cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone number and service

Maddie-Jaclyn1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Does anyone know if my mobile phone will work for internet, photos and apps if I get rid of my phone plan altogether? I plan to just use call and text apps. Inflation is increasing and I can't keep both internet and phone plan. Which brings me to encourage you to not go with the unlimited data, you'll regret it.

6 REPLIES 6

DeelightfulDee2
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Maddie-Jaclyn1 

Are you sure you want to completely rid yourself of your mobile services? Are you on the old rewards or the new points rewards? The $15 plan gives you unlimited texts and incoming minutes with 100 outgoing minutes (+you can buy the $5 add on with 500 roll over minutes) and 250mb of data. You can suspend your account for up to 90 days if you want and just reactivate when needed or before 90 days to not lose the account and phone #. You can't always have access to wifi but when you do then textnow is a great option.

Maddie-Jaclyn1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Because not only is unlimited data not a real thing, the service stops working altogether when you exceeded your speed per in the plan, which takes a week to go through. They do this so you will pay more for add on data. The unlimited data plan was the worst I have ever experienced with any other carrier. I wish I wouldn't have done that. I finally found affordable internet though so that should be installed soon. Just don't want people to make the same mistake I did and regret it. It's a waste of money unfortunately

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

However, @Maddie-Jaclyn1 , why encourage folks "not go with the unlimited data, you'll regret it" ?

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Maddie-Jaclyn1   Yes you can use a mobile phone on wifi when you're at home and somewhere that offers public wifi.  When you're away from wifi you would need mobile data to use call and text apps.  PM doesn't have a data only plan but some other carriers do. 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Yes, it'll work with the features it has.

With wi-fi, you'll have everything EXCEPT calling and texting.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Maddie-Jaclyn1 

you can use your phone without a phone plan, but you will need Wifi

For text, generally speaking, you will need a phone plan for SMS to work

However, you can rely on VoIP app for making voice calls and sms.  Best VoIP app would be TextNow, it will provide you a 10 digits phone number and allows you to make and receive text and calls for free with that phone number.  But of course, the app still need Wifi to work

Need Help? Let's chat.