cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port and change phone number

sam9
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
I am currently on a 90 day public mobile plan. I want my wife to take over the plan with her number. She's not with PM at the moment. Do I initiate to port her number over to PM? What happens to my current phone number if I want to keep the number?
15 REPLIES 15

@sam9 wrote:

Yes, I am on a promo plan and my wife needs more talk and data; thus, it's a better arrangement to have her take my plan and I sign up for a regular 90 day plan. Unfortunately, this won't be possible based on all the replies so far. We will consider other options, and both of us want to keep our personal #s, of course 🙂

Really you are stuck with taking a new number so she can have the promo plan. If you willing to make that sacrifice then you could manage the transition for yourself by postponing the change for a month while your contacts get used to your new number. Get a new SIM and activate a new account with a new number. Then leave a message on your old number saying you have moved to the new number. In a month, port-in your wife's number to your old account so she benefits from the fall 2016 promo plan.

Sadly, that's your only option. Robot Frustrated

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

there's no options available for you since as you mentioned you and your wife want to keep own numbers unless if one of you willing to get a new number then there's option available
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

sam9

Yes, I am on a promo plan and my wife needs more talk and data; thus, it's a better arrangement to have her take my plan and I sign up for a regular 90 day plan. Unfortunately, this won't be possible based on all the replies so far. We will consider other options, and both of us want to keep our personal #s, of course 🙂

stonechucker
Mayor / Maire

@sam9,  I didn't see it posted in the thread anywhere, but is there any specific reason you wish your wife to take your plan?

Is your current plan the Fall 2016 promo, or another grandfathered package?  If this is so, then yes, porting her number in, and keeping your number available is not possible without hoop jumping performed by the mods.

However, if you've got a regular 90-day plan, and are looking to switch to something else, just sign your wife up for her own plan, and port her number to that new plan.  All you'd need to do is future-date a plan change for yourself to modify your plan to your desired new configuration.

@computergeek541
That's what's I also already suggested brand new sim and stuff
Simple answer stil is no as other mentioned as well ones any one port old account get canceled right away and there isn't a way to keep active account and port

So nope there no way I guess
** I am not a Mod, please do not include any private info in a private message to me.**

Sorry, but this cannot be done.  If you port a number in, the number that you have now is gone.   Technically, if the number is still in the aging pool or otherwise not assigned, it could theoretically possible be able to get the number re-assigned to you but that would involve opening a brand new Public Mobile account.  I wouldn't hold my breath on that though, and there's really no gurantee that you'd be able to get it back.

@sam9
I know it's a bit disappointing for you but I guess that's how system works

sam9
Thanks all for your replies and help. It's a shame that we cannot make this scenario work.

@Samianauman wrote:
At least I tired @SD08 but I know you guys are here to reconfirmed 👍🏻

Sometimes it may be wise to go through the historical posts to see if the question has been answered or let the veterans of this forum like an oracle weigh in instead of using I think, I hope, I wish answers that may lead to confusion.  

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This is pretty much a frequently asked question.  The answer should be stickied for easy identification.

At least I tired @SD08 but I know you guys are here to reconfirmed 👍🏻

Thx @SD08 for clearing the clouds

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

This request and variants of it (keeping both numbers/keeping one or both plans while swapping number) has been asked before, and the answer was it couldn't be done.  See here for an example:
http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Switching-number-between-2-accounts/m-p/14...

The problem is, each PM account can only hold one phone number at a time and must have a phone number to remain active. As soon as you port out a number to another account, even if it's with the same carrier, the old account is automatically cancelled and you'd lose whatever plan you had. Changing to a new phone number available from PM's number pool first also would not work, since you'd lose control of your old number.  It's a catch-22 kind of problem even for the moderators.

Samianauman
Mayor / Maire

AS @SD08 , @cricketfan mention 

Your number becomes void once she ports her number into your plan

removed my old reply so their will be no CONFUSION thx 

cricketfan
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle
Your number becomes void once she ports her number into your plan.

If you want to save your number and port out, you'll lose the plan.

I don't think there is a way where you'll get what you want unless the mods here can manually make something happen.
Need Help? Let's chat.