cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Network Coverage in North York

amirz
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

I'm living in North York- Toronto - M2N7** and recently I'm experiencing poor network coverage, that caused many failed calls for me.

This is unexpected and I am writing to ask help or comments in this regard.

Thanks,

Amir

13 REPLIES 13

Hi @amirz in fact  3G internet could be faster as it is not capped.    LTE speed is capped at 3Mbps.  3G could be 12 to even 40Mbps in PM

mark_n_
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks amirz, good to know.

It appears Public service is not what it used to be, even basic coverage, like I said previously, it seems to have started in April, they clearly are not interested in fixing this. I too may have to look for other options.

Mark

amirz

Hi Mark,

As I changed to 3G, the network coverage gets much better, so I can answer my calls!, On the other hand, the 3G Internet speed sucks! And you know that we can't change it like a click.

I loved Public Mobile, since the plans are not so reasonable anymore, and these kind of basic issues, I'm considering my other options!

mark_n_
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi amirz, I started having signal problems also in North York about that time, in the Bathurst Sheppard area. The first time I thought it was a fluke, it happed again about a week ago when the other person couldn't hear me. Today I was out walking and the call dropped/couldn't hear me several times, 0 bars. Never had a signal problem before, something has changed and it appears no one is correcting it. I have a Moto G Power, about a year old, no other issues. Default, recommended is LTE. Has your problem been resolved? Suggestions from others appreciated.

Mark

JL9
Mayor / Maire

Ok great so changing it to 3G sped it up then? If you toggle back and forth and face these issues again, that will probably the best way to resolve it.

@amirz Yes, PM does not have VoLTE, the voice is only on 3G.  Sometimes, the voice issue was because the switch from LTE to 3G for the voice calls does not happen quick enough (this will affect incoming calls more)

You can leave it on 3G ONLY for a week or two and try back on the regular settings later

amirz

Yes, Bell is working well on VoLTE.

I swap the sim cards still the same issue, you cannot even talk with PM recently when it's on LTE, but it's working good when I changed it to 3G.

My own phone is iPhone SE2020 and my Bell one is iPhone 11.

lastly, my condo is facing north and seeing the Meridian Art Center.

Bests,

Amir

@amirz your Bell work phone, is it running VoLTE ?

and what device are you using on PM?  I am curious if device is the cause.  Can you swap the SIM/device between your work phone and your own and test it out?

Is your apartment unit facing West?

amirz

Thank you for your response,

replying to your questions:

Yes, it's the same in my balcony and if I go out of the building it will be better.

and, as I have a Bell sim as my work phone, it's working perfectly with no issues.

according to @dust2dust  and your comment, for now I just changed to 3G mode to see the results.

Thank you,

Amir

@amirz   You are right at the heart of North York Centre and you should have great reception there.  I assume it could be just a equipment issue and hopefully just a short interruption and you will get better connection soon 

But is there any big difference when you are closer to the windows or outside of the house?  check if you have any friends on PM/Telus/Koodo/Bell/Virgin/Lucky and see if they encounter the same problem. 

For now, changing the Preferred network to 3G Only as suggested by @dust2dust could be your workaround

LeePublic
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Maybe you should remove your postal code, someone could know where you live now.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @amirz   Was it working well before and just suddenly turned bad?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Try setting the phone to 3G (or WCDMA or UMTS). Don't choose one with LTE or 4G. Or GSM or 2G.

See if that helps. This seems to be a roving problem here and there across the country. It should be temporary.

Need Help? Let's chat.