Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not working voice or text in USA

nickp
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

14 REPLIES 14

@nickp 

If you are in the US for a substantial period of time you may want to consider a US provider like cutie pie Ryan Reynolds' mint mobile with plans (3 month minimum) that start at $15/3gb, $20/8gb, $25/12gb, $30/unlimited with unlimited texting/calling including to Canada and Mexico. They also have a promo for the next 5 days to recieve a 3 month credit* (*conditions apply).

You can schedule a plan change (on the next renewal) to the lowest priced pm plan $15 to renew on if as I suspect you purchased the $50/8.5gb plan with US* calling (*while in Canada) that you can allow to suspend due to non payment if you remove autopay or you can suspend your service via lost/stolen. If you havent connected to a US cell providers tower you should retain voicemail  (w/lost/stolen) as long as you do not unsuspend your service and only call your phone number from another number ( like a mint mobile one?!!) to access your voicemail and press * and enter your pin#) but this very YMMV as I havent tested this in the US.

Please as others have mentioned we are only other fellow human beings trying to help you out. There are community terms of service you were required to read before joining that have also been simplified and pinned to the landing page and the community board within the site. Perhaps you should read them so you understand what basic forum "manners" are required of you.....you know that and karma.....might explain the situation you are currently in. Welcome to public mobile!

Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to keep up with an active account all the while you're in the states.

You need to deposit money and buy roaming add-ons for the services you want. They only last 10 days.

You need to scan for and connect to either AT&T or T-Mobile. Perhaps you're on auto so perhaps you got a text from here welcoming you to the US and inviting you to buy add-ons.

You need to go past the end of those 10 days to re-buy the same named add-on.

It would likely be cheaper for you to get local service. Or have a look at voip apps like TextNow for use while on wifi or otherwise connected to the internet. You don't even need cell service. You might want to keep your Canadian number though, so let your current plan suspend for lack of payment and then when you get back inside of 3 months just pay up again and you'll be back with what you had before you left.

Finally, if you have such a chip on your shoulder towards Telus and this place, maybe you might want to look elsewhere.

Spudster
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@nickp 

You know people are just trying to help here, right?

Why respond with "bleeping" this and "bleeping" that and other demeaning comments?

I'd offer some advice, but don't think I have anything constructive to add. 

Good luck and Welcome to Public Mobile!!! 

Oh boy, here comes my chance to get “reported” two days in a row just for trying to get info from a customer to help with a problem. 

AE_Collector

pubwmob
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

first, make sure you purchased a US add-on or roaming package in your self-serve account

second, check your phone setting, allow network roaming, good luck.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@nickp wrote:

who are you? I asked for a solution and this **bleep**e masquerading as Telus entered my life..lol what a piece of **bleep**. Then when trying to get a solution I get randoms like you popping up? Which hole did you crawl out of? 

We are all customers like you on here. We are trying to help you out so please be polite. Have you read any of the posts above to help your cause? 

nickp

who are you? I asked for a solution and this **bleep**e masquerading as Telus entered my life..lol what a piece of **bleep**. Then when trying to get a solution I get randoms like you popping up? Which hole did you crawl out of? 

@nickp 

Why would you buy a Canadian phone plan without seeing first how roaming in the US will work? If it were a post paid plan that charges you for extras after you use them...what if it turns out it is $10 a minute? In the case of prepaid plans like Public Mobile there is no paying after the fact, you have to purchase the required roaming plan first. If you did this and it isn’t working then you need to ask for help with that.

AE_Collector

Perhaps you'd be best served contacting the Public Mobile customer service folks.

To contact a moderator, there are 2 methods:

1. Use the ticketing system for a faster response time. Click on the chat bubble in the lower right and type moderator assistance, then select account-related issue, then select you need a human now.  Follow the prompts to submit a ticket,  or, 
  2. Send a private message to the moderator by clicking here

Watch for their response in your Community private mailbox which will be indicated by a number on the small envelope icon to the left of your Community avatar.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@nickp wrote:

what a load of **bleep**e. This is a joke...😆 purchased all this as the phone is in the US for 3 months - then get told the plan only works if the phone is in Canada!? Wtf what a scam...now I purchase USA add ons AND IT STILL DOESN"T WORK!? Typical Canadian airtime scam / piece of **bleep**. Rest of the world somehow works 

Buying an add on is a 2 step process. You need to add the funds to your account and then go and purchase the add on. Can you confirm the add-on is on your account. In self service it should be listed under My Data & Add-Ons.

nickp

what a load of **bleep**e. This is a joke...😆 purchased all this as the phone is in the US for 3 months - then get told the plan only works if the phone is in Canada!? Wtf what a scam...now I purchase USA add ons AND IT STILL DOESN"T WORK!? Typical Canadian airtime scam / piece of **bleep**. Rest of the world somehow works 

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@nickp...

log into your PM account and add sufficient $$ to Available Funds to cover the cost of the 10 Day US Roaming add-on that you need. Then go to Purchase Add-ons and select the 10 Day US Roaming add-on that you need. Restart phone. You might have to manually select either AT&T or T-mobile whichever works best while you're in US.

@nickp wrote:

Have you purchase a roaming add-on?  Unless you have a plan that includes U.S. roaming or have purchase a roaming add-on, nothing except incoming text messages wil work while you're in the U.S.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

Hi @nickp 

Please use the 3 dots in upper right hand corner of your post to REMOVE your phone number.   This is a public forum.

Did you purchase a US add-on or roaming package before going to US?

Need Help? Let's chat.