cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Call Quality

LMelchi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Ever since I switched to the $39/month 20GB plan I find that my call quality has gone down.

When receiving calls, after answering I am not able to hear the person and they are not able to hear me. After ending the call and calling back, this seems to fix it but the initial call is always an issue. During calls, there are also times where the person on the other end will cut in and out. Most of the time I have 2-4 bars of reception so I am not sure why the quality has been poor lately. 

Does anyone else have this issue? Any solutions?

6 REPLIES 6

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

You can try calling the Toronto & Victoria "test call" numbers listed here:
https://thetestcall.blogspot.com/

There's various options to record & playback, as well as a realtime echo test. Test calling this with 4G/VoLTE if it's currently enabled on your phone, and then by disabling LTE and trying again with 3G. Also test calling with your SIM in another phone and from different locations, as I see others have already suggested.

Can you confirm if you are currently on VoLTE? (ie - does your phone remain on LTE while on a voice call?) And do you recall if you were enabled for VoLTE before the plan change? Just in case the plan change somehow triggered some kind of reprovisioning of VoLTE and either enabled it or disabled it, opposite of what you had before...

@LMelchi   the change to your plan should not matter, probably just a coincidence

If you have not tried yet:

• change the Preferred network type or network mode to 3G only or WCDMA only and see if it works
  • Try to click Reset All Networks and see if it helps
  • and do you have another phone to test the PM sim ? just to make sure it is not a device problem.  Also, that can force a sim card re-provision and it could resolve the problem
  • Also, try the phone in another area if possible, it could be just a local network outage
  • You can also try to see if VoLTE helps.  But first, what brand and model of phone you have?
    You can check the VoLTE compatibility here:  https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte
    If you have a compatible one try to turn on VoLTE

iPhone: Likely no extra work need to do as Telus will enable by default but hide the option.  Still you can check
                     Settings->Cellular->Cellular Data Options->Voice & Data, enable 4G or LTE there
    Pixel Likely no extra work need to do as Telus will enable by default but hide the option.  Still you can check
                    Settings->Network and Internet->Internet, click on the settings icon besides SIM 1, turn on 4G calling there
    Samsung/ Other Android: Settings->Connection->Mobile Data, enable VoLTE there

Now, turn off Wifi first. Check if the phone status bar showing it is connected to 4G or LTE

Then make some calls, see if the signal indicator shows LTE or drop back to H or 3G while you are on the calls.  If it stays with LTE, then yes, you are using VoLTE, and you can see if calls are any better.  

@LMelchi  Can you try your SIM card in another phone and see if it improves . 

LMelchi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

It happens with more than one person and when I receive calls from both cellular and home phone. For the most part, calls are from people that live in the same city.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@LMelchi  Try the phone on different networks 3G /5G and see if that helps with voice assuming you have it in 4G /LTE . Play around with it in different areas and test 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@LMelchi 

does it always seems to be the same person and are either you or they generally in the same location with making or receiving the call?

Need Help? Let's chat.