cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port in to Public Mobile

Akhavan_sigari
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi,

I want to port out from my current carrier and join public mobile keeping my existing phone number. How can I do this?

9 REPLIES 9

FlutteringBy
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

When I just recently ported my number over, I found PM did not create an Access Point name....I only had Koodo or Telus SP to chose from...

Once I manually created a Public Mobile access point, all was good....🙂....

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Akhavan_sigari 

Actually it's pretty easy to activate and port your number into public mobile just make sure you have all your ducks in a row before you start.

• 🦆Buy a SIM card from a telus or koodo store or order one online from public mobile but they can take a while to arrive so buying one from a retail store is better.
  • 🦆Have a personal email address preferably one that will be account specific so as to keep your public mobile account as secure as possible.
  • 🦆Prepare ahead of time the password, 4 digit account pin number, credit or credit/debit card and billing address that you intend to use to when activating your sim card, paying for your plan and creating your account.
  • 🦆Have ready your referral code from a friend or family member for your $10 bonus referral credit and the current promotional $25 bonus referral credit ($5×5 months). If you don't have a referral code to use you can choose any community member you like and send them a private message asking them to be your friend (lol) and to share their referral code with you. They will be happy to oblige. Unsolicited referral codes are against the rules and should not be used.
  • 🦆Choose the plan you intend to activate on. If it's a $25 plus plan then be sure to enter the promo code 12MONTHS2GB. If you plan on activating a $35+ plan then use the promo code 2GBBONUS. Hopefully that promo code will work on 4G plans as well. Be sure to report back if it does.
  • 🦆Take screenshots of your activation and your transaction page (and /or download the transaction page) at the end of the activation so you have all of the information that you entered to set up and activate your account or write it down on a piece of paper and put it in a safe and secure place for future reference.
  • 🦆Personally I now prefer to take a temporary number to activate an account so that I am assured that once the activation is finished all my services are are working (before I port my number in)... Check your calling, texting and data. When you choose a temporary number I like to choose an Alberta phone number so that I only pay 5% GST on my plan and save myself any PST that might exist.
  • 🦆Once you have paid for your plan and activated your account and SIM card put the Public Mobile SIM card in your phone and reboot it. Then test your calling, texting and data services to ensure they are all working.
  • 🦆If all your services are working you can then log into your self service account*. Check your account profile to ensure everything you entered is correct. Write down or take a screenshot of your account number and your sim card number to include with the other safely stowed documentation you have about your account. *If your services are not working on your sim card after activation you must contact customer support to have them properly provision your sim card to your account
  • 🦆Have prepared the information you need to port your phone number in from your old provider. Login to your self service account and choose the change number feature. Check the authorized to transfer phone number box.You will need to enter the following information :
  • Full name on your on your old account.
  • Phone number to be ported in.
  • Your old provider's account #.
  • 🦆If you only have one phone at your disposal take out the Public Mobile SIM card and replace it with your old providers SIM card so that you can reply YES to the (PAT) porting authorization text that you will receive on your old SIM card. As long as you reply within 90 minutes of receiving the PAT you can then remove the old provider SIM card and replace it again with your PM SIM card and reboot your phone.
  • 🦆Your port will complete within a few minutes or no more than 15 to 20 minutes later. The maximum it would take for a mobile phone number to be ported in is 2 hours but at the half hour point in time you can call the telus porting department for an update on your port's progress or to correct any information that may cause your port to fail.
  • 🦆When your port completes your incoming calling will be routed through your pm phone and SIM card. Your old SIM card will no longer work.Your old providers account will immediately be canceled and closed so make sure before porting that you have active service on your old account.
  • 🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆           Now you have a baker's dozen...

Welcome to Public Mobile!

Edit:

Corrected typos and poor grammar.

JL9
Mayor / Maire

The 6 or 12 months limited time ones seem to usually be 25 or above, although I did see one iteration that was 35 once 

JL9
Mayor / Maire

The permanent 2GB bonus needs 35 or above (and I am guessing they won't honour it with any 4G plans)

JL9
Mayor / Maire

If you get a plan 35 or above (at least if you are going 3G) you can actually get the 2GB for as long as you have the plan

https://publicmobile.ca/en/on/pd2-5413877902?ds_rl=1268486&ds_rl=1268486&gclid=CjwKCAjwzruGBhBAEiwAU...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Akhavan_sigari   

Since you said you want to "join public mobile", I will assume you have not joined yet.

first confirm if you can port your number into PM here:

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/default.do?lang=en&appname=otherportal

(Its a Koodo site, but both Koodo and PM are owned by Telus, so the result will apply here)

Then  go ahead and activate online at https://activate.publicmobile.ca/ .  On Step 2 of Activation, you will select "I want to bring my existing number with me" and follow the step.  i suggest you to provide account number of your old provider instead of IMEI.  IMEI might work but it has higher chance of causing issues

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Akhavan_sigari 

Here is some more additional information:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/port-fraud-protection

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/choose-your-phone-number

Your current carrier account should be active. Keep your old carrier SIM card in your phone until you receive the port request.  

Any further questions, just let us know.  

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@Akhavan_sigari 

ensure that you have received a validation SMS text from your previous service provider, and that you have followed the instructions in the message within 90 minutes to approve the number transfer.
Your old SIM card must be inside your device and your account with your previous provider must still be active so you can receive and respond to the SMS and authorize the request. Please do not replace your old SIM card with your Public SIM until you have responded to this message SMS reply YES
To given the approval to transfer your old number to new provider.

Activate Your SIM Card Online

get an additional 2GB of data for free every month for 12 months with promo code 12MONTHS2GB.

Flash Sale

if have any issue with port contact PM to support team by private  CS_Agent  

Need Help? Let's chat.