cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone will not send or receive calls

Cannorth
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Since yesterdays upgrade, my phone has stopped sending or receiving calls. I tried calling my cell from my spouses phone and it went straight to voicemail without my phone ringing. Texting seems to work.

14 REPLIES 14

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Interesting looking at this cell sites map in the Port Rowan area:

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?lat=42.736936&lng=-80.423695&zoom=12&type=Road...

The 2closest bell towers to the northwest and east of you (which telus normally shares) only offers 700Mhz service (definitely LTE only) - and the next one to the northwest with 850+1900 is quite a bit farther away... Could be that something is down on that tower.. Could be interesting to see what happens if you go for a drive closer to that tower. If 850 is temporarily offline, maybe the remaining 1900Mhz signal is too weak at your current location.

Cannorth

Thanks for your help. I too am in Port Rowan. I have activated a ticket.

the phone is working sporadically, but only after rebooting the phone

@Cannorth   I think they confirmed there is a problem with 3G in your area.  3G network is needed for voice calls

Which city are you in ?  I think someone mentioned today that there is problem in Port Rowan as well

Please open a ticket with PM support so they can confirm if there is a known outage in the area:

1. If you have access to My account: At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you don't have access to My Account or have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply you there

Cannorth

When I switched to 3G only, it still let me send a text, but I noticed it no longer showed PM as my carrier

@Cannorth wrote:

So, a friend who lives locally also is experiencing the same issue with both their PM phones. Last night when they left this area, both phones worked, then stoped when they returned. That would seem to indicate this is a tower issue and not a phone issue???

Yes, if the 3G network is either temporarily or permanently offline in your area, SMS, MMS, Data will work, but calls will fail, as the phone needs to switch to 3G network for calls. There are, for example, also some newly deployed Bell towers in Ontario which Telus/Public Mobile share that were built with only LTE service. With public mobile, we will only have SMS/MMS/Data service in these areas.

To confirm if this is currently an issue in your area, you would need to try switching your phone to 3G only mode / disabling LTE then see if you have ANY service. If your phone is switched to 3G only / LTE disabled, then you should also lose ability to use SMS/MMS/Data...

I would hope that if your area previously had 3G service that this is only a temporary outage and not a permanent decommission that has occurred in your area...

Cannorth

No I am unable to call out either. Nothing happens.

Cannorth

So, a friend who lives locally also is experiencing the same issue with both their PM phones. Last night when they left this area, both phones worked, then stoped when they returned. That would seem to indicate this is a tower issue and not a phone issue???

@Cannorth   No, you don't need to any any code, you can try to put the PM PIN in your wife phone

You can also try to test the reception in an area away from your current place as it could be a local network issue at your specific location

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Cannorth 

Settings>>connections>>mobile networks>>network mode>>choose 3G only

You can also go to....

About phone>>Sim card status>>Signal strength : -50 dBm to -95 dBm your signal is in the norm. - 96 dBm to -109 dBm is on the weak side and -100 dBm and below is nearly unusable if not unusable.

Can you call out? If not what happens? Did you renew recently? It could be a provisioning issue.

Cannorth

I only had the option to select LTE or 3G, the phone didn’t work on either.

before I remove the SIM, will I need to input any type of code to reactivate it?

@Cannorth   What kind of phone do you have?  Brand and model?

Cannorth

How do I change my preferred network?

There could be an issue with the 3g network If you force your phone to that network, do texting and data still work?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Cannorth   If text works, I assume the Account status is Active.  But please login to My Account and confirm

Try to change your Preferred network to 3G Only /WCDMA Only/ HSPA Only and see if it works 

Also, try to reseat your SIM (power off, take sim out for a minute, then put it back and power on )

If you have another cell, like your spouse's one, put your PM sim there and see if it works

Need Help? Let's chat.