cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pixel 4a - turning off my data turns off my network

jjamroziak
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi everyone,

I recently got a Pixel4a and when I go to turn off my data it shuts off the network so I can't call or text. I can get it to allow text messages but not calls when the data is turned off. Does anyone have a similar problem, if anyone else has this phone, or know how I can fix it?

Thank you

edit: I think I'm an idiot haha. Sorry guys.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13

skifan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@gpixel  I am getting close to 36 hours of battery life on my Pixel 5, so not much of a problem even if there is additional load. 🙂

Regardless, I hope the OP's problems are resolved wrt to data / network issues.

@gpixel wrote:

@skifan you might as well disable the 5g antenna. public mobile won't be supporting that tech anytime soon. you will probably save on battery life since your phone won't be searching for a 5g signal

@gpixel phone won't be searching for a 5G signal unless the LTE network tells it to do so. And in this case, Telus doesn't allow any PM subscribers to use 5G (DCNR restriction is enabled on all PM subscriber profiles), so the network won't ask your phone to scan any 5G frequencies. I wouldn't worry about it.

@skifan you might as well disable the 5g antenna. public mobile won't be supporting that tech anytime soon. you will probably save on battery life since your phone won't be searching for a 5g signal

skifan
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I have a Pixel 5 which (if you are on Android 11) should be pretty similar.  I am not experiencing the issue that you mentioned under the described circumstances. 

Data - off, Roaming - off, Wifi - off. Preferred Network - 5G.   

I  am still able to complete calls normally.

kaytus
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Ok. I am not really sure...

Sometimes, when u turn off the mobile data, it will go straight to airplane mode.

Make sure you are not in airplane mode.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@jjamroziak there was another pixel 4a user that had a similar problem. their issue was when they disabled "automatically receive MMS", their data would turn off. 

@jjamroziak 

Have you tried resetting your network settings ? Then reboot. Make sure its set to choose the network automatically.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jjamroziak   what was the solution or specifically what were you doing incorrectly? 

possibly toggling airplane mode by chance instead of just data?    what ever it is glad you figured it out.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This is not usual.  Even when on WiFi mobile data is turned off.  If turning off mobile data stops calling, then being on WiFi means no phone calls.  Anyway, I tried toggling my mobile data and calls are unaffected.  

I am not familiar with all the settings on the pixel 4a.  By chance is VoLTE turned on?  If so, turn off.  

jjamroziak

No it shuts the network down, no calls no texts, whether I set it to LTE, 3G, 5G.

It might be a google issue so I might have to contact them.

Thank though.

jjamroziak

I tried that but I get the same results, shuts the network down.

Thanks

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jjamroziak wrote:

Hi everyone,

I recently got a Pixel4a and when I go to turn off my data it shuts off the network so I can't call or text. I can get it to allow text messages but not calls when the data is turned off. Does anyone have a similar problem, if anyone else has this phone, or know how I can fix it?

Thank you

@jjamroziak hi if your phone is set for lte change to  3G

cavemantoronto
Mayor / Maire

@jjamroziak wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thank you

See if calls and text work if you set it to 3g network mode when using data.

Need Help? Let's chat.