cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port first or sort out promo?

dirk
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My original order was ordered 7 November and was supposed to ship 9 November. It never arrived. A Mod tried to send out another but it also got lost.

I ordered another sim on the weekend and got it 8 December. I successfully registered a new account under the $120/6GB plan and checked that SMS/phone/data works.

My question is, should I port my number first or should I wait for a Mod to update my plan to the previous $120/12GB promo plan? I tried to message Jeremy_M last night but I got nothing.

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9

@jbeales wrote:

well times are changing now BELL,FIDO,ROGERS wont give you customer service if you don't know "remember" your pin, i agree with you your pin does not accomplish anything with PM , but for the other provider that is your signature , like with your debit card don't know your pin forget about using cash dispensers, just saying

Yes, providers do ask for your pin when calling into customer service.  But that doesn't have anything to do with number porting. 

If you go into a store to sign up for service and tell them you wish to port a number in, it's almost guaranteed you'll be asked for original carrier's invoice/bill and if you tell them you don't have it with you, you'll almost always be then asked by the person behind the counter for the account number of your old provider.  Simply put, when you're porting in-store, you won't be asked for your old company's PIN number. And if you do happen to have an inovice from your original carrier, the employee will just type in only your account number on the porting request form and won't even ask you for any other porting information (PIN, IMEI, etc.).

Even if you go through all the threads in this community forum, take a look at all the situations in which a moderator has posted a message asking for information.  The old provider's account number is almost always what is asked for of the customer.  I would not be surprised if the moderators ask for it upwards of at least 95% of the time, favoring it over both PIN and IMEI.

The PIN and IMEI information is really just an alternative to the account number for proving porting authorization, and I believe only should be used if the user can't get the account number from the old carrier for whatever reason, or if there already was a porting attempt that failed using the account number. 

The customer's account number at a  cell phone carrier is 100% set in stone - it doesn't change.  A PIN can be forgotten and changed by a customer, and IMEI can also change depending on which phone the compnay has on file or if the customer changes phones often.  It's not an accident that the cell phone companies will even tell you just to use only the account number for porting. 

@dirk  sounds like you had a successful port that is great to hear!!!

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Does not matter to which moderator you sent the private message. All tags and private messages are apparently going into a pool accessed by every moderator.

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/All-you-need-to-know-about-our-Communit...

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

dirk
I used just the account number as the phone IMEI shouldn't affect what plan you are using (plus my phone isn't the official one) and the pin might help but it's not starred so it's not required. It took about 30 minutes to port, so they must have caught up to the backlog. I used to use Fido.

I did send my original Sim order number to Jeremy_M but he might be away as I did send it after 5pm local time. But I can wait a bit, I waited a month to get my PM Sim.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@dirk  who is your previous provider as there have been different success rates with different providers.  Koodo Pre-paid is a must for the mods.  Also to get on the promo plan you will need to contact a MOD with your original SIM order number so they can verify it was purchased in the promo time frame

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

jbeales

well times are changing now BELL,FIDO,ROGERS wont give you customer service if you don't know "remember" your pin, i agree with you your pin does not accomplish anything with PM , but for the other provider that is your signature , like with your debit card don't know your pin forget about using cash dispensers, just saying

@jbeales wrote:

hi , if you are going to port your number is easy just remember 1 your account number is NOT your phone number .2 the number you want to port. 3  your pin number if you remember (otherways empty) 4 imei put it on only if you are using the same phone that was given to you by you other provider , if the phone is a replacement don't put anything .5 click the part that you are authorized to port this number.

if you follow this you will port in a flash

cheers

I would stick with just the account number, and only the account number.  Using PIN and IMEI as well won't accomplish anything and is more likely to lead to problems.  At cell phone stores, I have never (ever) heard an employee asking for PIN, or IMEI/ESN/MEID.  Every time, it has always been account number that has been asked for and they don't even want the rest of the information even if you volunteer it. 

jbeales

hi , if you are going to port your number is easy just remember 1 your account number is NOT your phone number .2 the number you want to port. 3  your pin number if you remember (otherways empty) 4 imei put it on only if you are using the same phone that was given to you by you other provider , if the phone is a replacement don't put anything .5 click the part that you are authorized to port this number.

if you follow this you will port in a flash

cheers

jheili99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

hi..

a few options:

1. wait for a mod to change your plan while at the same time doing the port for you

2. you can do the port yourself ( the plan can only be switched to the promo by a mod ).. i would read the instructions very carefully... most port in problems ( not all !!!) were caused by user providing incorrect information to PM ... so you want o make sure that all information matches 100% ... the mods are catching up and replies come in quicker now as it seems..

the promo plan switch is only a minor adjustment for as long as you have proof that your ordered before the cutt-off day which was Nov. 16th ...

cheers

Need Help? Let's chat.