cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number porting problem

ashleymarie1990
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I am trying to activate a new account with public mobile but need to port my current number but for a message saying I input the wrong account number what do I do now?

4 REPLIES 4

@brettster99 wrote:

One of the first things I think of is, is your phone unlocked because sometimes that causes porting problems. 

Another could be there is security setup that wont allow you to port numbers (do to sim swaping) and need to get in contact to your previous carrier. Another could be your phone might not be compatible with Public mobile. 

A phone being locked to the previous carrier wouldn't/couldn't cause number porting problem coming to Public Mobile.  You don't even need a phone compatible with Public Mobile to port a number over, although you wouldn't be able to use the service without one.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@ashleymarie1990 - First, ensure your previous provider's account is ACTIVE. Exceptions to this rule may be if you are porting over from Koodo or Telus, since Telus owns these 3 companies.

Were you charged for the SIM card activation (if this was a new activation you completed) ?

If you were charged, submit a ticket to CSA to provide them the proper account number of your previous provider.

CSA contact methods here: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/ns/get-help/articles/contact-an-agent

If you did not get past the payment section of the activation pages, then close out of the browser and activation session. Confirm the account number of your previous provider, then try again. When you do try open a tab in incognito mode that way and activate the SIM card.

OR, are you trying to port over a number from another provider into an existing Public Mobile account through your Self Serve account under the Change Sim Card feature? Again, ensure the account number is correct.

See "How To Change Your SIM Card" at the bottom of this Help Article: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/sim-swap-fraud

JL9
Mayor / Maire

First of all where are you porting from and is it a prepaid or postpaid account? 

brettster99
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

One of the first things I think of is, is your phone unlocked because sometimes that causes porting problems. 

Another could be there is security setup that wont allow you to port numbers (do to sim swaping) and need to get in contact to your previous carrier. Another could be your phone might not be compatible with Public mobile. 

Need Help? Let's chat.