cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone setup for an iPhone 6 - doesn't have IOS Software update and can't upload the Public Mobile AP

LukeGarrity
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

My iPhone 6 in settings says its completely up-to-date, but when I go to get the Public Mobile APP from the APP Store, it won't upload because the IOS Software is not up-to-date.

Can I complete my phone setup and change my phone number on my desktop computer instead of installing the APP on my phone.  Or, do I need customer service to do it for me.

If I need customer service to do it for me, please send me an email address.

30 REPLIES 30

Grinch
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Nope … not bored … not b******* either,  Just expanding on the subject and what could be improved upon. And sharing for others to read if they too have similar issues. Welcome to the community @LukeGarrity 

Grinch

What was the effort? Please explain that one.

I understand why iOS does not work. I am not sure if it iOS or eversafe that I can’t get “by” on my iPad. But if an iPhone 6 can work I still think they should have left the web version for activation in place. 

Lots of new customers don’t know that they must use the APP. And I really never knew just until awhile ago. 🥹

I’ll ask my real buddies to chime in. 
@barrascuk @CountyDownIeUk and @LurganIeUk

Grinch

Buddy?
I am only talking about devices with incompatible iOS. Not macOS. So let’s not throw using windows or a library computer into the mix. 

LukeGarrity

I think you are just sad bored and have nothing better to do than to bitch at other people! Grow UP!!

LukeGarrity

I AM NEVER USING THIS COMMUNITY AGAIN!  WHAT A NIGHTMARE, PEOPLE STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grinch

@LukeGarrity 

Unsubscribe from thread

Turn off emails in your profile. 

You need to know what else WON’T work for you in the future. 

LukeGarrity

@Grinch 

No buddy, if you have a desktop you can do everything and actually even more on the My Account on the DESKTOP, if you only have an iPad, go to the Library and use their computer, that's what low-income savvy people do!

Now please, how do I delete this post so it stops attacking my inbox

@Grinch cool, you are probably more an Apple expert than me.

But to be fair, PM already put in more effort to make sure older iOS devices work with its services and access to the My Account.  "Not so old" Android devices have more troubles 🙂 

sorry @LukeGarrity 

one last one.. to avoid filling up your inbox, disable notification here

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-subscriptions:notificatio...

check mark:   Turn off all email notifications 

Grinch

I can reassure you that an older iPad will NOT work. Web or App. 

Won’t work on safari, chrome, duck duck go or Firefox. 

LukeGarrity

@Phil_Adelphus @Grinch @softech @Hollister 

OK Guys, please stop I keep getting emails about this subject, and I did say I would respond when I tried it!  So.  What worked is downloading the app  on the iPhone 7, sim card remained in the iPhone 6 - used the card that the sim card was attached to that had the serial number on it, used that number and activated my phone.  Shut down the iPhone 6, restarted it and it's all good and I now have an operational phone, I just don't have the APP installed. Which is fine by me, I can do everything else I need on my Desktop!

G'night ALL, and like I said no more messages PLEASE, you are filling up my inbox

@Grinch   The OP stated in the first post that he has a desktop computer.  You're saying you can't use My Account in Safari on your iPad?

@Grinch many IPad users have no trouble accessing My Account on browser

Other than Safari, you tried Chrome?

Grinch

Give me a break. Look at my post. So the iPhone 6 owner is then SOL for any viewing or transactions in My Account. 

@Grinch  "Someone says..after activation is done … no more need for APP. NOT TRUE".  In this particular instance it was in the context of the app not needing to be kept on someone else's iPhone after it was used for activation of the other iPhone.   

Grinch

NO. YOU CANNOT. Like I said in my last post I can do nothing, zip, diddly squat on web on my iPad that is running IOS 12.5.7, and iOS is not upgradable.  Nor will the app even download on it. 

@Grinch 

All you listed out above can be done on My Account using the browser. So, it is true that app is not needed after activation

The only thing you cannot do without the app is to buy eSIM

To be fair, have a minimum OS requirement is just to make sure the app is secure an safe

Grinch

@Phil_Adelphus 

You would think. To gain more business and allow low income customers to have accounts set up, that the APP would work on older versions of iOS and/or allow the complete activation process to be done on a web page, like it used to be.  

Someone says..after activation is done … no more need for APP. NOT TRUE. The access to the APP is still needed for:  

Add funds

Add a voucher

Buy an add on

Change plan, sim, phone number. 
View data left or minutes left. 

Ask questions on the community. 

Etc etc is it not?

I have an older iPad Air 1 and I can attest to the fact, I can do nothing with the APP or on the web. 

Using iPhone now. 

Does:

Public mobile list an iPhone 6 as compatible?

Even if it does work it should be listed as incompatible due to the APP not working. 
This conflict needs to be fixed, resolved or have instructions on how to stick handle the mis match. Does PM say the iPhone will accept an eSim? I guess not?!??

@LukeGarrity 

not guess.. Certain that  it will work. Physical sim is good.  It is the sim card # that ties with the account, and you can move the sim card to any compatible phone and it will still work

LukeGarrity

@Phil_Adelphus @softech @Hollister 

Thank you a bunch, I'm going to try Phil's solution and see what happens leaving the sim card in the iPhone6, setting it up on the iPhone7 and away we go, I'll let you all know how it turns out...stay tuned!   

Cheers!

Luke

LukeGarrity

@Phil_Adelphus  wow, I'm confused, how would the setup work if the sim card is in the iPhone6 and the APP is on the iPhone7??

@softech  "(with the sim card inside her iPhone)"  Shouldn't the sim stay in the iPhone 6?

LukeGarrity

@Phil_Adelphus @softech 

Guys, is this going to make the sim card only work with my Mom's iPhone 7, and are you just guessing that this will work, or do you know it will work?

Luke

@softech  "For you,  just download the PM app on your phone and activate for your mom"  I think it's the other way around, LukeGarrity has the iPhone 6 and needs to use his mom's iPhone 7 to activate.  So he doesn't need the sim in her iPhone 7, am I correct?

@LukeGarrity 

(updated , thanks @Phil_Adelphus )

No, you don't.

Have the sim card installed on your iPhone 6 still

Just download the PM app on the iPhone7 and activate.  Once you reached the end of the activation, reboot the iPhone 6 once (with the sim card inside her iPhone) and you should see it connects to PM network.  You might want to click Reset Network Settings if the phone has any trouble connecting to PM network or using the service

LukeGarrity

@Phil_Adelphus do I have to put my sim card in my Mom's phone, she has an iPhone7

LukeGarrity

My Mom has an iPhone 7, do I have to put my sim card in her phone to do this?

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@LukeGarrity   The app requires iOS 13 and the iPhone 6 can only go up to iOS 12 unfortunately.  Do you know anyone who would download the app for you just for the activation?  It's not needed after that.  If you have access to an iPad that would also work with the app.

LukeGarrity

Thank you for your advice, I sent a message to a customer service agent, hopefully they will get back to me soon!  That link you provided is great, but they are closed now, it's 8:19pm and they close at 8:00pm, if I don't get an answer from the CSR I'll try that in the morning.

Again, Thnx Hollister

Luke

Hollister
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire
Need Help? Let's chat.