cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ported my number from VoIP to Public Mobile but number is still showing as VoIP

sohosynergy
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

Based on our discussion in 2022 I had to port out my number to VoIP and then get a new SIM then PORT IN to Public Mobile my secondary number that was with VoIP.  The problem now is, my bank and several 2FA tools I use for security purposes still see my ported in number as a VoIP line and are rejecting the phone number even though it is active on my new SIM.  After much back and forth with said companies, they told me only my telco provider can correct this. The prefix of my phone number is 518.

8 REPLIES 8

sohosynergy

So with Nezgar and HALIMACS information below I just submitted a ticket to support to see if they can discuss with the LNP team submitting the corrections.  I will keep you posted as this could become an issue for others who are porting in from VoIP providers.

@sohosynergy wrote:

Thank you Halimacs,

I'm waiting for Nezgar's results then if it is still an issue I will create a support ticket following your directions above.

So I got @sohosynergy 's PM.... and a true LRN check indeed shows the number currently with Telus Mobility as expected, but the area code and prefix indicate the number originally came from "ISP Telecom" - which is one of a number of CLEC's commonly used by business and VoIP reseller services...

Unfortunately, it confirms that the banks are not doing a true LRN lookup to see if the number is really a mobile number or not, they are merely doing a simple lookup against the public CNAC database of what type of number it was ORIGINALLY... in this case, the banks and services that are failing to send 2FA SMS are simply deciding that his number is NOT a mobile number because it ORIGINALLY was a non-mobile number from ISP Telecom....

Unfortunately, I don't think there's an easy way about this... the number is working just fine as far as the telephone network is concerned, but the designers of the banks' 2FA systems made a stupid decision to skip doing a true LRN lookup.... There may not be a good way out of this, other than working around these companies deficient 2FA systems by switching to a new number that "originally" came from a mobile phone service...

Edit: On the other hand, this provides some interesting insight into the way these companies 2FA systems decide whether a number is Mobile aka "Good" or VoIP/Landline or "Bad" ... It suggests that you could improve the ability of a VoIP service to be able to receive 2FA SMS by acquiring a number from a mobile phone service provider, then porting it away to a VoIP provider, since they don't do LRN lookups to detect that change. Hmmm!

sohosynergy

Thank you Halimacs,

I'm waiting for Nezgar's results then if it is still an issue I will create a support ticket following your directions above.

sohosynergy

I've PM'd you with the details, thank you for looking into this for me as I REALLY don't want to have to change the number, it is associated with so many things it would take me almost a week to update everyone.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@sohosynergySince you mentioned your number was originally from a mobile carrier before porting to VoIP, the banks may still see it as a "land line" until they eventually see the updated status from an LRN lookup to see that it is now truly a "mobile" number again..... it may take a few days to a week for the bank's system to eventually start working for 2FA.

Some people here have had success by removing their number from the banks systems, and adding it new again... but maybe time will help. How long has it been already?

If you like you can private-message me and I can run an actual LRN check on your number... but that still doesn't tell us how the banks are determining what it is, or how long it will take for their systems to see the updated status of your line...

Suppose you might want to ask the support agents for assistance @sohosynergy 

To contact a Customer Support Agent, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click here to create a support ticket, or
  2. Send a private message to Customer Support Agent by clicking here.  You’ll need to be logged into your Community account for the link to work.

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

sohosynergy

It was ported in over 3 months ago.  All services are functioning fine and I use to work for two different telcos before and after LNP (Local Number Portability) was mandated.  Canada and USA are 10 digit numbers (613-555-5555: 613 Area Code, 555: Prefix, 5555: Line Number) and it seems that the Prefix 518 in my number is still being reported as a VoIP line...I urgently need this corrected!

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@sohosynergy 

has the porting been completed?  are you receiving incoming calls on your PM sim card?  Please not porting from land line could take up to 7 days.

Also, banks 2FA system take another 5 to 7 days after the porting to recognize that your changed the provoder, has it been a full week after porting was completed? ( against porting completed ot not depends if your PM sim card is receiving incoming calls)

And many systems check if a number is VoIP or not based on the area code and the next 3 digits.  So, if the number was originally owned the VOIP provider, those 2FA system might not check further to see if it was  on fact ported out.  So, if the porting was done and have done for over 7 days, calls your bank and ask them to check on their systm

Need Help? Let's chat.