cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number transfer issues

tristanyeom
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, I'm writing this for my parents' accounts because they can't sign in (reason given below) and they're not fluent in English.

On November 30th, my parents moved over from Fido and transferred their numbers. For some reason, they never received the text from Fido but the number was transferred and they used their old number using the new Public Mobile SIM cards. Fast forward to yesterday, January 9, 2024, they got a message saying they are being given new numbers because the number could not be ported. I called Fido to find out why, and they said its because they did not reply YES to their text message. I'm guessing they didn't receive the text because the SIM card was replaced too soon. I told them we'd have a problem requesting a number transfer again, because when the request goes through their automated text message will be sent to their old number which reverted back to the destroyed Fido SIM card. They told me if I can get a hold of Public Mobile's "Fallout team", you would be able to manually port my parents' numbers over without having to go through the text authentication process. The reason my parents can't sign in to their Public Mobile account is because the login's two-factor authentication sends a code to the Fido number (because it was ported over for a month), which they now don't have access to.

Please help resolve this. I did not add the phone numbers to this post because I'm unsure if this post is accessible to other members.

10 REPLIES 10

@Chalupa_Batman   There's no envelope icon in Safari on iPad either, as @pmbc said you have to tap your avatar to the right of the bell icon and then Messages are an option in the drop down to access the inbox.  I think this inconsistency is a problem because unlike the envelope icon which clearly indicates when there is a new message, there is nothing on the avatar to indicate anything unless you think to tap it.  Only then if there's a new message it will be indicated in the drop down next to Messages.  I know it puzzled me when I first started with PM and people were referring to this mysterious envelope!

@tristanyeom wrote:

Yes, they did receive new numbers and I know what they are. They still have the Fido account retained - I guess Fido didn't automatically close the account because the text authentication never went through

@tristanyeom 

but it has been a month since activation on Nov 30, the porting request still pending?? you already talked to porting team and confirmed?? they can still re-trigger the port??

tristanyeom

Yes, they did receive new numbers and I know what they are. They still have the Fido account retained - I guess Fido didn't automatically close the account because the text authentication never went through

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@tristanyeom I sent you a PM.  On mobile, I believe you click your avatar and it gives you menu option to check private messages.

Chalupa_Batman_0-1704937707738.png  

Good question. It should look the same....  I've never gone online with my cell phone before. Let me peek

tristanyeom

Thank you for your reply! Where can I see the number? 

tristanyeom

Hi Chalupa_Batman, thank you for the quick reply! I see the notification bell on the top right corner, but no mail. I'm on mobile. Is it only available on a computer?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@tristanyeom 

it has been a full month since activation and the original porting request have already expired and PM would have randomly picked a new number for your parent

Can you have your parent to call you and see what phone number is that?  that should be a new number

To get the old Fido number back, you have to make sure  the Fido account is still active.  If so, call Fido and tell them the situation and see if they account you to have the porting without the text authorization, they might allow that with the verbal approval

Once it is sorted, you can go into PM My Account and request porting again from Profile page, Transfer phone number

If you cannot login, you can either open ticket with PM support or try to use the email address to receive the 2FA code

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@tristanyeom This is a public forum so pls do not post the phone number.  I can send you the number to the port team to see if they can assist you in completing the port from Fido.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @tristanyeom 

Take a look in the top right corner mail. I'm going to send you the porting team number to get the Fido number ported over. I also sent you a link to contact a CS Agent to help you reset your parents online account.

And good move NOT to put numbers here. We are all customers like you. Nobody from Public Mobile on these forums. These are all open public forums. Keep that stuff secret. 

Need Help? Let's chat.