr wrote:

How long does it take?

Thanks

It is the same process.  I would activate a sim with a new number.  Once service is up and running you can then login to self serve and go to change number to start the port.  It is the same steps but it can take upto 7 days to complete the port.  As usual you shouldn't contact your previous provider and close your account.  The porting out of the number will close the account for you.

Thank you this clarifies it. Can I make this post the solution? Didn't see this til I reread the post and made another post as solution.

OK Done!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shskr wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@shskr wrote:

How long does it take?

Thanks

shskr

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@shskr wrote:

How long does it take?

Thanks

@shskr wrote:

Do you need to contact the landline provider to  ask to release the number for porting? 

So if it takes a week to port a landline number over does the landline not work til it get ported to a new activated sim on the cell? 

That's why I would activate the Public Mobile account with a random number - so that is available even if there are hick-ups in the porting process.

The landline number should be working until the port is completed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shskr wrote:

No contact required.

It will work until the source finally releases it.

shskr

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shskr wrote:

How long does it take?

Thanks

Stage fright there @ShawnC13? 🙂

Edit: to explain...when I wrote this he had posted a blank post. hmmm new strategy? 🙂

Porting land lines can take several days. It's the same steps that you did. The source account has to be active at time of porting.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@shskr wrote:

How long does it take?

Thanks

Porting number from landline will take up to a week.  It depends on how quickly the landline provider releases your number.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@shskr wrote:

How long does it take?

Thanks

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Need Help? Let's chat.